The Boston Bruins and Pittsburgh Penguins will square off at iconic Fenway Park in the 14th annual Winter Classic on Jan. 2, 2023.
This will be the Bruins’ fifth outdoor game, fourth time playing in the Winter Classic and third time hosting the event. Boston is 3-1 in outdoor games, most recently defeating the Philadelphia Flyers 7-3 at the 2021 outdoor games at Tahoe, and 1-0 at Fenway Park, thanks to an overtime win against Philadelphia in the third Winter Classic on Jan. 1, 2010.
The Penguins participated in the inaugural Winter Classic and defeated the Sabres at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo on Jan. 1, 2008. This is their first appearance in the Classic since 2011, when they lost to the Washington Capitals at Heinz Field on New Year’s Day, but Pittsburgh has played in three Stadium Series games since — two against the Flyers and one against the Chicago Blackhawks.
The game should feature two of the best teams in the East with superstar players and an historic setting. It should be great.
But who will win? Let’s take a deeper look at the 2023 Winter Classic.
Winter Classic Odds 2023
NHL odds for the Winter Classic are current as of 6 p.m. ET on Jan. 1, 2023 and are courtesy of Caesars Sportsbook.
- Moneyline: Penguins (+140) vs Bruins (-165)
- Spread: Penguins +1.5 (-195), Bruins -1.5 (+140)
- Total: Over 6 goals (-115), Under 6 Goals (-105
Winter Classic Pick of the Day
Read more about our best Winter Classic bet below.
Winter Classic Prediction for Penguins vs Bruins
Bruins 5, Penguins 2
Boston has been the best team in hockey throughout the early portion of the season, especially at home where it won its first 14 games. The Bruins did not lose in regulation at home through their first 16 home games and have not lost in regulation at home through their first 21.
The Penguins enter the Classic in freefall mode, losing four straight and falling into a tie for the Eastern Conference’s final playoff spot. Pittsburgh has had an uneven season, dropping 10 of its first 16 then winning 12 of 14 before losing five of six.
The Bruins are not the opponent for a scuffling team to get right, especially in a game in Boston. Plus, you can bet the Bruins are in Pittsburgh’s head based on the teams’ first meeting, where they combined for teams 11 goals but Boston overcame a three-goal, second-period deficit to claim a 6-5 OT victory in Pittsburgh on Nov. 1.
Look for the Bruins to make it 19 wins in 22 games played in Boston and to do so in comfortable fashion.
Winter Classic Best Bets
Bruins -1.5 (+140) at Caesars Sportsbook
WAGER: 1 unit
A Bruins moneyline bet, at -165, is actually not bad odds. But the Bruins have been dominant in games played in Boston this season, led by goalie and Vezina Trophy favorite Linus Ullmark.
Ullmark won 18 of his first 20 starts, and he, center and perennial Selke Trophy candidate Patrice Bergeron and darkhorse Norris Trophy candidate Charlie McAvoy should be in line to slow Sidney Crosby and the high-octane Penguins offense.
But given the way Boston is playing — it is 7-0-3 in its past 10 and hasn’t lost in regulation since Dec. 9 — and the way it has respected its opposition, a comfortable Bruins win seems likely.
Be on the lookout for this NHL pick of the day when it’s made available at your favorite operator.
Over 6 Goals (-115) at Caesars Sportsbook
WAGER: 1 unit
These teams’ first meeting was a wild overtime affair where the Bruins turned a 5-2 deficit into a 6-5 win in Pittsburgh on Nov. 1.
I tend to favor the under in outdoor games due to the uncertain conditions. There’s been six goals or fewer in 11 of the first 13 Classics and 25 of the previous 35 outdoor games the NHL has put on over the past 20 years.
But with perfect weather conditions in the forecast, and the Bruins averaging almost four goals per game, take the over with the skill on the ice.
How to Bet The Winter Classic
Betting the Winter Classic should be as simple as betting on any NHL game. Here’s a look at the steps.
- Log into your preferred sportsbook app or website. If you don’t have a preferred sportsbook, visit our US sportsbook review page to determine your which one to use
- Sign up using any necessary promo code to unlock the best new-player bonus
- Click “NHL" or “Ice hockey" in the sportsbook’s sports section
- Find the Winter Classic on its schedule
- Find the market you wish to bet, add it to your bet slip
- Add the amount you wish to wager
- Press “Place Bet"
- Root for your bet to hit!
Winter Classic History
This year’s Winter Classic will be the 36th outdoor game in NHL history and the 14th Winter Classic. Here’s a look at the results of the previous 13.
- Jan. 2, 2023: Pittsburgh Penguins vs Boston Bruins at Fenway Park in Boston
- Jan. 1, 2022: St. Louis Blues 6, Minnesota Wild 4 at Target Field in St. Paul, Minnesota
- 2021 Winter Classic canceled due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Jan. 1, 2020: Dallas Stars 4, Nashville Predators 2 at Cotton Bowl in Dallas
- Jan. 1, 2019: Boston Bruins 4, Chicago Blackhawks 2 at Notre Dame Stadium in Notre Dame, Indiana
- Jan. 1, 2018: New York Rangers 3, Buffalo Sabres (OT) 2 at Citi Field in Flushing, New York
- Jan. 2, 2017: St. Louis Blues 4, Chicago Blackhawks 1 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis
- Jan. 1, 2016: Montreal Canadiens 5, Boston Bruins 1 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts
- Jan. 1, 2015: Washington Capitals 3, Chicago Blackhawks 2 at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C.
- Jan. 1, 2014: Toronto Maple Leafs 3, Detroit Red Wings 2 (SO) at Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor, Michigan
- 2013 Winter Classic canceled due to NHL lockout
- Jan. 2, 2012: New York Rangers 3, Philadelphia Flyers 2 at Citizens Bank Park in Philadelphia
- Jan. 1, 2011: Washington Capitals 3, Pittsburgh Penguins 1 at Heinz Field in Pittsburgh
- Jan. 1, 2010: Boston Bruins 2, Philadelphia Flyers 1 (OT) at Fenway Park in Boston
- Jan. 1, 2009: Detroit Red Wings 6, Chicago Blackhawks 4 at Wrigley Field in Chicago
- Jan. 1, 2008: Pittsburgh Penguins 2, Buffalo Sabres 1 (SO) at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo