The Dallas Cowboys were one of the few teams that didn’t get trade-happy at the 2023 NFL Draft.
Dallas made just one draft-weekend deal, sticking with seven of its eight selections. The Cowboys may not have landed the best player at each position of need — they were hopped by the Buffalo Bills in the first round for tight end Dalton Kincaid — but they did add to their skill positions and defense over the three-day draft.
Here’s a look at the Dallas Cowboys’ 2023 draft class.
Cowboys NFL Draft Picks 2023
- Round 1, Pick 26 Overall: Mazi Smith, DT, Michigan
- Round 2, Pick 58 Overall: Luke Schoonmaker, TE, Michigan
- Round 3, Pick 90 Overall: DeMarvion Overshown, LB, Texas
- Round 4, Pick 129 Overall: Viliami Fehoko Jr., DE, San Jose State
- Round 5, Pick 169 Overall (Compensatory): Asim Richards, OT, North Carolina
- Round 6, Pick 178 Overall (From CHI via MIA, KC): Eric Scott Jr., CB, Southern Mississippi
- Round 6, Pick 212 Overall (Compensatory): Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State
- Round 7, Pick 244 Overall: Jalen Brooks, WR, South Carolina
Cowboys NFL Futures Odds
Now that the NFL Draft is complete, get ready for the 2023-24 NFL season with the latest Cowboys odds and futures betting markets.
Cowboys Draft Grade 2023
Cowboys NFL Draft Grade: C+
Our Frank Ammirante gave the Cowboys a C+ for their decision to pass on Notre Dame tight end Michael Mayer to select Smith, then again passing over Georgia TE Darnell Washington for Schoonmaker.
He did credit Dallas for nabbing Overshown, a projected middle-of-the-third-round selection, with the 90th overall pick.
Click to see our full report card of 2023 NFL Draft Grades.
Note: The following information was written prior to the 2023 NFL Draft.
Cowboys Draft Team Needs 2023
1. Running Back
The Cowboys have had an embarrassment of riches in their backfield over the past three decades, but their RB position looks thin for 2023. Dallas released three-time Pro Bowler Ezekiel Elliott in a cap-saving measure and used its franchise tag on Tony Pollard despite the fact he will miss time in 2023 after breaking his leg in the Cowboys’ 19-12 playoff loss to San Francisco.
The Cowboys added Ronald Jones in free agency but will undoubtedly use the draft to bulk up their backfield.
2. Defensive Line
The Cowboys have a great defense but were one of the most porous against the run in 2022. Dallas finished 25th in the NFL against the run, allowing 135.7 yards per game.
Dallas has a solid linebacker group, led by two-time All-Pro Micah Parsons and inside linebacker Leighton Vander Esch, who had a resurgent season. If Dallas can add another run-stuffing D-lineman, perhaps with the 25th pick, it will make those two even better at limiting opposition rushing games.
3. Tight End
Tight end has been one of the most effective positions for the Cowboys, yet they lost Dalton Schultz, their second-leading receiver in 2022, in free agency to Houston.
There are multiple high-end tight ends, including Dalton Kincaid from Utah and Michael Mayer of Notre Dame, and it wouldn’t be stunning to see the Cowboys select either if they’re available with the No. 26 pick.
Cowboys May Also Consider Drafting: Safety, Offensive Line
Cowboys NFL Draft Round 1 Mock 2023
- Round 1, Pick 26 Overall: Bijan Robinson, RB, Texas
As of April 5, our own Anthony Cervino is predicting the Cowboys will pick the 2022 Doak Walker Award winner who finished with 1,580 rushing yards with the No. 26 pick. Read our full NFL Mock Draft.
Cowboys NFL Draft Pick History
Cowboys NFL Draft Picks 2022
- Round 1, Pick 24 (24th Overall): Tyler Smith, OT, Tulsa
- Round 2, Pick 24 (56th Overall): Sam Williams, EDGE, Mississippi
- Round 3, Pick 24 (88th Overall): Jalen Tolbert, WR, South Alabama
- Round 4, Pick 24 (129th Overall): Jake Ferguson, TE, Wisconsin
- Round 5, Pick 12 (155th Overall): Matt Waletzko, OT, North Dakota
- Round 5, Pick 24 (167th Overall): DaRon Bland, CB, Fresno State
- Round 5, Pick 33 (176th Overall): Damone Clark, LB, LSU
- Round 5, Pick 35 (178th Overall): John Ridgeway, DT, Arkansas
- Round 6, Pick 14 (193rd Overall): Devin Harper, LB, Oklahoma State