New Jersey was among the first to launch legalized online casino gaming in the United States, offering services starting in November 2013. Since then, the Garden State has become a prime example of what states should do when setting up a successful online gaming market.
Get to know more about the industry in New Jersey below, including legal information, details on the launch date, a list of providers, and why players should consider signing up for a new member account. The Game Day provides all the information to make an informed decision.
Are Online Casinos Legal in New Jersey?
Yes! New Jersey approved online casino gaming in early 2013. Each online gaming site must be partnered with a land-based venue. Retail casinos are located in Atlantic City and open to patrons from across the United States and international visitors.
When Did Online Casinos Launch in New Jersey?
Online casinos were live in November 2013. Several sites started at that time or just a few months after the initial launch date.
NJ Online Casino List
The list of online casino sites in New Jersey is quite vast. The state is home to dozens of operators; each teamed up with a land-based venue in the state. Check out the many brands below to enjoy the best in Garden State iGaming.
The 888 brand launched services in New Jersey in 2015 and continues to offer a premium product today. The online casino offers various gaming options by software providers such as Evolution, NetEnt, IGT, and more. The site is home to secure services with slots, table games, and video poker options.
Bally’s is considered a latecomer in the Garden State as the brand did not go live until January 2022. The launch took place after the brand delivered its sports betting product. Bally’s offers app gaming and desktop options, with slots, live dealer, table games, jackpots, and bingo options.
Launching alongside its sports betting product in 2019, bet365 Casino offers players a streamlined interface with a black and green theme. Games include slots, arcade, instant win games, and table gaming options.
BetMGM launched in 2017 as PlayMGM and was rebranded to the new moniker in 2019. BetMGM has taken the online gambling industry by storm, offering the best casino gaming options in the Garden State and across the US. Players have access to a quality platform complete with promotions, reward programs, and hundreds of games.
Players welcomed the BetRivers Casino brand in 2016 and continue to frequent the site today. The platform offers a simple approach to gaming with an easy-to-navigate interface and a strong collection of games. The welcome deal and promotions are solid, which keeps players returning for casino gaming.
Launching in August 2021, Betway Casino is home to a simple platform with slots and table games. The casino operates on the same platform as the sportsbook, making it easy for members to move between the two. Betway is known for its quality content and adds new games consistently, so players always have something new to explore.
The Borgata was one of the first to launch an online casino in New Jersey. The brand has its own land-based casino, making it easy to get started. The site launched in 2013 and has continued to be a top-performing provider of iGaming content in the state. The online gaming site offers various games, including exclusive titles, slots, live dealer, table games, and virtual sports.
Another new provider in New Jersey, Caesars Casino, also started in 2013. The brand offers a full product with sports betting and casino games included. Caesars provides every member with access to its rewards program and continual promotions.
The DraftKings brand was live in New Jersey in 2018, offering an extensive collection of gaming options. The brand is known for its large slot portfolio, with hundreds of titles and new games added frequently. Players can seamlessly move from the casino to the sportsbook, which makes the provide appealing to many bettors.
Rival to DraftKings, FanDuel also started online gaming services in 2018. The brand is a top choice for sports bettors and casino fans. Members of FanDuel can access casino games via app or desktop with options like slots, table games, video poker, and much more. The platform is streamlined, offering simple navigation and controls.
Golden Nugget Casino
One of the first sites to launch in New Jersey, Golden Nugget remains a player’s top choice. The brand has seen many first in the Garden State, including launching the first live dealer titles. The brand has been a driving force behind the growth of live dealer and continues to offer popular options today. Golden Nugget also provides quality slots and table games.
Hard Rock Casino
Hard Rock got started online in June 2018 and quickly grew to offer some of the state’s best online casino gaming options. Hard Rock utilizes its rock’n’roll brand within its promotions and offerings, with plenty of fun and exciting games to pick from. Easily find slots to explore, blackjack, roulette, and more here.
Harrah’s was among the first to launch online casino gaming in the state but is one of the lesser visited brands. Harrah’s slots, blackjack, and roulette, but it has a far smaller portfolio than other NJ brands. On the plus side, the brand is connected to the Caesars Rewards program.
Mohegan Sun Casino
Operated by the Mohegan Tribe of Connecticut, this online casino launched in 2015 in partnership with Resorts Casino. It marked the first time an outside brand offered services in the state. The online casino offers a nice collection of slots, jackpot games, Slingo, and table games.
Launching at the same time as Hard Rock in 2018, Ocean Casino has risen to the top of the ranks regarding iGaming. The site offers a unique layout, bold coloring, and plenty of games to pick from. Among the available categories are slots, table games, live dealer, and jackpot games.
Pala Interactive launched the Pala Casino in 2014, offering players an easy-to-use site with secure gaming, boasting quick payouts. The site does have a small collection of games, offering only slots and table games.
The partycasino brand has longevity in gaming, having started as an international brand. In New Jersey, party launched in 2018 and is a top choice for igamers. The platform offers a simple design, perfect for newbies. Find slots, table games, live dealer, party pots, virtual sports, and more here.
Launching in September 2022, Playstar is one of the newer online casinos for New Jersey. The site offers a luxury-style theme with slots, table games, live dealer, and Slingo. New members can participate in regular promotions, including a daily wheel spin for incentives.
The PointsBet brand began offering online casino gaming in 2021 for NJ players, providing access to slots, table games, live casino, and video poker. The site does have a simple look and design, but it is less appealing than other providers in the Garden State.
Launching in 2015, Resorts Casino offers online casino gaming in New Jersey, though the site needs to be updated compared to other providers. Resorts offers its members slots, table games, live dealer, Slingo, and jackpot options. Promotions are also ongoing and offered to existing members.
This brand went live in New Jersey in July 2017 and offers a large collection of slots, video poker, and table games. It does not have a streamlined look like BetMGM and Golden Nugget, so that it might be less appealing to most players.
The Stardust casino is a reincarnation of the Betfair brand. Betfair launched in New Jersey in 2013 and was revamped to Stardust in 2021. The casino includes an easy-to-use platform with table games, slots, live casino, and more. It is one of the lesser visited online gaming sites in the state.
Offering sports betting as well, Tipico provides an online casino for players in New Jersey. The platform offers one wallet to make it easy for players to enjoy either betting option. Find slots and table games with options to play via an app on Android and iOS devices.
Starting in mid-2019, Unibet Casino is home to a nice collection of slots, table games, and live dealer options. The platform is simple in its design, making it easy for beginners to get started. The sportsbook is also connected for quick all-around betting options.
Virgin has been in NJ for quite some time, starting in 2014. The brand includes titles by IGT and other top-rated software companies. It is a sister site to Bally’s, so it has a similar look and feel. The platform’s seamless design offers quick access to slots, table games, and bingo.
The WynnBET brand may be synonymous with sports betting, but they also offer quality casino gaming options. The platform is home to top-rated slot games, blackjack, roulette, and more. Players will find quick-loading games and easy-to-navigate controls for an overall quality experience.
Upcoming New Jersey Online Casinos
Even though the online gaming market in New Jersey is quite large, there is still room for new sites. PlayOJO is an expected addition coming to the state sometime in the future. The online casino site will launch in partnership with Caesars Entertainment.
Best NJ Online Casinos
There are so many online casinos in New Jersey it can take a lot of work to know where to start. Below is a simple list of the best casinos that suit every player’s needs. Pick any one of them to begin enjoying top-quality online casino gaming in the Garden State.
- BetMGM: This online casino has a solid platform and includes the most exclusive games. The exclusivity includes slots, table games, and progressives. You can easily find something you have never played before here.
- Caesars Casino: This provider is a top pick due to its reward program and game collection. Easily play your favorite online casino games and earn points that can be used for benefits online and on-site at Caesars properties.
- Golden Nugget: Players here will find the brand offers the best in live dealer games. Golden Nugget started the trend and offers a solid collection of live titles, including blackjack, roulette, and baccarat.
How to Choose the Best NJ Online Casino
Selecting the best online casino in New Jersey is simple if you know what features and elements to look for. At The Game Day, we have experience figuring out what a casino site needs to succeed and appeal to players. Read through the list below to get an idea of what you should consider locating the best NJ site for your gaming needs.
The welcome offer is where you start if you are looking for incentives. Does the online casino offer a quality welcome deal? What type of promotion do they have? Is it a no-deposit deal or a first-deposit match? What type of wagering requirements are listed in the terms and conditions? We have found the best sites offer simple welcome offers with low wagering requirements, so you get the most out of your new account.
Existing Customer Promotions
Once you are a member of an NJ online casino, you want access to continual promotions. A good online casino needs to cater to its player base. Look under the promotions tab of a site in the state. What type of deals do they offer regular players? Free spins, bet & get deals, or leaderboard competitions are a great start.
Players must also consider the available game selection. Do you enjoy live dealer? If so, you will want to be sure an NJ casino has that option. Open a platform on your mobile smartphone or laptop to review the game selection. Some sites even offer demo mode so you can play games before spending real money. This is a great way to test a site before investing funds.
The best online casino sites also have a good usability factor. The platform will be seamless, offering simple controls and easy navigation. Top-rated casinos ensure that even a beginner player with zero experience can navigate the site in all aspects, including banking, customer support, and games.
Banking is essential to real money play, and you need access to options that work for you. Review the cashier of a site to see what deposit and withdrawal banking methods are available. The best sites will include credit/debit cards, PayPal, Play+, online banking, and other options.
Is mobile gaming important to you? Do you prefer an app or use a web browser? These factors are key to enjoying casino games on the go. Check an operator’s home page to see if they offer an application or if you must use a web browser to play. Most sites are compatible with mobile devices in some form or fashion, so you can play on the go.
Consider reading real customer reviews of an online casino site. What complaints or praise do players provide? Use this as a starting point to find top-rated online casino sites in NJ.
Customer support is also important. You want to be able to contact support whenever you need to. Check the homepage of a provider to see your options. The best sites include live chat so players can instantly contact support.
Who Is Eligible for New Jersey Online Casino Account?
To be eligible for iGaming, players need to be located in New Jersey. Casinos are open to players 21 and over. Players are not eligible for an account if they are on a self-exclusion list in New Jersey.
Do I Have to be a Resident of NJ to Play Online?
Players do not have to be a resident of New Jersey to play with an online casino. You only need to be physically present in the state. Once you are within New Jersey borders, log in to your account or create a new one to start playing slots and table games.
What Is the Legal Gambling Age in NJ?
Like most states, New Jersey requires players to be 21 to gamble. This applies to physical and online casino sites. Be prepared to show your ID when visiting a land-based casino and send in a copy of your driver’s license for iGaming.
Why Should I Join a New Jersey Casino Site?
Players considering joining a New Jersey casino site should do so due to the many benefits of gaming online. Let’s look at the top reasons you should sign up for a new online casino gaming account in the Garden State below.
Play Whenever You Like
One reason online casino gaming is so popular in New Jersey is convenience. You can enjoy casino games whenever you like. Games are compatible with mobile devices, laptops, and desktops. Play a quick slot game during your lunch break or while traveling. You can log in anytime, as long as you are within state borders.
Online casinos also offer quality promotions and varying options you won’t find within a land-based venue. Sites can offer you no-deposit deals, reload bonuses, free spins, leaderboard competitions, and much more. These promotions help you to add cash to your bankroll or just have fun competing against other players.
Players will find that most online casinos in New Jersey offer reward programs. Benefits are earned from iGaming, and rewards can be used online or within retail casinos. If you live in New Jersey or frequent the state often, you can take advantage of the reward program deals. Some providers even offer ways to earn points for hotel stays, dining discounts, and entertainment, plus free gaming.
Save on Travel Expenses
Traveling to a physical casino can be expensive. Depending on your location in New Jersey, you may have to drive to a local casino. This costs gas money, plus any dining expenses or overnight stays. With online gaming, you eliminate all the extra costs. Simply pay for your bets, and that’s it!
Why Avoid Offshore Casinos
Avoiding offshore casinos is key to enjoying the online gaming experience. Offshore sites are not licensed, so players are at risk immediately after signing up for a new account. A few key reasons to avoid an offshore site include:
- Risking Personal and Financial Information: If you play with an offshore site, you are putting your personal and financial information at risk. Shady offshore providers have no issue selling your information. Hacking can also occur, which puts your details at risk.
- Payment Issues: It is common for a shady offshore site to find an excuse to avoid paying winnings. Players have no recourse if a site pays up, as it is not regulated in the US. This is unfair and can result in a major loss.
- Unfair Games: Licensed sites in the US must test their software to ensure games are fair and use random number generators for the outcome. Offshore sites may not be held to this standard which can lead to unfair games that lean in favor of the house.
- No Regulations in Place: As mentioned, any offshore site is not licensed in the US, so there are no regulations in place. Regulations are what protect players and ensure that online casinos operate fairly.
How Do Welcome Offers Work?
A welcome offer is an incentive the online casinos in New Jersey provide new account holders. Most sites will offer you a welcome deal that consists of a deposit match deal. This gives you a percentage of bonus cash based on your deposit amount. An example of this offer is a 100% match worth up to $500. You deposit up to the $500 mark, and the casino gives you the same amount in bonus funds.
This deal will include terms and conditions, so be sure to read the fine print. You will need to play the bonus and/or deposit amount a certain number of times before you can withdraw winnings. Look for welcome deals with lower wagering requirements to ensure you can complete the bonus quickly.
Some sites also offer welcome deals with free spins or no-deposit deals. The options will vary, so be sure to check out multiple online casino sites to review their promotional deals.
How to Sign Up to an NJ Online Casino
- To get started, click on an offer provided by a casino via The Game Day. Deals are available with most providers.
- Once you click the link, look for the Sign-Up or Join Now option.
- Fill out the registration form with your personal information.
- Submit your details and wait for the approval.
- Some sites may require you to send in copies of your driver’s license and proof of address upon signup.
- Once your account is verified, you can sign in.
- The casino will configure your location at this time to ensure you are in New Jersey.
- Once logged in, deposit funds to begin playing online casino games.
How to Download a New Jersey Casino App
Many online casino sites in New Jersey offer app gaming. You will need to take a few minutes to download the available app to your device. Use the steps below based on your device type.
- Find an online casino with an application.
- Open the Apple App Store on your iPhone.
- Search for the app.
- Click GET once you locate the app.
- Open the app once it is installed.
- Log in to your existing account or create a new one.
- You are now ready to deposit and play!
- Use your smartphone or tablet and open the Google Play Store.
- Use the search box to locate an online casino app of your choice.
- Once the app pops up, click to download.
- Wait for the app to install.
- Once available, open the app and log in to your account.
How To Fund My Account
Playing online casino games for real money requires banking methods. Online casino sites in New Jersey offer several options, ensuring something for everyone. Review the common deposit and withdrawal methods in the Garden State below.
- Credit/Debit Cards: Most online casinos offer Visa and Mastercard. You may also have access to American Express and Discover.
- PayNearMe: This option works well for players who wish to deposit with cash. A trip to a secondary location is required, though.
- PayPal: Many players choose this e-wallet option to add funds.
- VIP Preferred: This method works well for players who want a secure way to use online banking for deposit needs.
- Bank Wire Transfer: With a bank wire, players have a secure way to deposit funds, though it may take longer to reach their account.
- Apple Pay: Some online casinos allow for Apple Pay via mobile iPhones and iPads.
- Online Banking: Players with an online bank account can also utilize payment services.
- Cashier Cage: Some online casino sites have a physical casino option for depositing funds.
- Online Banking: Use the same online bank account you deposited to remove funds.
- PayPal: The e-wallet can also be used to remove funds quickly and securely.
- VIP Preferred: If you have the VIP option, you can use it to withdraw your winnings.
- Cashier Cage: Use a physical casino connected to the online gaming site to remove funds.
Please note that each NJ online casino will offer varying methods. Check the FAQ section of a site or speak to support to see what options are available to you via a particular provider.
Casino Games Available
The list of casino games offered in New Jersey is quite a longe. Players will find there are plenty of options in the Garden State. Each casino offers hundreds of titles, but the platforms will vary. Some may offer more table games than others, while others might not include live dealers. We recommend you look at a platform collection before creating a new player account.
Below are examples of games you will find in New Jersey. Review this list to see what you can check for at top operating sites in the state.
- Slots: This category will be the largest at any casino site. You will find all types of games with three to six reels, ten paylines to, over 100,000 ways to win, plus features like free spins, wilds, and bonus options.
- Blackjack: The table game sections are usually filled with titles of all variants and skill levels.
- Roulette: Easily play American and European roulette. French and other variants may also be available.
- Baccarat: This card game is often found in a traditional format and Punto Banco.
- Video Poker: Play electronic-style video games such as Deuces Wild or Joker Poker.
- Jackpot Games: This category includes slot games with large jackpot prizes.
- Megaways: A slot with a megaways mechanic offers many ways to win, sometimes over the 100,000 mark.
- Card Games: Caribbean Stud Poker, Mississippi Stud, and Three-Card Poker are among the games in this category.
- Bingo: Play this classic game for real money at some online casino sites.
- Keno: The numbers game is popular among the lottery crowd.
- Live Dealer: With a separate category, many online casinos feature live dealer games with fun options like blackjack, roulette, and monopoly.
There are restrictions that players need to be aware of when accessing online casino games. New Jersey sites offer services to players that are physically located in the state. Each player must be 21 or older to participate.
Note that each game will have a minimum and maximum buy-in. The options will vary based on game type, such as a slot or blackjack game. Any player listed on a New Jersey self-exclusion list is also restricted from playing.
New Jersey Retail Casinos
- Bally’s Atlantic City: 1900 Pacific Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
- Borgata Casino: 1 Borgata Way Atlantic City, NJ 08401
- Caesars Atlantic City Hotel & Casino: 2100 Pacific Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
- Golden Nugget Atlantic City: 600 Huron Ave, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino Atlantic City: 1000 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
- Harrah’s Atlantic City: 777 Harrah’s Blvd, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
- Ocean Casino Resort: 500 Blvd, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
- Resorts Casino Hotel: 1133 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
- Tropicana Casino: 2831 Boardwalk, Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Can I Bet at Sportsbooks in NJ?
Of course. New Jersey sports betting is a fully legalized market. Players can access sportsbooks at land-based casinos and online options. Many online casino operators also provide sports betting services.
When Did NJ Online Casinos Become Legal?
The Garden State legalized online casinos in 2013.
NJ Online Casino Legal Timeline
- February 2013: New Jersey Governor Chris Christie signs bill A2578/S1565 to approve licensing for online gaming and partner casinos in Atlantic City.
- July 2013: All 12 Atlantic City casinos apply for licensing. Several operators begin making sites at this time.
- November 2013: Seven online casinos and six poker rooms launch services with limited access via the testing phase. After one week, the sites were live. Brands include 888, Betfair, Borgata, Caesars, Harrah’s, PartyPoker, and Tropicana.
- January 2014: Virgin Casino joins the industry.
- November 2014: Pala Casino launches. Betfair signs a deal with Golden Nugget for licensing after Trump Taj Mahal shuts down.
- February 2015: Resorts Casino launches services.
- July 2015: Mohegan Sun Casino begins operations under the Resorts license.
- August 2016: Golden Nugget launches the first live casino games in the state.
- September 2016: PlaySugarHouse Casino is live.
- August 2016: BetMGM Casino launches.
- June 2018: Ocean Casino Resort and Hard Rock Casino launch online casino gaming.
- February 2022: Bally’s Casino launches in New Jersey.