Table of contents
After many years of lawmakers opposing gambling expansion, sports betting is now legal in Indiana. Since the fall of 2019, an increasing number of credible operators have gone live. Now, Indiana is one of the fastest-growing online sports betting states.
Hoosiers can now legally place bets from anywhere within the state lines using either their desktop, mobile phones, or brick-and-mortar establishments.
Here’s what you need to know about sports betting in Indiana.
Can I Bet on Sports in Indiana?
Yes, Indiana’s state-licensed sports betting was officially signed into law in May 2019. Gamblers began betting on almost all sports at land-based establishments in September 2019, with local sportsbooks going online in October 2019.
This means that you can place bets inside brick-and-mortar casinos, at racetracks or off-track betting facilities, as well as via the internet from your desktop or mobile phone.
Do I Have to Be a Resident of Indiana to Bet Online?
Although you don’t need to be a resident or citizen of Indiana to register with an operator, you do need to be physically located within the borders of the state to be able to place bets.
Geolocation technology combines IP and Wi-Fi data to ensure that you won’t be able to wager or deposit outside the Indiana state lines. When the system confirms that you are within the Hoosier state, you will be able to place wagers successfully.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in Indiana?
You must be at least 21-years-old in order to bet on sports in Indiana.
Why Should I Join an Indiana Betting Site?
Betting in Indiana is fun and easy to do. More importantly, it’s extremely safe and secure for bettors. Here are some reasons why you should bet in Indiana:
- All legal sportsbooks in the state are licensed and regulated by the Indiana Gaming Commission.
- The sportsbooks are audited to make sure your personal information and funds are safe and secure.
- It’s very convenient as you can bet at home or on the go.
- Betting lines are fair and consistent.
- Many sportsbooks offer welcome bonuses and promotions for joining.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Offshore sportsbooks are kind of illegal and definitely unregulated
- There are way fewer banking options
- You can’t trust that you’ll be paid
- There are fewer betting options available
- There are no online sports betting apps available so it’s more inconvenient
Indiana Sports Betting Sites
DraftKings and BetRivers were the first online sportsbooks to launch in October 2019, with FanDuel joining them just a couple of weeks after. Since then, more sportsbooks continue to launch. Below are the online sportsbooks currently live in Indiana:
As the very first online sportsbook to launch in Indiana, the DraftKings app has quickly taken its place as an industry leader. It offers an impressive range of American and international sports for wagering, along with unique bet types such as live in-game betting, sportsbook pools, and teasers. The sportsbook can be accessed via desktop or app, which allows users to customize their experience via the betting carousel feature.
Originally established in the UK as far back as 1934, William Hill sportsbook has been finding its way across the US since 2012 and brands itself as ‘America’s No. 1 Sportsbook’. It made its debut in Indiana in October 2020 when it formed a partnership with the Tropicana Casino in Evansville. Players in the Hoosier State can easily register and wager using their iOS or Android devices, which can be downloaded free from the sportsbook’s website.
BetRivers sportsbook first appeared in Pennsylvania and, after enjoying a successful launch there, expanded to Michigan, Virginia, Iowa, and finally to Indiana, just when sports betting became legalized in the state. BetRivers appeals to many for its loyalty program, which rewards bettors simply for the pleasure of playing. Points earned can be redeemed for some amazing perks. With its smooth navigation, the BetRivers app is available for users with Android or iOS devices. iPhone users, however, will need to verify their location via the browser version to set up.
WynnBET is a household name that has earned the respect of a large number of gamblers. With this sportsbook’s large pool of sports markets, varied betting options, and stellar promotional offers, you just know that your money will be well placed. The site also offers rewards for existing players, such as daily odds boosts and an ever-updating schedule of free bets. To get started with WynnBET, you just need to download the mobile app, which is compatible with both Android and iOS operating systems.
BetMGM is the online sportsbook arm of MGM Resorts International, one of the world’s largest casino companies. As you might expect from such a high-flying company, wagering is offered on a good selection of sports, including motorsport, MMA, hockey, darts, cycling and rugby league along with all the old favorites. Promotions are also plentiful, and with every wager, you will be making your way up the ladder to some impressive rewards through its award-winning loyalty program.
Unibet sportsbook may not yet be a familiar name to many American bettors, but this European sportsbook is making a deep footprint in the gambling market. Indiana may only be its third state of operation in the US, but it has over two decades of experience in the European market. Unibet began in 1991. Today, it is part of the Kindred Group, one of the largest online gambling companies, with over 25 million customers. Unibet is ‘mobile first,’ so to join this sportsbook’s growing band of users, download the app free from the Apple App Store (for iOS users) or from the Unibet website (Android users).
FanDuel made its move from daily fantasy sports into sports betting when it merged with bookmaker Paddy Power Betfair in 2018, becoming known as FanDuel Group. Since then, players have chosen FanDuel for its coveted mobile app that seamlessly mirrors the desktop site and gives access to all the sportsbook’s daily promotions. FanDuel has made it its mission to make sports more exciting, and with over 12 million users on its books, who can argue with that?
PointsBet sportsbook is an Australian betting company now operating in Indiana and five other US states. The sportsbook has made waves in the gambling arena with the introduction of its innovative PointsBetting system. PointsBetting takes wagering to a whole new level. Bettors are rewarded or penalized according to the distance of the result from their prediction. As the operator puts it: “The more you’re right, the more you win.” Bear in mind also that, “The more you’re wrong, the more you lose.”
You can also place bets at these IN online sportsbooks:
- theScore Bet
How Do I Join Indiana Sports Betting Sites?
Every sportsbook sets out to make the registration process as easy and efficient for players as it possibly can. As a general guide, you will usually need to complete the following steps:
- Go to the site and either register online or download the app
- Complete the registration process on the app if using it
- Provide the information requested, which will include basic personal details such as name and address, plus the last four digits of your social security number
- Enter your promo code if you have one
- Read and accept the terms and conditions
- Wait for verification that you have been accepted as a customer
- Deposit funds and start betting
Be aware that all licensed Indiana sportsbooks must verify your identity, age, and location. They need to know that you are who you say you are, that you are over 21, and that you are in the state of Indiana. Online sportsbooks use high-quality identification and geo-location technology, and verification is usually done within minutes, or even seconds. If it takes longer, it may mean that you have entered details incorrectly.
How To Fund My Account
Online Indiana sportsbooks make it quick and easy to deposit funds and withdraw winnings. Not every sportsbook has the same options, but all are user-friendly.
Depositing funds into your account is easy and the process should go like this:
- Click Deposit or Add Funds
- Choose a banking method
- Enter the amount you want to deposit
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password to confirm the process
- The Indiana sportsbook will verify the process is complete and it will be reflected in your deposit
- Check email for further confirmation from the sportsbook
Withdrawal funds are secure as long as you are wagering with a site that is licensed by the state’s Division of Gaming Enforcement. Some sportsbooks may require verification (such as a driver’s license) before processing withdrawal requests.
Similar to depositing funds, withdrawing is relatively easy:
- Find the withdrawal option on the sportsbook app or site
- Choose a method of withdrawal
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation
Once your account is set up, you will need to deposit some funds before you can start betting. Most Indiana sports betting sites and apps accept a wide range of deposit options. When it comes to withdrawing any winnings, you can request a withdrawal at any time, and your winnings are usually returned to the same account or online wallet you used to deposit.
Each operator will have different payment methods, so check that your preferred payment method is available before signing up. Most funding sources are instant, but some can take a few days to clear.
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
Compared to deposits, there are fewer options to withdraw funds, but there are still enough options out there:
- Cash At Casino Cage
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
How to Download an Indiana Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in Indiana?
You can wager on most of the major sports in Indiana, including football, soccer, basketball, hockey, horse racing and more. Some of the sports you can bet on are:
- Football (NFL, NCAAF)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAAB)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
- Horse Racing
The list goes on for other sports to bet on, such as bowling and darts, and even international sporting events such as rugby and cricket. Each sportsbook is slightly different, so check that the one you are signing up for offers all your favorite sports, events, and leagues.
Not every betting site follows the same guidelines, but there are certain rules that all sports bettors must follow in the state of IN. Below are the following rules:
- No betting on college player props.
- No online poker and casinos.
- Players are only allowed to live bet during “natural breaks,” such as commercials or the end of a quarter/inning.
- No betting on high school games.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the state of Indiana:
- Indianapolis Colts
- Indiana Pacers
- Indiana Fever
- Notre Dame Fighting Irish (NCAA)
- Indiana Hoosiers (NCAA)
- Purdue Boilermakers (NCAA)
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: The moneyline is the most basic form of sports betting. It’s simply the bettor picking which team will win, balanced by the sportsbook’s odds that it will happen. The favorite will have a negative moneyline while the underdog will have a positive moneyline.
- Point Spread: The margin of victory involved in betting Against The Spread (ATS). The bettor is wagering on the point margin between two teams.
- Totals: Also known as an Over/Under, is betting on a game or prop total for more (Over) or fewer (Under) than a sportsbook-designated total.
- Props: Bet on an item not directly involved with the score/result of a game. A prop could be a player’s total points scored, home runs hit, touchdowns scored; and it can be team totals like passing yards, three-pointers made, etc.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows a sports bettor to place wagers on games as they happen. The sportsbook will change the odds as the game progresses depending on what’s happening in the game.
- Futures: Betting on an event, statistic, or anything similar to occur after the end of a full event or season. An example of this would be betting on next year’s Super Bowl winner in the preseason.
- Parlays: A single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. If any of the bets in the parlay lose, the entire parlay loses.
- PointsBetting (exclusive to PointsBet): Your winnings or losses from a bet are not determined until the very end of a game. If your bet wins by one point (or unit), you would win 1x your bet amount (stake). If your bet wins by 2 units, you win 2x stake and so on. Conversely, if you lose by 1 unit, you would lose 1x stake and so on.
Indiana Sportsbook List
Here are the land-based sportsbooks you can enjoy when betting in Indiana. Not all of these retail sportsbooks have online options – some are just available for players at the physical establishment:
- DraftKings at Ameristar Casino Resort
- FanDuel at Belterra Casino Resort
- FanDuel at Blue Chip Casino
- Rush Street Interactive at French Lick Resort Casino
- Caesars Sports at Harrah’s Hoosier Park
- Kambi at Hollywood Casino Lawrenceburg
- Caesars Sports at Horseshoe Hammond Casino
- Caesars Sports at Horseshoe Southern Indiana Hotel & Casino
- Caesars Sports at Indiana Grand Racing & Casino
- USA Sports Gaming at Majestic Star Casino
- BetAmerica at Rising Star Casino Resort
- William Hill at Tropicana Evansville Casino
- Caesars Sports at Winner’s Circle Clarksville
- Caesars Sports at Winner’s Circle Indianapolis
- Caesars Sports at Winner’s Circle New Haven
Can I Play at Online Casinos in IN?
Despite the legalization of daily fantasy sports and online sports betting, Indiana does not yet permit online casino gambling. That, of course, could change at any time in the future.
When Did Indiana Sports Betting Become Legal?
Indiana sports betting became legal in May 2019 after the Indiana General Assembly passed House Bill 1015 to make sports gambling legal and regulated in the state. It was not until September 1, 2019, however, that Governor Eric Holcomb placed the first legal retail wager and patrons could begin betting at casinos, riverboats, and ‘racinos’ within Indiana. This saw many players traveling in from neighboring states where sports betting had not been legalized to wager in these brick-and-mortar establishments.
Finally, the Indiana Gaming Commission legalized online and mobile betting a month later, in October 2019, making it a fully certified gambling state. Operators went live with their online sportsbooks, providing wagering opportunities on a myriad of sporting events.
IN Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018: After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- May 8, 2019: Governor Eric Holcomb signs the bill into law legalizing sports betting in the state of Indiana.
- September 1, 2019: Retail sports betting was up and running in the state, allowing people to wager on sports in person.
- October 3, 2019: Online sports betting went live in the state, with DraftKings, FanDuel, and BetRivers being the first sportsbooks to launch.