Table of contents
New Jersey was one of the first states in the US to take online gambling to its heart. Gamblers were able to place a bet on horse racing using online portals as early as 2000. However, it took another 18 years before sports betting was allowed for online players across all sports.
Signed off in 2018, the Supreme Court declared the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) of 1992 was unlawful. Just a month later, New Jersey became one of the first states to make sports betting legal.
Here’s what you need to know about online sports betting in New Jersey.
Can I Bet on Sports in New Jersey?
Yes, you can bet on sports in New Jersey. You can bet with an online sportsbook anywhere in the state or at local casinos and racetracks.
Do I Have To Be a Resident of New Jersey to Bet Online?
You don’t have to be a resident of New Jersey to bet on sports online. You just need to be within state lines in order to place your bet.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in NJ?
If you want to bet on sports in New Jersey, you have to be at least 21-years-old.
Why Should I Join a New Jersey Betting Site?
Betting in New Jersey is fun and easy. Here are some reasons why you should join a New Jersey betting site:
- It’s legal and regulated so you don’t have to worry about any risk that comes with offshore sites
- Many sites offer welcome bonuses and promotions for joining
- Legal sites offer a number of safe payment options
- The betting lines are fair and more consistent
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
Offshore sportsbooks are not regulated by any US governing body and therefore don’t come with the same regulations and safety nets as legal online sportsbooks in NJ. Here are a few reasons as to why you should avoid using offshore sportsbooks in New Jersey:
- Offshore sportsbooks are kind of illegal and definitely unregulated
- There are way fewer banking options
- You can’t trust that you’ll be paid
- There are fewer betting options available
- There are no online sports betting apps available so it’s more inconvenient
NJ Sports Betting Sites
As well as online casino apps, there are also some fantastic online sportsbook apps available. These apps can be downloaded on your phone, and you can bet on sports on the go.
Each one will offer different sports betting choices and options to players, so it’s important to look over what each one offers before making your final choice. Some of the top sportsbook apps that are available to New Jersey players are:
SugarHouse is solely a sportsbook betting choice for players. Powered by Kambi, it features a huge range of different betting options as more than five million choices are offered. Additionally, players have access to a range of markets when playing with the SugarHouse app.
The traditional moneyline and parlay markets are offered. There is also the ability to place spread bets and a selection of Asian lines. In-play betting is also offered, which allows players to choose the right time to bet in order to try to increase the betting value.
PointsBet betting site is currently only available in New Jersey, Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Colorado, and Michigan. The betting markets that are offered at PointsBet compete with every other sportsbook on the market. PointsBet actually offers more than other sites as it has its own special market, which is called PointsBetting.
The selection available at this sportsbook is one of the best around. Players can bet on in-play games, so if you want to take advantage of an underdog going behind early on, then it is possible here. PointsBet also has some of the very best betting promotions on the market and some interesting novelty bets, such as the Oscars.
Unibet is partnered with the Hard Rock Hotel and Casino. Unibet has a big name across the globe for offering sportsbook services. However, Unibet isn’t just a sportsbook, it also offers players the ability to enjoy online casino features. This includes almost 300 video slot titles, though there are no live dealer games offered.
Overall, the Unibet app offers an excellent sports betting experience. Players can enjoy a large selection of sports betting choices as well as a range of different markets. In addition, in-play betting is offered as well as a selection of bonuses and promotions. It’s not quite as flashy as some other sportsbooks, but the overall offering is solid.
BetMGM is partnered with Borgata. It’s one of the biggest names in the US when it comes to betting, so it’s no surprise that the site is superbly well-designed. It doesn’t just cover sports betting, as players are also able to enjoy casino titles. The casino offering is particularly impressive, with over 400 slot titles and live dealer games offered.
BetMGM also has a fantastic sport betting app with tons of markets and promotions available. In fact, they may have the most promotions out of all the NJ sportsbooks. They also have great features such as in-game betting.
bet365 is another sportsbook that is partnered with Hard Rock. bet365 is known across the world for its sports betting choices. It offers a fantastic selection of different sports for players to bet on and covers areas other than sports.
bet365 betting site is without a doubt the top online sportsbook when it comes to the markets offered. Depending on the sport you are betting on, there can be as many as 100 markets available for a game. This means that players can easily craft the bet that they want on almost any game. In addition, in-play betting is also available, which takes it up to another level of what’s on offer.
FOX Bet app is one of the newer players on the market. It’s partnered with Resorts Casino and provides players with quite an impressive range of sports betting options. While it caters to US players to a high level, with all traditional US sports covered, it takes the soccer betting choices to the next level. So if you’re a soccer fan, this is definitely the site for you, as it’s well-stocked.
The available markets are in the middle of what you would expect. While it’s not the worst selection out there, some other sportsbooks offer a better choice of markets. In addition, in-play betting is available, which is always a positive thing to see.
William Hill is partnered with a few different casinos, so a lot is expected from it, and it generally delivers what is expected. There’s a good choice of markets offered, and players can enjoy in-play betting. William Hill betting site is one of the most well-known operators in the world, so you can expect quality from this sportsbook.
DraftKings has been growing at an incredible rate over the last few years. After starting as a fantasy sports app, it has turned into one of the top gambling operators in the US. This sportsbook is partnered with Resorts, and it has quite a lot to offer.
It is similar to the SugarHouse platform due to the same proprietary software used to create the sportsbook. The overall betting options available are excellent, and it does manage to offer almost as much as bet365. In-play betting is available, but the commissions are quite high, which slightly impacts it.
FanDuel is one of the newer entrants to the online sportsbook portal. It started out as a fantasy sports site, much like DraftKings. It is slightly different from other sportsbooks in terms of the experience offered. Firstly, it has one of the nicest designs on the market. It’s definitely the easiest site to navigate due to the simple-to-use tabs.
The betting choices are excellent, with both sports and markets superbly represented, and it has enough variety to allow it to compete with any site on the market.
You can also find these online sportsbooks in NJ:
- 888 Sports
- Borgata Sports
- Caesars Casino
- Golden Nugget
- Hard Rock Casino
- Resorts Casino
- theScore Bet
- Twin Spires
How Do I Join NJ Sports Betting Sites?
It’s simple and easy to start betting in New Jersey. Below are some steps on how to start:
- Find a sportsbook you like, such as PointsBet, and click on our “Claim Now” or “Get Bonus” button to activate the welcome bonus.
- This will direct you to the site and click the sign-up, register, or join-up button.
- If there is a promo code available, you can enter it when prompted.
- Fill in all of the personal details that are required
- This might include your social security number or your driver’s license to verify your age.
- Create your account details – this will include your username and password.
- Read over the terms and conditions.
- Click ‘Accept’ and then your account will be created.
You’ll also be asked to verify your location. If you’re on desktop, New Jersey sportsbooks require you to download GeoComply, a location-tracking software. If you’re on your phone, all you need to do is allow the app to track your location.
How To Fund My Account
New Jersey online sportsbooks make the deposit and withdrawal process super easy. Not every sportsbook shares the same options, but it’s still relatively easy across the board.
Whether you’re doing it for the first time or you’re an existing customer, depositing is quite easy. The super quick and easy process should go like this:
- Click Deposit, Add Funds, or Cashier option
- Choose your payment method
- Enter the amount you want to deposit
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password to confirm the process
- The NJ betting site will verify the process is complete and it will be reflected in your deposit
- Check your email for further confirmation from the sportsbook
Withdrawal funds are secure as long as you are wagering with a site that is licensed by the state’s Division of Gaming Enforcement. Some sportsbooks may require verification (such as a driver’s license) before processing withdrawal requests.
Similar to depositing funds, withdrawing is relatively easy:
- Find the withdrawal option on the NJ sportsbook app or site
- Choose a method of withdrawal
- Enter the amount you want to take out
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation
There is a wide range of options to choose from when it comes to depositing and withdrawing your funds. In the case of withdrawals, depending on the method you choose, the time of receiving your funds varies.
Not every sportsbook share the same options to deposit funds, but there are many ways to deposit:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
Compared to deposits, there are fewer options to withdraw funds, but there are still enough options out there:
- Cash At Casino Cage
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
How to Download an NJ Betting App
Downloading New Jersey sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
If an app isn’t available on the Play Store or App Store, you may be able to download the app from the official sportsbook website.
What Sports Can I Bet on in New Jersey?
Players can place bets on the following sports while in NJ:
- Football (NFL)
- Basketball (NBA)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Horse Racing
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
The list goes on for other sports to bet on, such as college sports, rugby, and cricket. Esports is also becoming more popular in the gambling market. Not all sportsbooks offer the opportunity to bet on esports, though.
Each sportsbook has its own rules and regulations, so not every sportsbook follows the same guidelines. There are, however, certain rules that all sports bettors must follow in the state of NJ. Below are the following rules:
- No betting on college teams from New Jersey. Even if the game is being played out of the state, it still isn’t allowed.
- No betting on college events taking place in the state. Any neutral-site games that don’t involve any New Jersey college-based team, such as a tournament or game, are forbidden to be bet on.
- No betting on high school games.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the state of New Jersey, New York, and Pennsylvania:
- New York Jets
- New York Giants
- Philadelphia Eagles
- New York Yankees
- New York Mets
- Philadelphia Phillies
- New York Knicks
- Brooklyn Nets
- Philadelphia 76ers
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Philadelphia Flyers
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: The moneyline is the most basic form of sports betting. It’s simply the bettor picking which team will win, balanced by the sportsbook’s odds that it will happen. The favorite will have a negative moneyline while the underdog will have a positive moneyline.
- Point Spread: The margin of victory involved in betting Against The Spread (ATS). The bettor is wagering on the point margin between two teams.
- Totals: Also known as an Over/Under, is betting on a game or prop total for more (Over) or fewer (Under) than a sportsbook-designated total.
- Props: Bet on an item not directly involved with the score/result of a game. A prop could be a player’s total points scored, home runs hit, touchdowns scored; and it can be team totals like passing yards, three-pointers made, etc.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows a sports bettor to place wagers on games as they happen. The sportsbook will change the odds as the game progresses depending on what’s happening in the game.
- Futures: Betting on an event, statistic, or anything similar to occur after the end of a full event or season. An example of this would be betting on next year’s Super Bowl winner in the preseason.
- Parlays: A single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. If any of the bets in the parlay lose, the entire parlay loses.
- PointsBetting (exclusive to PointsBet): Your winnings or losses from a bet are not determined until the very end of a game. If your bet wins by one point (or unit), you would win 1x your bet amount (stake). If your bet wins by 2 units, you win 2x stake, and so on. Conversely, if you lose by 1 unit, you would lose 1x stake and so on.
New Jersey Sportsbook List
Here are the land-based sportsbooks you can enjoy when betting in New Jersey. Not all of these retail sportsbooks have online options – some are just available for players at the physical establishment:
- The Book at Harrah’s
- DraftKings Sportsbook at Resorts
- FanDuel Sportsbook at Meadowlands
- Hard Rock Sportsbook
- Moneyline Bar & Book at Borgata
- The Sportsbook at the Golden Nugget
- Wild Wild West Sportsbook at Bally’s
- William Hill at Monmouth Park
- William Hill at Ocean Resort
- William Hill at Tropicana
*While the William Hill sites are based out of three different casinos, it is actually just a single online sportsbook available to players.
Can I Play at Online Casinos in NJ?
Online casinos are also available to players within New Jersey as long as they’re offered by sites that hold a license from the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement (DGE). All games are regulated by the DGE.
When Did NJ Sports Betting Become Legal?
Sports betting became legal in May 2018 after a lengthy battle with the Supreme Court. Exactly one month later, Governor Phil Murphy made the first wager at Monmouth Park Racetrack. Murphy bet $20 on Germany to win the World Cup and $20 on the New Jersey Devils to win the Stanley Cup. The first online sportsbook went live in August 2018.
New Jersey Sports Betting Timeline
- November 21, 2013 – New Jersey launches legal online poker and casino.
- May 14, 2018 – After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed New Jersey to enact its sports betting laws and allowed other states to legalize sports betting.
- June 14, 2018 – New Jersey officially legalized sports betting. Governor Phil Murphy placed the first wager at Monmouth Park Racetrack. Murphy bet $20 on Germany to win the soccer World Cup and $20 for the New Jersey Devils to win the Stanley Cup.
- August 1, 2018 – DraftKings became the first online betting app to launch in the state.