The New Orleans Saints took care of their quarterback situation in free agency, picking up Derek Carr on a four-year, $150 million deal.
After using their opening two picks to rebuild the defensive front, the Saints added depth pieces — backup running back, an offensive lineman behind two players in contract years, and Fresno State quarterback Jake Haener — throughout the remainder of the draft as they continue to navigate their ongoing cap issues.
Here’s a look at New Orleans’ 2023 draft class.
Saints NFL Draft Picks 2023
- Round 1, Pick 29 Overall (From SF via MIA, DEN): Bryan Bresee, DT, Clemson
- Round 2, Pick 40 Overall: Isaiah Foskey, EDGE, Notre Dame
- Round 3, Pick 71 Overall: Kendre Miller, RB, TCU
- Round 4, Pick 103 Overall (From CHI): Nick Saldiveri, G, Old Dominion
- Round 4, Pick 127 Overall (From JAC): Jake Haener, QB, Fresno State
- Round 5, Pick 146 Overall: Jordan Howden, S, Minnesota
- Round 6, Pick 195 Overall (From PIT via DEN): A.T. Perry, WR, Wake Forest
Saints NFL Futures Odds
Now that the NFL Draft is complete, get ready for the 2023-24 NFL season with the latest Saints odds and futures betting markets.
Saints Draft Grade 2023
Saints NFL Draft Grade: C+
Our Frank Ammirante gave the Saints a C+ for the nice pick of Bryan Bresee at the end of the first round, but reaching on Kendre Miller in the third round, even with the question marks around Alvin Kamara, knocked them down the list.
Check out our full 2023 NFL Draft Grades.
Note: The following information was written prior to the 2023 NFL Draft.
Saints Draft Team Needs 2023
1. Edge Rusher
This is the most urgent need after the loss of Marcus Davenport. Cameron Jordan is still one of the best defensive ends in the NFL, but he’s aging and in the last year of his contract.
Outside of Jordan, the roster is full of replacement level or below talent, so the Saints will almost certainly beef up the defensive line in a deep and talented edge rusher class.
2. Wide Receiver
Even with Michael Thomas restructuring his contract, the unknowns surrounding the WR room are blatant. Thomas has missed the last two seasons with injuries, and although Olave appears to be a nice piece, this room desperately needs more depth.
3. Running Back
Even though the Saints have a star in Alvin Kamara and signed Williams in free agency, there is enough uncertainty around Kamara’s possible suspension and future to warrant a Day 2 or Day 3 pick on a running back.
Williams had a career year last year for Detroit, setting the franchise record with 17 touchdowns, but just turned 28 years old. And while Kamara has stayed relatively healthy throughout his career, he is starting to accumulate a lot of tread on the tires.
Saints May Also Consider Drafting: Defensive Tackle, Secondary
Saints NFL Draft Round 1 Mock 2023
- Round 1, Pick 29 Overall: Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia
As of April 7, our own Anthony Cervino is predicting the Saints will pick this lengthy cornerback out of Georgia. Read our full NFL Mock Draft.
Saints NFL Draft Pick History
Saints NFL Draft Picks 2022
- Round 1, Pick 11 (11th Overall): Chris Olave, WR, Ohio State
- Round 1, Pick 19 (19th Overall): Trevor Penning, OT, Northern Iowa
- Round 2, Pick 17 (49th Overall): Alontae Taylor, CB, Tennessee
- Round 5, Pick 18 (161st Overall): D’Marco Jackson, LB, Appalachian State
- Round 6, Pick 15 (194th Overall): Jordan Jackson, DT, Air Force