The Texans took two edge rushers, two centers, two wide receivers, quarterback, one linebacker, and one safety in this year’s draft.
They were able to secure two blue chip prospects in quarterback C.J. Stroud and edge rusher Will Anderson Jr. with the second and third overall picks.
Let’s take a closer look into the Texans’ NFL Draft Recap.
Texans NFL Draft Picks 2023
- Round 1, Pick 2 Overall: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
- Round 1, Pick 3 Overall (From ARI): Will Anderson Jr., EDGE, Alabama
- Round 2, Pick 62 Overall (From PHI): Juice Scruggs, C, Penn State
- Round 3, Pick 69 Overall (From LAR): Tank Dell, WR, Houston
- Round 4, Pick 109 Overall (From LV): Dylan Horton, EDGE, TCU
- Round 5, Pick 167 Overall (From LAR): Henry To’oTo’o, LB, Alabama
- Round 6, Pick 201 Overall (From MIN): Jarrett Patterson, C, Notre Dame
- Round 6, Pick 205 Overall (From BUF): Xavier Hutchinson, WR, Iowa State
- Round 7, Pick 248 Overall (From PHI): Brandon Hill, S, Pittsburgh
Texans NFL Futures Odds
Now that the NFL Draft is complete, get ready for the 2023-24 NFL season with the latest Texans’ odds and futures betting markets.
Texans Draft Grade 2023
Texans NFL Draft Grade: C+
I gave the Texans a C+ for securing their new franchise quarterback, but making a reckless trade up to third overall. It’s never a good idea for a rebuilding team to give up premium draft capital to move up in the draft.
Click to see our full report card of 2023 NFL Draft Grades.
Note: The following information was written prior to the 2023 NFL Draft.
Texans Draft Team Needs 2023
The Texans are in position to address quarterback, which has been a major need since Deshaun Watson was traded to the Browns. Both Bryce Young and C.J. Stroud are excellent prospects, so Houston is essentially a lock to take whichever player falls into their lap.
2. Wide Receiver
Houston lost veteran wideout Brandin Cooks to free agency, so this position is a clear need. While Nico Collins has made strides and Robert Woods was a savvy addition, the Texans can get a true No. 1 receiver by taking Jaxon Smith-Njigba, who is the top wideout in this class.
3. Edge Rusher
Edge rusher is a clear need to pair with veteran Jerry Hughes, who will be entering his age-35 season. They added defensive tackle Sheldon Rankins in free agency and now it’s time to infuse some young talent to upgrade on Jonathan Greenard (55.3 Pass Rush Grade, PFF).
Texans May Also Consider Drafting: Cornerback, Offensive Guard
Texans NFL Draft Round 1 Mock 2023
- Round 1, Pick 2 Overall: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
- Round 1, Pick 12 Overall: Jaxon Smith-Njigba, WR, Ohio State
As of April 5, our own Anthony Cervino is predicting the Texans will pick this highly-touted and pro-ready quarterback prospect with big-game experience, pairing him with a stud wideout who had exceptional college production in 2021. Read our full NFL Mock Draft.
Texans NFL Draft Pick History
Texans NFL Draft Picks 2022
- Round 1, Pick 3 (3rd Overall): Derek Stingley Jr., CB, LSU
- Round 1, Pick 15 (15th Overall): Kenyon Green, OG, Texas A&M
- Round 2, Pick 5 (37th Overall): Jalen Pitre, S, Baylor
- Round 2, Pick 12 (44th Overall): John Metchie III, WR, Alabama
- Round 3, Pick 11 (75th Overall): Christian Harris, LB, Alabama
- Round 4, Pick 2 (107th Overall): Dameon Pierce, RB, Florida
- Round 5, Pick 7 (150th Overall): Thomas Booker, DT, Stanford
- Round 5, Pick 27 (170th Overall): Teagan Quitoriano, TE, Oregon State
- Round 6, Pick 27 (205th Overall): Austin Deculus, OT, LSU