PA Online Sports Betting Sites
Your Guide to PA Betting Sites
Pennsylvania was the seventh state to allow sports betting within its borders, joining Nevada, Delaware, New Jersey, Mississippi, West Virginia, and New Mexico. It has become extremely popular throughout the state, becoming one of the largest betting markets in the country.
The state originally legalized sports betting in late 2017. However, due to the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA), the law was put on hold. With an activation clause in place, sports betting became legal in the state 5 months after PASPA was deemed unconstitutional.
Here’s what you need to know about sports betting in Pennsylvania.
Can I Bet on Sports in Pennsylvania?
Yes, you can bet on sports in Pennsylvania. You can bet at home online, on mobile from your phone, or in-person at various casinos and turf clubs.
Do I Have To Be a Resident of Pennsylvania to Bet Online?
No, you do not. Just as with any brick-and-mortar sportsbook or casino, all you have to do is be inside the state lines to participate. Like many other online gambling providers regulated by the local and state governments, Pennsylvania uses geolocation and IP monitoring to ensure that all wagers are placed legally within the state borders. Any violation of these restrictions can result in heavy fines and other penalties.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in Pennsylvania?
You need to be at least 21-years-old in order to legally place sports bets in Pennsylvania.
Why Should I Join a Pennsylvania Betting Site?
Betting in Pennsylvania is fun and easy to do. More importantly, it’s extremely safe and secure for bettors. Here are some reasons why you should bet in Pennsylvania:
- All legal sportsbooks in the state are licensed and regulated by the Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board.
- The betting sites are audited to make sure your personal information and funds are safe and secure.
- It’s very convenient as you can bet at home or on the go.
- Betting lines are fair and consistent.
- Sportsbooks offer welcome bonuses and promotions.
- Live betting is available, where you can find value on in-game wagers.
- Customer support is timely and efficient on betting sites.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Offshore sportsbooks are kind of illegal and definitely unregulated.
- There are way fewer banking options.
- You can’t trust that you’ll be paid.
- There are fewer betting options available.
- There are no online sports betting apps available so it’s more inconvenient.
- Odds are often overpriced and do not align with the market.
- Customer service can be unreliable, making it difficult to resolve any issues.
PA Sports Betting Sites
There are several sports betting sites available in Pennsylvania, giving you multiple options for online betting. The list below offers some choices to players who live in the Keystone State and those who may just be visiting.
Each site offers different sports betting choices and options to players, so you should look over what each site offers before making your decision. Here are some of the sites at which you can place your bets online when in Pennsylvania:
DraftKings Sportsbook has long been heralded as the leader in daily fantasy sports wagering. It now offers the same level of fan experience in its sportsbook. It has become one of the most popular sites in the country.
The site accepts several deposit methods to make transactions quick and simple for its players. It features a user-friendly app that helps optimize the mobile betting experience.
DraftKings has a comprehensive selection of betting markets, including a variety of player props that help differentiate the site from its competitors.
FanDuel Sportsbook is a leader in both daily fantasy sports and sports betting throughout the country. It offers one of the most popular betting apps due to its responsive and lightning-fast interface.
The site developed Same Game Parlays, which have become one of the most popular bet types throughout the industry. FanDuel features an unmatched selection of player props, making these parlays even more desirable.
There are also useful welcome bonuses and promotions available throughout the year at FanDuel. It’s a great betting site where users can feel secure depositing funds into their accounts.
Caesars Sportsbook is one of the most reputable brands in the casino resort and sports betting industry. The company really expanded its operations after buying popular sportsbook William Hill in August 2021.
The site features some of the best welcome bonuses and promotions in the industry along with a robust rewards program that allows users to redeem rewards at the company’s hotels and casinos.
From multiple payment methods to a comprehensive selection of betting markets, Caesars has what you want in a sportsbook.
BetMGM Sportsbook is a well-known brand with an excellent reputation. The site was formed out of a partnership between MGM Resorts and Entain Holdings, so you can feel secure with such an established group in the industry.
The sportsbook offers enticing welcome bonuses, a full slate of games and contests to wager on, and excellent customer support. There are also several daily odds boosts, which provide bettors with more value on their selections.
BetMGM provides a detailed live-betting platform with live-streaming on selected events, allowing you to follow along with your wager in real-time.
Unibet Sportsbook was one of the early players in the legal online gambling movement in the US, establishing internet-based casinos, sportsbooks, and poker sites in multiple states for over 11 million customers in over 100 countries.
With many years of experience in the online gaming industry, it can offer players competitive bonuses and ongoing promotions, along with various other features and perks. The app is also of high quality with a visually appealing interface.
You’ll find several betting markets at Unibet, including escalator player props for football, where you can bet at higher yardage totals for better payouts, a feature that helps set Unibet apart from its competition.
BetRivers Sportsbook operates sportsbooks and casinos in a number of states. It has developed into a popular betting site in the country, often one of the first to open up in new markets.
It is a safe and reliable sportsbook, so you can always feel at ease when depositing funds into your account. The customer support team is helpful and available on multiple platforms.
BetRivers features useful promotions along with the ability to live-stream certain events. This feature goes well with their active live-betting section.
FOX Bet Sportsbook
FOX Bet Sportsbook operates in several states with continued expansion expected in the foreseeable future. What makes this provider unique is the fact that it has such a large TV and media presence.
The sportsbook was created out of a partnership between media giant FOX and The Stars Group, which created popular online poker site PokerStars. The Stars Group already was established in sports betting with their Bet Stars sportsbook.
FOX Bet allows users to cash out of their bets to take a win early as well as create 20-leg parlays for high payouts. You’ll also find some of your favorite FOXSports on-air personalities throughout the website, which is a cool feature.
Betway Sportsbook launched in the United Kingdom in 2006, establishing itself as one of the more reputable brands in Europe. They entered the fray in the United States in 2021 and continue to expand across the country.
The site features a robust selection of daily odds boosts, known as Betway boosts. These are available across several betting markets, which helps set Betway apart from the competition.
Betway has a detailed live-betting platform along with an efficient payment process. You’ll also find several promotions to help you get off to a strong start with sports betting.
PointsBet Sportsbook originated out of Australia but has quickly become one of the most popular betting sites in the country, expanding across several states.
It’s renowned for its innovative bet type known as Points Betting. This is a higher risk, greater reward style of wagering, where you win more if your team has a larger winning margin, but lose more if the opposite is true. It’s especially great for player props betting.
The betting site features useful welcome bonuses and promotions along with multiple payment methods and a helpful customer support team.
Barstool Sportsbook is another sportsbook with a strong media presence, particularly online, in the world of sports news and commentary.
It offers a wide range of online sports such as Australian rules football, basketball, cricket, cycling, and motorsports. The site operates under Penn National and will eventually expand across the country.
There is also useful welcome bonuses and promotions available at Barstool, as well as a user-friendly app.
How Do I Join Pennsylvania Sports Betting Sites?
Online sports betting sites in Pennsylvania are highly regulated and monitored. Here are the basics when it comes to signing up at one of these web-based sports gambling providers:
- Enter your email address.
- Create a password.
- Select your username.
- Enter your first and last name, last four digits of your Social Security number, date of birth, address, and phone number.
- Enter any applicable bonus or promo codes.
- Provide photo identification to verify your account for future withdrawals.
How To Fund My Account
The deposit and withdrawal process for Pennsylvania online sportsbooks is relatively easy. Not every sportsbook shares the same options, but it’s still user-friendly across the board.
Whether you’re doing it for the first time or you’re an existing customer, depositing is a simple process. You’ll find the steps outlined below.
- Click Deposit, Add Funds, or Cashier
- Choose a payment option
- Enter the amount you want to deposit
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password to confirm the process
- The site will verify the process is complete your account will be updated with the deposit
- Check email for further confirmation from the sports betting site
Withdrawal funds are secure as long as you are wagering with a site that is licensed by the state’s Division of Gaming Enforcement. Some sportsbooks may require verification (such as a driver’s license) before processing withdrawal requests.
Similar to depositing funds, withdrawing is relatively easy:
- Find the withdrawal option on the sportsbook app or site
- Choose a method of withdrawal
- Enter the amount you want to take out
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation
There is a wide range of options to choose from when it comes to depositing and withdrawing your funds. In the case of withdrawals, depending on the method you choose, the time of receiving your funds varies.
Not every sportsbook share the same options to deposit funds, but there are many ways to deposit:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
Compared to deposits, there are fewer options to withdraw funds, but there are still enough options out there:
- Cash At Casino Cage
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
How to Download a PA Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
If an app isn’t available on the Play Store or App Store, you may be able to download the app from the official sportsbook website.
What Sports Can I Bet on in Pennsylvania?
Some people prefer to bet on specific teams or games. Many bettors may not even be huge fans of a specific sport but like to bet on their old college team or their local sports team just to make things more interesting. Regardless of your motivation, if you want to bet on sports in Pennsylvania, here are some of your options:
- Football (NFL, NCAAF)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAAB)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
As previously mentioned, there are also a few overseas sporting events to wager on. Everything from cricket to rugby to soccer is available in this state. Also, do not forget about contact sports such as UFC, boxing, and other MMA and wrestling contests.
Each sportsbook has its own rules and regulations, so not every sportsbook follows the same guidelines. There are, however, certain restrictions that all sports bettors must follow in the state of PA. Below are the following restrictions:
- Bettors can not wager on high school athletics
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the state of Pennsylvania:
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- Philadelphia Eagles
- Philadelphia Phillies
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- Philadelphia 76ers
- Philadelphia Flyers
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Philadelphia Union
- Penn State Nittany Lions (NCAA)
- Pittsburgh Panthers (NCAA)
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: The moneyline is the most basic form of sports betting. It’s simply the bettor picking which team will win, balanced by the sportsbook’s odds that it will happen. The favorite will have a negative moneyline (greater stake than payout) while the underdog will have a positive moneyline (greater payout than stake).
- Point Spread: The margin of victory involved in betting Against The Spread (ATS). The bettor is wagering on the point margin between two teams. If you bet on the favorite, you need that team to win by more than the assigned margin, but if you take the underdog, your team can either win outright or lose by less than the point spread.
- Totals: Also known as an Over/Under, it involves betting on a game or prop total for more (Over) or fewer (Under) than a sportsbook-designated total.
- Props: Bet on an item not directly involved with the score/result of a game. A prop could be a player’s total points scored, home runs hit, touchdowns scored; and it can be team totals like passing yards, three-pointers made, etc.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows a sports bettor to place wagers on games as they happen. The sportsbook will change the odds as the game progresses depending on what’s happening in the game.
- Futures: Betting on an event, statistic, or anything similar to occur after the end of a full event or season. An example of this would be betting on next year’s Super Bowl winner in the preseason.
- Parlays: A single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. If any of the bets in the parlay lose, the entire parlay loses. Parlays offer higher payouts than straight bets.
Pennsylvania Sportsbook List
The following are the land-based sportsbooks you can enjoy when betting in Pennsylvania. Not all of these retail sportsbooks have online options as some are just available for players at the physical establishment:
- Barstool Sportsbook PA at Hollywood Casino Morgantown
- BetRivers Sportsbook PA at Rivers Casino Pittsburgh
- BetRivers Sportsbook PA at Rivers Casino Philadelphia
- Betfred Sportsbook PA at Wind Creek Casino
- TwinSpires PA at Presque Isle Downs
- Caesars Sportsbook PA at Harrah’s Philadelphia
- DraftKings Sportsbook PA at The Meadows
- FanDuel Sportsbook PA at Live! Casino Pittsburgh
- FanDuel Sportsbook PA at Live! Casino Philadelphia
- FanDuel Sportsbook PA at Valley Forge Casino Resort
- FOX Bet Sportsbook PA at Mount Airy Casino
- Parx Sportsbook PA at Parx Casino
- Unibet Sportsbook PA at Mohegan Sun Pocono
Can I Play at Online Casinos in Pennsylvania?
Yes, absolutely. Pennsylvania is one of the states that has legalized the ‘trifecta’ of online gambling: sports betting, casinos, and poker. Players have their choice of several online casinos featuring slots, table games, jackpots and Megaways, live casinos, virtual games, and so much more.
When Did PA Sports Betting Become Legal?
Sports betting became legal in Pennsylvania in 2017, but was put on hold due to PASPA. Once PASPA was deemed unconstitutional by the Supreme Court and with the law’s activation clause, sports betting officially became legal on November 17, 2018. In April 2019, Pennsylvania legalized online and mobile sports betting.
Pennsylvania Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018 - After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- November 17, 2018 - Pennsylvania officially legalized sports betting. The state originally legalized it in late 2017, but due to PASPA, the law was put on hold. With an activation clause in place, once PASPA was deemed unlawful, the state legalized sports betting.
- May 28, 2019 - PlaySugarHouse became the first online betting app to launch in the state.
- September 18, 2020 - Barstool Sportsbook launched for the first time ever in Pennsylvania.
- February 8, 2022 - PointsBet Sportsbook arrives in Pennsylvania, becoming the 14th app available in the state.