Single-game wagers were legalized in August 2021. Prior to this development, Ontario residents could only bet parlays through the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLGC) in a platform known as ProLine. These were in assigned locations, mostly in convenience and grocery stores.
As the most populous province in the country with over 14 million residents, Ontario is the priority for sports betting in Canada.
The city of Toronto, Ontario is the largest market in the country and fourth-largest in North America, behind New York City, Los Angeles, and Chicago. The province is also home to five of the 10 largest casino operators in the country, which can act as potential locations for physical sportsbooks in the near future.
Bettors in Ontario had been able to access online betting, albeit in a limited capacity, through ProLine+, which is a betting site run by the OLGC. This all changed as of April 4th, 2022, as the province finally opened its doors to several prominent operators.
Can I Bet on Sports in Ontario?
You are currently able to bet on sports in Ontario. This had previously been done by visiting one of the assigned locations for ProLine to fill out our bets in-person, or by accessing ProLine+, which is a website that is run by the OLGC.
As of April 4th, you have plenty of online betting sites at your disposal.
Do I Have to be a Resident of Ontario to Bet Online?
You don’t have to be a resident of Ontario to bet online, you just need to be within the province at the time of your wager. Sportsbooks utilize geofencing technologies to ensure that bettors are within province boundaries in compliance with federal and provincial law.
What Is The Legal Betting Age in Ontario?
When registering a new account, your age and identity will need to be verified. The legal betting age in Ontario is 19 years of age, so if you are not at least 19, you will not be able to open a new sports betting account.
Ontario Sports Betting Sites
Here are a few of the major players that have entered the fray in Ontario as of April 4:
Caesars Sportsbook Ontario
- Tech Partner: William Hill
- Established in: April 2022
- Website: Go to Caesars Ontario
Caesars Sportsbook has become a juggernaut in the iGaming industry, especially following the purchase of reputable betting site William Hill in 2021.
The site features some of the most lucrative and engaging promotions in the industry, as well as a robust VIP rewards program where users can redeem points for prizes like hotel accommodations and fine dining.
Caesars has a casino in Windsor, ON, which could act as a venue for a brick-and-mortar sportsbook in the near future.
FanDuel Sportsbook Ontario
- Tech Partner: FanDuel
- Launch Date: April 2022
- Website: Go to FanDuel Ontario
FanDuel Online Sportsbook began as a daily fantasy sports site (DFS) in 2009, quickly becoming one of the leaders in the industry. They have since evolved into a sportsbook as well, currently ranked among the most popular betting sites in the United States.
The sportsbook offers a sleek interface with a user-friendly experience and vast selection of betting markets, including an unmatched player props market. The site was the first to offer Same Game Parlays, which have spread like wildfire throughout the industry.
Former executive of Canadian media giant Rogers Communications Dale Hooper was hired as the general manager of FanDuel’s operations in Canada.
BetMGM Sportsbook Ontario
- Tech Partner: BetMGM
- Launch Date: April 2022
- Website: Go to BetMGM Ontario
BetMGM Sportsbook was created in 2018 after MGM Resorts formed a partnership with Entain Holdings. It’s now the headlining sportsbook for multiple casinos across the United States. Their mobile app is currently available in several states and we can project them to cross the border to Ontario in the near future.
The site offers a user-friendly interface with an expansive selection of betting markets and bet types as well as a detailed live-betting platform. Users can also live-stream selected events, allowing them to track their wagers in real time.
BetMGM has partnered with Canadian hockey legend Wayne Gretzky, who has become the site’s brand ambassador.
BetRivers Sportsbook Ontario
- Tech Partner: Kambi
- Launch Date: April 2022
- Website: Go to BetRivers Ontario
BetRivers Sportsbook was created by Rush Street Interactive in 2018 before adding an online app in 2019. It has spread across the United States, establishing itself as one of the more reputable brands in the sports betting industry.
Bettors can feel secure depositing funds into their BetRivers account. They have the option to live-stream selected events, which goes nicely with the live-betting platform. BetRivers offers useful promotions like profit boosts along with an app that makes sports betting easy and efficient.
The sportsbook created a free-play sportsbook and online casino in Ontario as a trial run to spark interest in the platform when they establish operations within the province.
PointsBet Sportsbook Ontario
- Tech Partner: PointsBet
- Launch Date: April 2022
- Website: Go to PointsBet Ontario
PointsBet Sportsbook was founded in Australia, but it has spread across the United States and we can expect to see continued growth across the country. The sportsbook has formed partnerships with professional sports teams like the Chicago Bears, media giants like NBC, and sports leagues like the PGA Tour.
The site offers a user-friendly experience with an innovative platform, known as “Points Betting.” This gives bettors an opportunity for more risk but more reward on their bets. When their team wins by more, they win more money and vice versa for when they lose. This is an interesting bet type that makes PointsBet one of the more intriguing sportsbooks in the industry.
PointsBet was recently named as the official betting partner of Curling Canada.
bet365 Sportsbook Ontario
- Tech Partner: bet365
- Launch Date: April 2022
- Website: Go to bet365 Ontario
bet365 Sportsbook is one of the most recognizable brands in the sports betting industry. They have some of the largest selections of betting markets as well as a detailed live-betting platform.
Their selection of in-game wagers is virtually unmatched, as bettors can even take player props as a live bet. This is not commonly offered among other sportsbooks, so it’s a great perk. You’ll also find live-streaming on selected events at bet365.
Ontario bettors will be familiar with the site because they were able to place wagers there prior to April 4, albeit in an offshore capacity. Now, bet365 is officially within the province.
Unibet Sportsbook Ontario
- Tech Partner: Kambi
- Launch Date: April 2022
- Website: Go to Unibet Ontario
Unibet Sportsbook is popular among European sports bettors, but it made its way to the United States in 2019. The site was already available for Ontario bettors, so there is some familiarity here.
It’s great for soccer betting because there are several odds boost across different competitions within the sport. You’ll also find an assortment of player props and other bet types that you can combine to create Same Game Parlays.
Unibet is an easy-to-use sportsbook that makes betting accessible for both beginners and veteran players. Ontario bettors were already able to bet with Unibet, but they are now transitioning to an Ontario license.
Why Should I Join an Ontario Betting Site?
You should definitely join an Ontario betting site because it’s the best way to engage in sports betting. Below you’ll find an in-depth overview of why you should bet online.
- Fair Odds: Online sportsbooks offer users with fair odds that align with the betting market. You won’t need to worry about paying an extra 10 or 20 cents on the moneyline, a practice often used by offshore sites. You won’t ever feel like you’re getting ripped off by an online site.
- Promotions: There are several promotions offered to users. Promotions can be deposit matches (site matches your deposit up to a certain amount), no-deposit bonuses (users are given free bets), and risk-free bets (first bets are reimbursed up to a maximum if they lose). Promotions are offered on a weekly basis. They can either be used on any betting market or focused on a specific sport. An example of this is an odds boost, where selected events are given odds that provide more value to the bettor.
- Safe and Secure: Betting sites are safe and secure because they are regulated in accordance with federal and provincial laws. They feature multiple deposit and withdrawal options with quick processing times, allowing you to feel comfortable with your money.
- Customer Service: Customer service is timely and efficient, offered on several platforms such as email, social media, and live chats. The live chat feature is especially useful because many sportsbooks have agents available 24/7 to resolve any potential issues. This is another reason to feel a sense of security when betting online. You’ll always have a helping hand.
- Multiple Betting Sites: Since online sportsbooks are safe and secure, you should absolutely register for an account by clicking our links and inputting your personal information and multiple online sportsbooks. This allows you to take advantage of their welcome bonuses and useful promotions, as well as compare betting lines with other sites to get the best bang for your buck.
Why to Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Lack of Security: Offshore sites are usually based out of the Caribbean. They aren’t regulated to the same standards as legal sportsbooks. Users don’t need to verify their personal identity. This means that it’s hard to feel comfortable with your money on these sites.
- Limited Payment Options: There are limited payment options for deposits and withdrawals, which makes it an inconvenient process for sports bettors. Payment processing times can be slower. They’ll also show up under different names than the sportsbook as a way of hiding their identity. This is because the act of paying out bets is illegal for offshore sites. It’s hard to trust a website that engages in practices like this.
- Inconsistent Betting Lines: These sportsbooks often have odds that aren’t aligned with the rest of the market. For example, you might pay -135 on the moneyline instead of the standard -110 price for point spread bets. In this sense, offshore sites are ripping off their consumers.
- Inadequate Customer Support: There are fewer platforms for customer support on offshore sportsbooks. This makes it more difficult to resolve any potential issues, specifically with payment. If you are having a tough time making withdrawals, it’s often hard to resolve the issue, since customer service isn’t as accessible.
- Limited Promotions: Offshore sportsbooks don’t offer nearly as many promotions as legal ones. Their rewards don’t even come close to the bonuses offered by other sites in the industry. You won’t find such perks as welcome bonuses, risk-free bets, and odds boosts at offshore sites.
How Do I Join Ontario Sports Betting Sites?
Joining a betting site in Ontario is a quick and easy process. Let’s dive in to provide a rundown of the steps involved in getting you started.
- Click one of the links above to be magically whisked away to your new favorite online sportsbook
- Input your personal information, such as name, address, and email
- Upload a photo ID to complete the verification process
- If you accessed the site without our links, input one of our promo codes to ensure that you receive the bonus
- Wait for your confirmation email
- Select ‘Deposit’ and choose your preferred payment method
- Deposit funds into your account. If the sportsbook provides a deposit match bonus, your funds along with the bonus bet credits will be reflected in your account balance
- Now you can choose your favorite betting market and place your wager
How to Fund My Ontario Sportsbook Account
Funding your betting account is an easy process, whether you want to deposit or withdraw. You’ll find the process outlined below.
It doesn’t matter if you’re a beginner or an experienced bettor, depositing involves only a few simple steps.
- Select “Deposit” or “Add Funds”
- Pick your preferred payment method
- Input your desired deposit amount
- If using an eWallet like PayPal, enter your user information
- You will receive a confirmation email to verify that the process has been completed
- Deposits will be instantly reflected in your account balance
The withdrawal process is quick and straightforward. Here are the steps:
- Click “Withdraw Funds”
- Select your withdrawal method
- Type in your preferred amount to withdraw
- Put in your user information if using an eWallet like PayPal
- Your account balance will be updated to show the withdrawal immediately
- Check for confirmation email
- You’ll usually receive the withdrawal within a couple of business days
Ontario Sports Betting Payment Options
Online betting sites offer users a plethora of payment options. Whether you are looking to deposit or withdraw, you can rest assured that there will be a convenient method for you.
Here are some of the many deposit methods available for you:
- Credit/Debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover)
- Prepaid cards
- Play+ Cards
Withdrawal options aren’t as robust as deposits, but there are still plenty to choose from to help make it an easy process. You’ll find them below:
- Play+ Prepaid cards
- Check By Mail
- CashAt Casino Cage
How to Download a Betting App
Mobile apps make the betting process more convenient and accessible. Here are the steps to downloading an app on iPhone or Android devices:
- Go to the Apple Store
- Type in your preferred betting app
- If the app is unavailable at the store, download it on the sportsbook’s website
- Click “Download”
- Log in with your account information and place your bets
- Go to Google Play
- Search for your desired betting app
- If unavailable, download it at the sportsbook’s website
- Select “Download”
- Input your login information and begin betting
What Sports Can I Bet on in Ontario?
Ontario bettors will have access to several sports, such as:
- Horse Racing
- Auto Racing
- Aussie Rules Football
- Motor Sports
- Table Tennis
Ontario Betting Restrictions
Ontario bettors previously were only permitted to place parlay bets through ProLine, but now that single-game wagers have been legalized, there aren’t any restrictions on sports betting law within the province.
Local Sports Teams to Bet On
There are multiple Ontario sports teams to bet on, including professional and minor league levels. The Canadian Football League (CFL), as well as junior hockey, are popular in the province, so these are two other betting markets that will be available to Ontario bettors.
Here is the list of teams:
- Toronto Blue Jays (MLB)
- Toronto Raptors (NBA)
- Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL)
- Toronto FC (MLS)
- Ottawa Senators (NHL)
- Toronto Argonauts (CFL)
- Hamilton Tiger Cats (CFL)
- Ottawa Redblacks (CFL)
- London Knights (OHL)
- Ottawa 67’s (OHL)
- Mississauga Steelheads (OHL)
- Barrie Colts (OHL)
- Kingston Frontenacs (OHL)
- Niagara IceDogs (OHL)
- Windsor Spitfires (OHL)
- Peterborough Petes (OHL)
- Sudbury Wolves (OHL)
- Guelph Storm (OHL)
- Oshawa Generals (OHL)
- Kitchener Rangers (OHL)
- Owen Sound Attack (OHL)
- North Bay Battalion (OHL)
- Sarnia Sting (OHL)
- Hamilton Bulldogs (OHL)
- Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds (OHL)
Bet Types Available
When you’re ready to place a bet in Ontario, it’s important to understand key bet types. You’ll find a description below:
- Moneyline: Choose the winner of the game. You don’t need your team to win by a certain number of points. Favorites (minus odds) bets risk more than the payout, while underdogs (plus odds) offer higher payouts than stakes.
- Point Spread: Point spreads are assigned winning margins. Select the favorite (minus point spread) or underdog (plus point spread). If you choose the favorite, they must win by the point spread (Ex: Toronto Raptors -7.5 means they must win by eight or more points). Underdog bettors just require their team to win outright or lose by less than the point spread (Ex: Toronto Raptors +3 means if they lose by two or less, you win).
- Totals: Each game has an assigned total of projected combined points. Bettors need to choose Over or Under that total. For example, if the total for the Toronto Blue Jays vs New York Yankees is 8.5 runs, Over bettors need nine or more runs, while Under bettors require eight or fewer runs.
- Props: These are game or player outcomes. Bettors select the Over or Under on their chosen prop. An example of a game prop is Toronto Raptors Over 10.5 Three-Pointers Made, while a player prop can be Fred VanVleet Over 20.5 Points.
- Live Betting: Live Betting are any wagers placed during the game. Bet types vary such as moneylines, point spreads, totals, and props. Odds are updated in real-time and bets must be placed during stoppages in play.
- Futures: Futures bets are settled at the end of the season. They include championship winners, division winners, win totals, player stats, and much more. An example of this can be Auston Matthews Over 40.5 Goals.
- Parlays: Parlays are combinations of two or more bets. They can include a variety of bet types from the same or different games. Bettors must win each of their selections in order to win their parlay. Parlays offer higher payouts compared to straight bets. The more selections in your parlay, the greater the payout.
Ontario Sportsbook List
Ontario features several casinos, which we can project to act as the base for some physical sportsbooks. You’ll find the list below:
- Casino Niagara (Niagara Falls, ON)
- Fallsview Casino (Niagara Falls, ON)
- Caesars Windsor (Windsor, ON)
- Casino Rama (Orillia, ON)
- Gateway Casinos Sault Ste. Marie (Sault Ste. Marie, ON)
Can I Play at Online Casinos in Ontario?
You can play at online casinos in Ontario at several websites, including one offered by OLG, which has been up and running since 2015. Bettors can choose from slots or table games like blackjack.
There is also several online casinos available as of April 4, such as FanDuel, Caesars, and BetMGM.
When Did Ontario Sports Betting Become Legal?
Ontario bettors were limited to parlay bets through the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLG) through a platform known as ProLine. This all changed in August 2021, when single-game wagers were finally legalized within the province, which opened up the door for several sportsbooks to set up shop.
Now, several private operators have established a foothold in the province.
Below you’ll find a timeline outlining key events within the legalization process.
Ontario Sports Betting Timeline
April 4, 2022: Launch
The floodgates opened April 4, 2022. Operators that went live include Caesars, BetMGM, FanDuel, and much more.
January 19, 2022: BetMGM
BetMGM states that they will open up an online sportsbook and online casino within the province.
January 10, 2022: PointsBet
PointsBet announces a deal with the NHL Alumni Association, making it an exclusive betting partner. The sportsbook will be one of the first available in the province.
December 20, 2021: theScore Bet
theScore Bet announces plans to be one of the first sportsbooks to launch in Ontario.
August 27, 2021: Single Game Wagers Legalized
Bettors can place single bets on OLGC’s ProLine+, which is an online app, or in-person at the designated OLG locations, such as grocery and convenience stores.
June 22, 2021: C-218 is Passed
Lawmakers within the province passed bill C-218, which removed prohibitions on single-game wagers. It gave provinces autonomy to regulate sports betting.
2020: Bill C-218
Bill C-218 is introduced. Commissioners from NBA, MLB, NHL, CFL, and MLS each signed a letter expressing their support for the legalization of single-game sports betting.
2016: Bill C-221
Bill C-221 is put forth as a second attempt to legalize single-game sports betting, but it does not go through.
2012: Bill C-290
Bill C-290 is introduced in an attempt to allow single-game sports betting, but it ultimately fails.
OLG launches ProLine as its betting platform.