Table of contents
In 2020, Washington DC’s law legalizing DC sports gambling took effect. However, DC mobile sportsbooks are unique in that they have a complicated set of rules.
Washington has the GambetDC app which is run by the DC Lottery and can be used anywhere within city limits. However, DC also permits mobile access to the BetMGM and William Hill apps, but only within a two-block radius of Nationals Park (BetMGM) and Capital One Arena (William Hill).
Can I Bet on Sports in DC?
DC mobile sports betting is available either in-person at a retail sportsbook or by mobile app. For the three online sportsbooks in DC, only GamBetDC is available anywhere within DC city limits. BetMGM and William Hill are only available within two blocks of either Nationals Park or the Capital One Arena.
Do I Have to be a Resident of DC to Bet Online?
You do not need to be a resident of DC to use any of the sportsbooks. You just need to be within the permitted limits. Similar to other online gambling providers, DC uses geolocation and IP monitoring to check that each user is within state borders while engaging in sports betting.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in DC?
The minimum age for sports betting in DC is 18 years old. However, for the BetMGM and William Hill DC mobile sportsbooks, the minimum age is 21 years old.
Why Should I Join a DC Betting Site?
The biggest benefit that comes from betting on sports is that it is a lot of fun. When you have skin in the game, the sporting event that you are watching becomes much more compelling.
That is why you should set up an account with one of the DC sportsbooks. Other benefits of betting online include:
- Easy payment options
- A large selection of bet types
- Live streaming of games
- Safer than offshore betting sites
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
Here are some of the reasons you should avoid offshore or illegal sports betting sites:
Lack of Reliable Banking Options
The best reason to steer clear of illegal betting sites is that it is hard to deposit money and even harder to withdraw.
Due to banking regulations, banks cannot accept money from offshore gaming sites. As a result, bettors must rely on cryptocurrency transactions or getting charged exorbitant fees for using a credit card.
In addition to having a tough time depositing money, it is even harder to withdraw money. Illegal betting sites often have burdensome rollover requirements for bonuses, and they do not always timely process withdrawal requests.
Additionally, if you receive cryptocurrency as payment, you run the risk of losing money just by holding your money due to the volatility of crypto markets.
Lack of Trust
One benefit of regulated sportsbooks is that they must answer to regulatory bodies to keep their license. If one of the DC mobile sportsbooks stiffs you on payment, you can file a complaint. If an offshore sportsbook stiffs you on payment, then you have no legal recourse.
Poor User Interface
Illegal betting sites often have a poor user interface due to the amount of investment a strong interface requires. As a result, illegal betting sites typically do not offer mobile betting apps and as a result, you must navigate a webpage that could have a confusing labyrinth of options.
DC Sports Betting Sites
The following are the three online sportsbooks available in DC:
GambetDC, which is sponsored by the DC Lottery, is the most widely accessible sports betting app within DC city limits. It is the only app that users can use anywhere within the city.
The only downside to GambetDC compared to other DC sports gambling sites is that there is a higher vigorish than normal. While William Hill, for example, has a 4.76 percent advantage over customers, GambetDC has an 8.26 percent vig.
BetMGM is a well-known company that is trying to be the most popular sports betting app. For DC, the only thing that is unique about the BetMGM app is that users can only place bets with it if they are within two blocks of Nationals Park. Luckily, Nationals Park is conveniently located next to the Navy Yard-Ballpark stop on the Green Metro Line.
The BetMGM sports betting app has great features such as being able to use the search bar in their menu to find the game that you are looking for. Additionally, they have an easy-to-navigate betting menu for each game.
One feature that I like using on the BetMGM is being able to live stream international basketball games. In addition to international basketball, users can also live stream other sports for free on the BetMGM app including Tennis, Table Tennis, and Soccer. Unlike live wagering, users do not need to be within two blocks of Nationals Park to watch live streams of games.
Like BetMGM, William Hill is a popular sportsbook that is now available in DC. However, William Hill is only available within two blocks of the Capital One Arena. Fortunately, the Capital One Arena is accessible by three Metro lines at the Gallery Place-Chinatown stop (Green, Red, and Yellow).
The William Hill app has an easy-to-use interface and possibly the best odds of all the DC sportsbooks. For example, for MLB money lines, William Hill has only a 2.4 percent vigorish.
How Do I Join DC Sports Betting Sites?
DC sportsbooks make signing up a relatively easy process. In order to sign up, just follow the steps below:
- Choose the sportsbook you want to join and click on one of our “Get Bonus” or “Claim Now” buttons to activate the welcome bonus.
- However you got there, fill out the registration (things like name, address, email, upload photo ID, etc.).
- If you found the site on your own, this is where you can plug in one of our promo codes to make sure you receive your bonus.
- Agree to all terms of service and hit submit, which completes the process and triggers your bonus.
- You will receive an email confirmation for your records.
- Click ‘Deposit’ and choose a banking method.
- Deposit into your new account. If receiving a deposit match bonus, both your money and the bonus will appear in your account.
How To Fund My Account
The withdrawal and funding process is easy for all three of the DC online sportsbooks. Below is the process for both:
- Click Deposit or Add Funds.
- Choose the banking method.
- Enter the amount you want to deposit.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password to confirm the process.
- The site will verify the process is complete and will be reflected in your deposit.
- Check your email for further confirmation from the sportsbook.
- Find the withdrawal option on the sportsbook app or site.
- Choose a method of withdrawal.
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction.
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation.
Fortunately, there are a variety of payment options for DC online sportsbooks. You can connect your account to your credit card, online bank account, or even an eWallet like Paypal.
For depositing, there are a variety of options available for each sportsbook. For DC sportsbooks this includes:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Online Banking
- Play+ Cards
- Online Banking
While there are fewer withdrawal options available than depositing options, there are still many ways to withdraw. For GambetDC, there are only two withdrawal options (E-Check and Play+). However, for William Hill and BetMGM, these are the options available:
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
How to Download a DC Betting App
All three DC sportsbooks are available for iPhone and Android either in the Apple Store, Google Play store, or directly on the GamBetDC, BetMGM, and William Hill websites.
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in DC?
In DC, bettors can bet on virtually everything including Basketball (NBA, NCAA), Football (NFL, NCAA), Soccer, Golf, Tennis, Boxing, MMA, NASCAR, Darts, Cycling, and more.
The only restrictions on DC sports gambling are that betting is prohibited on DC colleges or collegiate events within the District of Columbia. However, college sports betting outside DC among universities not within the district is allowed.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the District of Columbia:
- Washington Wizards
- Washington Capitals
- Washington Nationals
- Washington Football Team
- University of Maryland (NCAA)
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: The moneyline is the most basic form of sports betting. It’s simply the bettor picking which team will win, balanced by the sportsbook’s odds that it will happen. The favorite will have a negative moneyline, while the underdog will have a positive moneyline.
- Point Spread: The margin of victory involved in betting Against The Spread (ATS). The bettor is wagering on the point margin between two teams.
- Totals: Also known as an Over/Under, is betting on a game or prop total for more (Over) or fewer (Under) than a sportsbook-designated total.
- Props: Bet on an item not directly involved with the score/result of a game. A prop could be a player’s total points scored, home runs hit, touchdowns scored, and it can be team totals like passing yards, three-pointers made, etc.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows a sports bettor to place wagers on games as they happen. The sportsbook will change the odds as the game progresses depending on what’s happening in the game.
- Futures: Betting on an event, statistic, or anything similar to occur after the end of a full event or season. An example of this would be betting on next year’s Super Bowl winner in the preseason.
- Parlays: A single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. If any of the bets in the parlay lose, the entire parlay loses.
DC Sportsbook List
Below are the following land-based sportsbooks available in DC:
- William Hill at Capital One Arena
- BetMGM at Nationals Park
Can I Play at Online Casinos in DC?
No, online casinos are not available in DC.
When Did DC Sports Betting Become Legal?
Following the Supreme Court decision which overturned PASPA in May 2018, Washington DC quickly went to work on legalizing sports betting. Starting in May 2020 during the pandemic, the district began to roll out legal sports betting.
DC Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018 – After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- December 18, 2018 – The DC City Council passes the Sports Wagering Lottery Amendment Act, officially legalizing sports betting in DC.
- May 28, 2020 – The DC Lottery launches the GambetDC app, becoming the first online sportsbook available in DC.