The U.S. Open is one of the most prestigious events of the PGA season. It is the third of four majors on the golf calendar and this year it falls from June 16th to 19th.
The NBA and NHL playoffs will have concluded by that time. Out of the four major North American sports leagues, only MLB regular season will be going on, putting the spotlight on the PGA Tour.
That makes the U.S. Open an ideal spot for golf prop betting. There are several options to choose from, including the outright winner, final finishes, hole-in-ones, and much more.
In this article, we’ll help put you on the right path to success in your U.S. Open props betting venture. You’ll find everything you need to educate yourself on the best process and sportsbooks. So without further ado, let’s get right into it.
U.S. Open Props
All U.S. Open Prop odds are courtesy of Caesars Sportsbook and current as of Tuesday, June 14 at 4:15 p.m. ET.
Playoff to Decide the Winner: No (-450)
The U.S. Open playoff format isn’t like it used to be, as the USGA put an end to the 18-hole Monday playoff in 2018 and replaced it with a two-hole aggregate showdown.
That new format hasn’t been required yet, as the U.S. Open hasn’t seen a playoff since an injured Tiger Woods defeated Rocco Mediate on the 91st hole at Torrey Pines in 2008 to capture his 14th major championship.
With the field facing a daunting setup this week at The Country Club, it feels safe to expect one player to outlast the field and claim the year’s third major.
Margin of Victory: 1 Shot (+250)
While I’m not expecting a playoff, I do believe we’ll see some drama unfold on Sunday afternoon.
Each of the last four and five of the last seven U.S. Opens have been decided by a single shot, with the exceptions being Brooks Koepka’s four-shot win at Erin Hills in 2017 and Dustin Johnson’s three-shot victory at Oakmont the previous year.
We haven’t seen a one-shot winner in either of the two major championships played thus far in 2022, so now feels like a good time to back this prop with a solid return.
Top Canadian Player: Corey Conners (+110)
Conners placed in the top 10 last week at the Canadian Open and has finished 35th or better in all but one event since the start of March.
While his missed cut at the PGA Championship in May isn’t ideal, Conners should set up well for this week’s event. He is incredibly accurate off the tee, which is vital at USGA setups given the length of the rough, and his strong iron play should enable him to hit more of these small greens in regulation.
I’d expect Mackenzie Hughes (+450) to be his biggest threat in this category, but there’s no doubting that Conners is the best Canadian golfer on the planet.
At plus-money, there’s value here.
Top Irish Player: Rory McIlroy (-140)
McIlroy enters the third major of the year coming off a win at the Canadian Open, where he shot an impressive Sunday 62 to hold off Tony Finau and Justin Thomas for his 21st career PGA Tour victory.
The 2011 U.S. Open champion hasn’t won a major in eight years, but this could be a great spot for him to break that duck. McIlroy is one of the best drivers of the golf ball on the planet and this setup should reward that skillset. He also has been spectacular with his irons over the past month, which should put him in position to hit greens in regulation and avoid bogeys or worse.
McIlroy faces stiff competition in this category from Shane Lowry, who has played some fantastic golf over the last few months, but it feels like Rory is playing with a point to prove as one of the most outspoken players against LIV Golf.
His odds of finishing in the top 20 are (-200), so I’d prefer this prop if you’re looking to back Rory in a non-outright bet.
Best U.S. Open Prop Betting Sites
How U.S. Open Prop Betting Works
Each prop has varying odds, depending on the implied probability. For example, the favorite will have a lower moneyline than a longshot. Those with shorter odds offer fewer returns on investment.
Below you’ll find an overview of different types of props available at the U.S. Open.
- To Win Outright: Choose a golfer to win the tournament
- 1st Round Leader: Pick the player who has the best score after the first round
- Top Finishes: Select a player to finish anywhere from Top 2 to Top 40
- To Make Cut: Your golfer must meet the “cut" requirements after two rounds
- Head to Head: Choose one golfer to outscore the other in their pairing
- Category: Pick the leading golfer by their nationality
- Nationality: Select where the winner’s country of origin
- Hole in One: Bet whether or not there will be a hole in one
Best U.S. Open Prop Betting Sites
DraftKings started off strictly as a daily fantasy sports operator before expanding to include iGaming. It’s now considered one of the top choices on the market, renowned for its robust selection of player props.
As a golfs prop bettor, you’ll find everything you need at DraftKings, from choosing the outright winner to betting on whether there will be a hole in one.
It also helps that the app is so user-friendly without any technical issues. Be sure to make DraftKings one of your main sportsbooks for U.S. Open prop bets.
FanDuel was the first main daily fantasy sports platform before evolving into the most popular sportsbook in the United States. The site created Same Game Parlays, which has spread like wildfire throughout the industry.
This is great for golf, as you’re able to parlay different selections for higher payouts. The site has a sleek aesthetic with a blue-and-white trim that makes it visually appealing.
You’ll find a number of useful promotions here, like odds boosts on selected golfers.
Caesars is now a titan in the sports betting industry, taking off in the North American market following the purchase of the popular European sportsbook William Hill in 2021.
You can feel safe and secure depositing funds to a site attached to the reputable Caesars brand. There are multiple banking methods to make this a smooth process.
This sportsbook also features a terrific welcome bonus that can help you build your bankroll with bet credits. They also have a robust rewards system with cool perks like hotel stays and dinner reservations at Caesars properties.
BetMGM was created out of a partnership with MGM Resorts and Entain Holdings, two well-known brands in their respective fields. It’s a legitimate sportsbook that gets high grades in user experience.
The app is easy to use, the live betting platform is expansive, and there are a ton of useful promos, like odds boosts. The golf props market will have you feeling satisfied with its diverse selection.
You’ll even have a chance to live stream selected events, allowing you to follow your bet in real time.
PointsBet originated all the way in Australia, but has been able to establish a foothold in the North American market because of its innovation.
The site has its own bet type, known as “PointsBetting." This is a higher risk, greater reward style of wagering, where you win more if your selection has a greater winning margin and vice versa if it loses.
This is a thrilling form of sports betting that will have you on the edge of your seat.
Bet365 prides itself as the “World’s Favorite Sportsbook." While this seems like lofty praise from the outside observer, the site truly leads up to this high bar.
There are a ton of bet types available within the user-friendly interface that makes it easy to find your preferred wager. You’re able to create Same Game Parlays here and the golf props selection is virtually unmatched.
You can even parlay in-game wagers at Bet365, which is something not often offered at other operators.
How To Pick the Best U.S. Open Prop Betting Sites
There are a few factors to consider when selecting the best site for U.S. Open prop betting, such as:
- Odds: You want the odds to align with the rest of the market. You don’t want to be paying for overpriced moneylines. There should be several longshot props with long odds available, so that you have opportunities for higher payouts.
- Bet Types: The props selection should be robust with options like outright winner, final finishes, and head-to-head matchups. It’s better to have more choices at your disposal because this puts you in a better position for success.
- Promotions: Check to see that your site is offering any golf-specific promotions, such as odds boosts on selected players. These enhance the moneylines to offer greater payouts than the rest of the market. They are useful because they add value to your wagers.
- Welcome Bonus: The best type of new-player offer is a deposit bonus because you’re given bet credits just for funding your account. You want this promo to have a lower playthrough requirement, so that it’s easier for you to convert the bet credits into withdrawable cash. Risk-free bets are helpful as well, but first-deposit matches are best.
U.S. Open Prop Betting Promotions
The U.S. Open is sure to attract a ton of action, so we’re going to see a flurry of different promos to entice bettors to this tournament. Expect to see several odds boosts available for different golfers. Perhaps there will also be Bet and Get offers, where you receive bet credits just for participating in U.S. Open wagers.
Remember to shop around multiple sites to find these promos because give you more expected value. One sportsbook may offer an odds boost on Rory McIlroy, while another could have one on Jordan Spieth. Capitalizing on these promos is a prudent decision when betting on golf or any other sport.
Lucky for you, we’ll be staying on top of the latest offers. Simply visit our Promotions page to learn about any new bonuses available.
Best U.S. Open Prop Bets
You should focus your U.S. Open Prop bets on choosing the winner of the tournament. This offers the highest payout because it’s tough to hit, but the long odds make it an enticing option.
Another good prop is to target head-to-head matchups, where your golfer only needs to finish with a better score than the other player listed within their pair.
If you want to play it safer, you can opt to bet on a golfer’s final finish, choosing between Top-10 and Top-20. Keep in mind that these will have shorter odds, so the potential profit will be lower.
You may also bet on whether or not anyone will get a hole in one. This is such a low-probability outcome that it’s worth it to take “No," especially in a tough tournament like the U.S. Open.
U.S. Open Prop Betting Strategy
The first thing you should do with U.S. Open prop betting is to avoid novelty props like selecting the nationality of the winning player. It’s better to focus your wager by targeting the outright winner.
It’s tough to hit on this bet, but they’re at long odds. This means that you should choose more than one golfer here, going with anywhere from three to five players. Be sure to sprinkle fractional units on this bet type because it’s a low probability outcome.
The next step would be to use more of your bankroll on the Top-10 or Top-20 finish. Use the same golfers that you selected for the outright winner prop. Pick Top-10 for the golfers with the shortest odds on your list and vice versa for Top-20.
By doing this, you attempt to cover any potential losses from the outright winner prop with a safer pick like choosing their rank. You also earn yourself some winnings if your golfer has a good tournament but does not end up winning.
Alternatively, you can roll with the head-to-head props if you want to play it more conservatively. These are easier to win than the final finishes, so this is another good route to take.
When choosing your golfers, be sure to consider a number of factors, such as recent performance, track record, and course conditions. Think about if your golfer’s play style is a good fit for this particular course.
Benefits of U.S. Open Prop Betting Online
There are numerous benefits involved with betting online, such as:
- You can conveniently place a wager on your electronic device, whether at home or running errands
- Shop around for the best bets by using our Odds Comparison tool
- Get quick access to information while you’re researching your preferred golfers
- Take advantage of valuable promos and welcome bonuses
- Speak to customer service through multiple platforms
- Quickly deposit funds using the several banking methods available
How to Place a U.S. Open Prop Bet Online
It’s easy to place a prop bet at an online sportsbook. Follow these instructions:
- Click one of our links and enter our promo code (if required) while registering for a new account
- Deposit funds using one of the many banking methods available
- Go to “PGA" or “Golf" to get to the betting markets
- Select your preferred prop, such as outright winner
- Pick the golfer that you want and it will be added to your Bet Slip
- Input your desired stake and choose “Place Bet"
- You’re ready to sweat out your wager and enjoy the tournament!
Where Can I Legally Bet on The U.S. Open Online?
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
Choose More Than One U.S. Open Prop Betting Site
It’s important to sign up for an account at more than one online sportsbook. Here are the benefits:
- Get the best bang for your buck by comparing odds among different sites
- Take advantage of new-player offers like deposit bonuses from more than one operator
- Enjoy the strengths of each sportsbook: some are great for live betting, others specialize in props
Remember to try your best to max out the bonus because these are one-time offers.