Online sports betting legally launched in Connecticut during the fall of 2021. When New Jersey took advantage of sports betting in 2018, Connecticut saw an opportunity to be one of the first in the New England area to offer legal online sports betting.
Connecticut gamers now have several options to choose from when it comes to online sports betting. Mohegan Sun Casino is partnered with FanDuel while Foxwoods Resort and Casino is partnered with DraftKings. SugarHouse Sportsbook is also available and is operated by the state lottery.
Here’s what you need to know about sports betting in Connecticut.
Can I Bet on Sports in Connecticut?
Yes! Online sports betting and in-person sports betting was rolled out in fall 2021, and there are various options for potential sports bettors in the Nutmeg State.
Do I Have to be a Resident of CT to Bet Online?
No. You just need to be located within state lines at the time you’re placing a wager. Online operators use geolocation software to determine the physical location of a device.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in CT?
The legal gambling age is 21 for casino gaming and 18 for pari-mutuel wagering. That means that sports bettors must be 21 in order to put real money down on games.
Why Should I Join a Connecticut Betting Site?
Connecticut users multiple options to choose from and enabling them to shop around and compare odds.
DraftKings and FanDuel are two of the most popular, well-known sportsbooks in the US. They offer tons of wagering opportunities across a variety of sports for gamers to choose from and also have terrific promotions like risk-free bets and same-game parlays.
SugarHouse is a strong option as well with an exceptional new user signup option and a glossary of terms that enable new and novice gamblers to feel comfortable before putting out their money.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
Betting on offshore books is not only illegal but they also give you the worst possible lines and make you pay for high juice. While betting on offshore books is not illegal for the individual who places wagers, for the offshore site itself, it’s unlawful.
- The Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act of 2016 makes it illegal for offshore sites to process financial transactions that are related to online wagering.
- Juiced up lines and terrible prices compared to legal books.
- If an offshore site decides not to payout, you will lose your money and can’t fight for it back.
Connecticut Sports Betting Sites
Connecticut has several great sportsbooks for gamers to choose from, here is a look at each.
DraftKings is one of the most popular sportsbooks in the world and is the most widely available sportsbook across the United States. DraftKings has a simple user interface and is extremely easy to user while also offering a slew of bonuses and promos that are worth taking advantage of for Connecticut residents.
FanDuel is the No. 1 sportsbook in the United States, with an extremely user-friendly interface, elite odds and a tremendous and ever-growing assortment of betting options for new and existing users.
FanDuel rose to the top of the sportsbook rankings in the U.S. thanks in part to their rolling out of same-game parlays, where bettors could combine markets from the same event. FanDuel then upped the ante further by rolling out the Same-Game Parlay+, where users could combined multiple single-game markets from more than one event, leading to incredible wagers and payouts.
The FanDuel sportsbook also has revolutionized withdrawal and deposit options, enabling users to put many in and take money out via Venmo.
SugarHouse sportsbook is another terrific option for bettors in the Nutmeg State. It offers competitive odds, same-game parlays and data and advice for bettors who want all the available information at their disposal before putting down their money.
SugarHouse has an exceptional welcome offer and a glossary of terms designed at teaching new and novice gamblers who might feel intimidated if they don’t know certain specifics yet.
How Do I Join Connecticut Sports Betting Sites?
Depending on where they prefer to play, sports bettors can join one or more online sportsbooks in Connecticut. Signing up is easy, just follow these steps:
- Choose the sportsbook you want to join and click on one of our “Get Bonus” or “Claim Now” buttons to activate the welcome bonus.
- However you got there, Fill out the registration (things like name, address, email, upload photo ID, etc.).
- If you found the site on your own, this is where you can plug in one of our promo codes to make sure you receive your bonus.
- Agree to all terms of service and hit submit, which completes the process and triggers your bonus.
- You will receive an email confirmation for your records.
- Click ‘Deposit’ and choose a banking method.
- Deposit into your new account. If receiving a deposit match bonus, both your money and the bonus will appear in your account.
- Begin placing wagers.
How To Fund My Account
Sportsbooks make it easy to deposit or withdraw your money safely and securely. Below is the process for both:
If this is your first time depositing money, don’t worry! The process is simple. Choose which payment option works best for you and go from there.
- Click Deposit or Add Funds.
- Choose the banking method.
- Enter the amount you want to deposit.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password to confirm the process.
- The site will verify the process is complete and will be reflected in your deposit.
- Check your email for further confirmation from the sportsbook.
When you’re winning money, you will want to withdraw some of that cash eventually. The process to withdraw money is as simple as depositing money.
- Find the withdrawal option on the sportsbook app or site.
- Choose a method of withdrawal.
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction.
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation.
If you’re looking to deposit or withdraw money from a sportsbook, there are many options to choose from. You can use whatever you feel most comfortable doing, whether that’s depositing money through your bank or paying cash at a casino.
No matter what, there’s plenty of ways to deposit money and withdraw your money, so go get started today!
In Connecticut, there are plenty of deposit options listed on the legal sportsbooks. We’ve listed the most popular deposit options below.
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
You won’t find as long of a list to withdraw your money, but there’s an option for everyone and still plenty of ways to turn your balance into hard cash. Here’s the list of withdrawal options that Connecticut sportsbooks offer below.
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
- Cash At Casino Cage
How to Download a CT Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in CT?
There are plenty of sports to bet on in Connecticut, including the following:
- Auto Racing
- Mixed Martial Arts
- Track and Field
Each sportsbook has its own rules and regulations, so not every sportsbook follows the same guidelines. There are, however, certain restrictions that all sports bettors must follow in the state of CT. Below are the following restrictions:
- Bettors can not wager on in-state collegiate teams.
- Bettors can not wager on high school athletics.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the states of Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New York:
- Connecticut Sun
- New England Patriots
- New York Jets
- New York Giants
- Boston Celtics
- New York Knicks
- Brooklyn Nets
- Boston Red Sox
- New York Mets
- New York Yankees
- Boston Bruins
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: A moneyline bet is the easiest bet in sports betting. Unless a game can result in a tie, you would pick either side of a game and pick the team you expect to win.
- Point Spread: It’s not as straightforward as moneyline wagers, but it’s certainly the most popular bet. The point spread helps sportsbooks collect wagers on both sides of a game despite one team being a heavy favorite. With this, oddsmakers either give or take points from a team and give bettors a chance to bet a team getting points added to their score or subtracted.
- Totals: A totals bet is also known as over/under, which is a bet where you wager on the combined points between teams in a game. You are looking to predict whether the total goes over or under the number and are not trying to wager on the exact number.
- Props: A prop bet is a bet made regarding the occurrence or non-occurrence during a game of an event that doesn’t have any skin in the game’s outcome. You can bet on whether a player scores 10 points or if a batter hits a home run, for example.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows you to bet on the game while the game is in progress.
- Futures: This is a wager on an event, series, or award that will finish in the future.
- Parlays: A parlay is adding two or more selections into one bet to boost the odds but also make it harder to win a bet.
Connecticut Sportsbook List
Can I Play at Online Casinos in CT?
No, Connecticut does not offer any licensed online casinos or gambling sites at this time. That will likely change soon, however, given the prominence of brick-and-mortar casinos in the state.
When Did Connecticut Sports Betting Become Legal?
Retail sports betting launched in September 2021, followed by the launch of online sports betting in October 2021.
CT Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018 - After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- December 7, 2020 - DraftKings and the Mashantucket Tribe agree to a partnership for DraftKings to offer sports betting at Foxwoods Resort Casino once sports betting becomes legal.
- May 27, 2021 - Governor Ned Lamont signed House Bill 6451 into law, legalizing sports betting in the state.
- July 7, 2021 - FanDuel and Mohegan Sun agree to a partnership for FanDuel to offer sports betting at their retail casino.
- September 30, 2021 - Retail sports betting launches in Connecticut
- October 12, 2021 - Online sports betting soft launches, followed by a full launch on October 19