The suddenly rebuilding Green Bay Packers added some much-needed draft capital when they finally dealt franchise quarterback Aaron Rodgers to the New York Jets.
Green Bay made 13 selections across the three-day NFL Draft in Kansas City. It used eight picks on offensive players while trying to overhaul its roster and surround quarterback Jordan Love with weapons.
But did it do enough to turn its bleak outlook around? Here’s a look at the 2023 Packers draft class.
Packers NFL Draft Picks 2023
- Round 1, Pick 13 Overall (From NYJ): Lukas Van Ness, LB, Iowa
- Round 2, Pick 42 Overall (From CLE via NYJ): Luke Musgrave, TE, Oregon State
- Round 2, Pick 50 Overall (From TB): Jayden Reed, WR, Michigan State
- Round 3, Pick 78 Overall: Tucker Kraft, TE, South Dakota State
- Round 4, Pick 116 Overall: Colby Wooden, LB, Auburn
- Round 5, Pick 149 Overall: Sean Clifford, QB, Penn State
- Round 5, Pick 159 Overall (From JAC via ATL, DET): Dontayvion Wicks, WR, Virginia
- Round 6, Pick 179 Overall (From HOU via TB): Karl Brooks, LB, Bowling Green
- Round 6, Pick 207 Overall (From SF via HOU, NYJ): Anders Carlson, K, Auburn
- Round 7, Pick 232 Overall: Carrington Valentine, CB, Kentucky
- Round 7, Pick 235 Overall (From DET via LAR): Lew Nichols III, RB, Central Michigan
- Round 7, Pick 242 Overall (From JAC): Anthony Johnson Jr., S, Iowa State
- Round 7, Pick 256 Overall (Compensatory): Grant DuBose, WR, Charlotte
Packers NFL Futures Odds
Now that the NFL Draft is complete, get ready for the 2023-24 NFL season with the latest Packers odds and futures betting markets.
Packers Draft Grade 2023
Packers NFL Draft Grade: C+
Our Frank Ammirante gave the Packers a C+ and applauded their selection of Van Ness, the 2022 Second-Team All-Big Ten selection, as well as Musgrave, who shared First-Team All-Pac 12 honors with first-round selection Dalton Kincaid.
However, Ammirante docked Green Bay’s decision to spend a draft pick on Clifford and didn’t approve of their decision to take Reed over 2022 Biletnikoff Award winner Jalin Hyatt in Round 2.
Click to see our full report card of 2023 NFL Draft Grades.
Note: The following information was written prior to the 2023 NFL Draft.
Packers Draft Team Needs 2023
1. Wide Receiver
Green Bay has watched its leading receiver leave in consecutive offseasons, first when it traded Davante Adams to Las Vegas then when Allen Lazard signed with the Jets. Tight end Robert Tonyan and veteran Randall Cobb are also gone, with Tonyan signing with the rival Bears.
Green Bay still has second-year receivers Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs, which it drafted in 2022, but would stand to gain at least one more pass-catcher with its 10 selections.
2. Edge Rusher
The Packers were tied for 27th in sacks in 2022, led by veteran Preston Smith‘s 8.5. Smith is back, but will turn 31 on Nov. 17, and in a game that’s becoming increasingly about getting after the passer, Green Bay would be wise to add an outside linebacker or defensive end who can play opposite Smith.
3. Offensive Line
Rodgers was sacked 32 times last season, the 14th-highest total in the NFL. Although Love is a bit more agile than the 39-year-old, Green Bay would be wise to bring in a guard or tackle who can help keep its franchise QB upright.
Packers May Also Consider Drafting: Backup Quarterback, Linebacker
Packers NFL Draft Round 1 Mock 2023
Round 1, Pick 15 Overall: Dalton Kincaid, Tight End, Utah
As of April 6, our own Anthony Cervino is predicting the Packers will pick the All-Pac-12 Conference tight end with its first-round pick. Read our full NFL Mock Draft.
Packers NFL Draft Pick History
Packers NFL Draft Picks 2022
- Round 1, Pick 22 (22nd Overall): Quay Walker, LB, Georgia
- Round 1, Pick 28 (28th Overall): Devonte Wyatt, DT, Georgia
- Round 2, Pick 2 (34th Overall): Christian Watson, WR, North Dakota State
- Round 3, Pick 28 (92nd Overall): Sean Rhyan, OL, UCLA
- Round 4, Pick 27 (132nd Overall): Romeo Doubs, WR, Nevada
- Round 4, Pick 35 (140th Overall): Zach Tom, OL, Wake Forest
- Round 5, Pick 36 (179th Overall): Kingsley Enagbare, LB, South Carolina
- Round 7, Pick 7 (228th Overall): Tariq Carpenter, S, Georgia Tech
- Round 7, Pick 13 (234th Overall): Jonathan Ford, DT, Miami
- Round 7, Pick 28 (249th Overall): Rasheed Walker, OT, Penn State
- Round 7, Pick 37 (258th Overall): Samori Toure, WR, Nebraska