Frank Ammirante stops by with 2021 AL Cy Young Bets: May MLB Odds, Predictions & Picks Updates.
We’re now one month into the 2021 MLB season, and we’ve seen some interesting pitching storylines so far. Gerrit Cole and Shane Bieber continue to mow down opposing hitters, but emergent aces like Tyler Glasnow challenge their claim to the 2021 AL Cy Young Award. This makes it a good time to check-in on Cy Young futures bets to see if we can find any value. Be sure to check out our 2021 MLB preseason American League Cy Young odds and predictions to see how the lines have moved.
2021 AL Cy Young Bets: May MLB Odds, Predictions & Picks Update
2021 American League Cy Young Odds
- Gerrit Cole, New York Yankees (+150)
- Shane Bieber, Cleveland Indians (+325)
- Tyler Glasnow, Tampa Bay Rays (+700)
- Carlos Rodon, Chicago White Sox (+950)
- Lance Lynn, Chicago White Sox (+1500)
- John Means, Baltimore Orioles (+1500)
- Lucas Giolito, Chicago White Sox (+1800)
- Jose Berrios, Minnesota Twins (+2000)
- Hyun-Jin Ryu, Toronto Blue Jays (+3000)
- Danny Duffy, Kansas City Royals (+3500)
- Shohei Ohtani, Los Angeles Angels (+4000)
- Kenta Maeda, Minnesota Twins (+5000)
- Eduardo Rodriguez, Boston Red Sox (+5000)
- Zack Greinke, Houston Astros (+5000)
- Dylan Cease, Chicago White Sox (+5000)
- Nathan Eovaldi, Boston Red Sox (+5000)
- Dylan Bundy, Los Angeles Angels (+5000)
- Casey Mize, Detroit Tigers (+5000)
- Cristian Javier, Houston Astros (+5000)
2021 AL Cy Young: May Sleeper Bet Picks
Tyler Glasnow (+700)
Tyler Glasnow has introduced a new slider this season (29.4% usage) and it’s paying major dividends. The knock on Glasnow was that he was a two-pitch pitcher, but he now has another weapon to go along with his 97 mph fastball and knockout curveball. He’s posted a 39.5% strikeout rate (3rd in MLB) and 35.4% called strike-whiff rate (CSW) (1st in MLB). Glasnow also ranks 5th in innings pitch, so the volume is there.
John Means (+1500)
John Means has emerged as an ace for the Orioles, posting a 1.21 ERA (2.78 xERA), 0.71 WHIP, and 22.8 K-BB%. Means has increased his swinging-strike rate (SwStr%) from 12.5% to 15.4% as well as his CSW from 27.2% to 31.3%. While it’ll be tough for him to win the award because he pitches on one of the worst teams in baseball, if he can lead the AL in ERA and WHIP then there’s certainly a chance.
Danny Duffy (+3500)
Danny Duffy has gotten off to a fantastic start this season and it’s primarily due to an increase in velocity on his fastball. Duffy’s average velocity has increased from 92.2 MPH in 2020 to 93.8 MPH this year. Hitters have put up a .255 wOBA against this pitch, a significant improvement from .328 wOBA last season. If Duffy can keep up these gains, you’re looking at an ace at premium value here.
2021 American League Cy Young May Odds: Best Bet Pick
Shane Bieber (+325)
Shane Bieber remains one of the heavy favorites along with Gerrit Cole, but we get the Indians’ ace at a better value. Bieber has put up a 29.1 K-BB% (6th) and 34.8% CSW (3rd) in 55 innings (1st). The volume is definitely there for Bieber to rack up wins and strikeouts with strong ratios. He’s the safest pick out of this group to win the 2021 AL Cy Young Award, as we’ve seen him sustain dominance for a longer stretch than the other three pitchers on this list.