The Carolina Panthers made arguably the most aggressive deal of the offseason, trading up to the No. 1 overall pick to eventually select Bryce Young.
After trading up, the Panthers only had five picks in the 2023 draft. So, not only is it vital that they hit on the quarterback, but also fill other key needs, including replacing D.J. Moore and giving Young another weapon.
Panthers NFL Draft Picks 2023
- Round 1, Pick 1 Overall (From CHI): Bryce Young, QB, Alabama
- Round 2, Pick 39 Overall: Jonathan Mingo, WR, Ole Miss
- Round 3, Pick 80 Overall (From PIT): DJ Johnson, EDGE, Oregon
- Round 4, Pick 114 Overall: Chandler Zavala, G, NC State
- Round 5, Pick 145 Overall: Jammie Robinson, S, Florida State
Panthers NFL Futures Odds
Now that the NFL Draft is complete, get ready for the 2023-24 NFL season with the latest Panthers odds and futures betting markets.
Panthers Draft Grade 2023
Panthers NFL Draft Grade: B-
Our Frank Ammirante gave the Panthers a B- for making the correct moves on Young and Jonathan Mingo in the second round, but Carolina received a middle-of-the-pack grade after giving up a number of picks to do so.
Click to see our full report card of 2023 NFL Draft Grades.
Note: The following information was written prior to the 2023 NFL Draft.
Panthers Draft Team Needs 2023
The Panthers currently have just Andy Dalton and Matt Corral on the roster and are seemingly tired of playing musical chairs at the position after doing so for the last five-plus years. Carolina traded four high-value picks and a talented wideout in Moore to select the future face of the franchise.
Nothing is ever guaranteed in the NFL, but the Panthers selecting a quarterback at No. 1 is as close as possible to being one.
2. Edge Rusher
Carolina needs help everywhere and edge rusher is certainly a key spot. With the Panthers converting to a 3-4 base front, it seems probable they look to add depth to their defensive line room.
Brian Burns is the star of the line right now, but his future remains unclear as he hasn’t yet signed a long-term extension and has a substantial payday around the corner. Even if Carolina plans to bring back Burns, adding another edge rusher to pair with him would set the Panthers up for the foreseeable future.
3. Wide Receiver
After trading Moore and likely acquiring their quarterback of the future at No. 1, Carolina should also look to add some playmakers.
The addition of veterans Adam Thielen and DJ Chark via free agency gives them the freedom to not rush anything, but I’d be surprised if they didn’t look to bring in and develop a young wideout as well.
Panthers May Also Consider Drafting: Inside Linebacker, Offensive Line
Panthers NFL Draft Round 1 Mock 2023
- Round 1, Pick 1 Overall: C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State
As of April 6, our own Anthony Cervino is predicting the Panthers will pick this blue-chip quarterback out of Ohio State. Read our full NFL Mock Draft.
Panthers NFL Draft Pick History
Panthers NFL Draft Picks 2022
- Round 1, Pick 6 (6th Overall): Ikem Ekwonu, OT, NC State
- Round 3, Pick 30 (94th Overall): Matt Corral, QB, Ole Miss
- Round 4, Pick 15 (120th Overall): Brandon Smith, LB, Penn State
- Round 6, Pick 10 (189th Overall): Amare Barno, EDGE, Virginia Tech
- Round 6, Pick 21 (199th Overall): Cade Mays, G, Tennessee
- Round 7, Pick 21 (242nd Overall): Kalon Barnes, CB, Baylor