The San Francisco 49ers have reached the NFC Conference Championship Game in each of the past two seasons and are considered to be one of the top teams in the NFC again heading into the 2023 campaign.
However, San Francisco paid a heavy price to get into “win-now” mode, and did not have any picks in the first two rounds of the 2023 NFL Draft. The 49ers traded their 2023 first-round pick to acquire Trey Lance, and then dealt away their 2023 second-, third-, and fourth-rounders to acquire Christian McCaffrey.
The Niners did receive six compensatory picks, and while they did not make any picks until the third round, San Francisco did have three selections in Round 3. Overall, the defending NFC West champions were able to acquire some depth with their nine picks.
With two of their first three picks, the 49ers added possible pieces for the future at safety and tight end. But then they pulled a stunner by using one of their third-rounders on a kicker.
49ers NFL Draft Picks 2023
- Round 3, Pick 87 Overall (from MIN): Ji’Ayir Brown, S, Penn State
- Round 3, Pick 99 Overall: Jake Moody, K, Michigan
- Round 3, Pick 101 Overall: Cameron Latu, TE, Alabama
- Round 5, Pick 155 Overall (From MIA): Darrell Luter Jr., CB, South Alabama
- Round 5, Pick 173 Overall: Robert Beal Jr., EDGE, Georgia
- Round 6, Pick 216 Overall: Dee Winters, LB, TCU
- Round 7, Pick 247 Overall: Brayden Willis, TE, Oklahoma
- Round 7, Pick 253 Overall: Ronnie Bell, WR, Michigan
- Round 7, Pick 255 Overall: Jalen Graham, LB, Purdue
49ers NFL Futures Odds
Now that the NFL Draft is complete, get ready for the 2023-24 NFL season with the latest 49ers odds and futures betting markets.
49ers Draft Grade 2023
49ers NFL Draft Grade: D
Our Frank Ammirante gave the 49ers a D for their confounding selection of Moody, and a shaky pick of Latu at a position that was not a pressing need. San Francisco was tied for the lowest grade among all NFL teams in the 2023 NFL Draft, failing to make use of the earliest picks still available to it.
Click to see our full report card of 2023 NFL Draft Grades.
Note: The following information was written prior to the 2023 NFL Draft.
49ers Draft Team Needs 2023
1. Offensive Tackle
Left tackle is not an issue for San Francisco, where Trent Williams is a prominent pillar of strength. But after losing Mike McGlinchey in free agency to Denver, the right tackle spot is a legitimate area of concern.
San Francisco’s contingency plan was to sign Colton McKivitz to a two-year extension, but he has started only five games in his three-season career. McKivitz might be more ideally suited to functioning as a top reserve swing tackle, and the Niners can draft a projected eventual replacement for him if he proves to be an unstable starter.
If McKivitz can nail down the RT job for certain, whomever the 49ers draft can at least serve as a top-depth option. San Francisco can use any help possible, too, as ESPN has ranked its offensive line 30th in the league heading into the NFL Draft.
2. Edge Rusher
Obviously, Nick Bosa is a major presence, but he needs more depth behind him and on the other side. Losing Samson Ebukam and Charles Omenihu in free agency made this more of an area of need.
The hope is that second-year man Drake Jackson will step forward and make a bigger impact in 2023. Clelin Ferrell and Austin Bryant were brought in as free agents, but neither newcomer was a major impact addition.
If Jackson can deliver a breakout season or Ferrell shows he can kickstart his career with a new team, anyone the Niners draft can still provide needed quality depth.
The team does seem to feel comfortable with Charvarius Ward and Deommodore Lenoir as the projected starters. Addressing the lack of depth behind them should be another goal to check off during the draft.
San Francisco did sign former Falcons cornerback Isaiah Oliver in free agency. The 49ers were reportedly eyeing him in the 2018 draft, and he can fit as a nickel back.
A quality rookie, though, can add further depth in case of injuries and bolster the secondary against the better-passing offenses the Niners will face.
49ers May Also Consider Drafting: Safety, Linebacker, Tight End
49ers NFL Draft Round 3 Mock 2023
- Round 3, Pick 99 Overall: Kobie Turner, DL, Wake Forest
As of April 11, our own Anthony Cervino is predicting that the 49ers will pick this high-energy pass rusher to bolster the defensive line with their first selection in the third round. Read our full NFL Mock Draft.
49ers NFL Draft Pick History
49ers NFL Draft Picks 2022
- Round 2, Pick 29 (61st Overall): Drake Jackson, EDGE, USC
- Round 3, Pick 29 (93rd Overall): Tyrion Davis-Price, RB, LSU
- Round 3, Pick 41 (105th Overall): Danny Gray, WR, SMU
- Round 4, Pick 29 (134th Overall): Spencer Burford, G, Texas-San Antonio
- Round 5, Pick 29 (172nd Overall): Samuel Womack, CB, Toledo
- Round 6, Pick 8 (187th Overall): Nick Zakelj, OT, Fordham
- Round 6, Pick 42 (220th Overall): Kalia Davis, DT, UCF
- Round 6, Pick 43 (221st Overall): Tariq Castro-Fields, CB, Penn State
- Round 7, Pick 41 (262nd Overall): Brock Purdy, QB, Iowa State