Spencer Strider has jumped out in front of the pack as the favorite for the National League Rookie of the Year Award, but the 23-year-old right-hander still faces stiff competition for the rest of the summer.
Can anyone catch Strider during the second half? Or will he end up taking home the hardware?
Let’s explore some candidates to win the award in our 2022 NL Rookie of the Year predictions and best bets.
NL Rookie of the Year Odds 2022
NL Rookie of the Year MLB betting odds are current as of Aug. 4, 2022, from Caesars Sportsbook.
- Spencer Strider, SP, Atlanta Braves (-200)
- Michael Harris II, OF, Atlanta Braves (+350)
- Oneil Cruz, SS, Pittsburgh Pirates (+1000)
- Seiya Suzuki, OF, Chicago Cubs (+1000)
- Christopher Morel, OF, Chicago Cubs (+1800)
- Nolan Gorman, 3B, St. Louis Cardinals (+3000)
- Alek Thomas, OF, Arizona Diamondbacks (+5000)
- Brendan Donovan, OF, St. Louis Cardinals (+6000)
- Juan Yepez, 1B, St. Louis Cardinals (+6000)
- Jack Suwinski, OF, Pittsburgh Pirates (+8000)
- Luis Gonzalez, OF/RP, San Francisco Giants (+8000)
Sportsbook Play of the Day
Looking for a way to make NL Rookie of the Year 2022 bets? You’re in luck: You can claim Caesars Sportsbook’s welcome bonus that grants you a risk-free bet up to $1,500 when you register using the code .
Read Chris Wassel’s Caesars Sportsbook review for more insight and get your welcome bonus below, or continue reading our NL ROY picks.
NL Rookie of the Year Prediction 2022
Spencer Strider, SP, Atlanta Braves (-200)
Strider has been brilliant this season, sporting a 2.79 ERA, a 1.98 FIP, a 0.99 WHIP, and a monster 38.3% strikeout rate over 87 frames.
He’s shown no signs of slowing down as the season has progressed, either, giving up just two earned runs while posting a 19:2 K/BB ratio in his first two starts since the All-Star break.
Strider’s primary competition for the award will likely come from teammate Michael Harris and Pirates shortstop Oneil Cruz, but he’ll be tough to beat if he keeps dominating opposing lineups, making this our MLB bet of the day.
NL Rookie of the Year Contender 2022
Michael Harris II, OF, Atlanta Braves (+350)
Harris was promoted directly to the majors from Double-A this year, skipping Triple-A entirely. That hasn’t stopped the 21-year-old phenom from slashing .280/.320/.478 over 219 plate appearances with nine home runs and 11 stolen bases.
Like most rookies, Harris chases too many pitches out of the strike zone. His 45.1% O-Swing rate is well above the MLB average of 32.4%, which will likely lead to some regression in the second half if he doesn’t become more disciplined.
See the latest MLB futures odds and picks
- World Series Predictions & Odds
- AL Pennant & Division Predictions & Odds
- AL MVP Predictions & Odds
- AL Cy Young Predictions & Odds
- AL Rookie of the Year Predictions & Odds
- NL Pennant & Division Predictions & Odds
- NL MVP Predictions & Odds
- NL Cy Young Predictions & Odds
NL Rookie of the Year Sleeper 2022
Oneil Cruz, SS, Pittsburgh Pirates (+1000)
Pittsburgh’s exit velocity monster hasn’t played as well or as long as the previous two candidates. Still, given his natural ability, it’s too early to count him out of this race.
Cruz is slashing .218/.255/.451 with eight home runs and five stolen bases over 141 plate appearances while boasting a 97th-percentile exit velocity and a 99th-percentile sprint speed. The 23-year-old has all of the tools to put together a spectacular second half and surge to the top of award consideration.