Table of contents
West Virginia now offers retail and online sports betting. The Mountain State followed in the footsteps of New Jersey, Delaware, Nevada, and Pennsylvania to become the fifth state in the US to legalize online sportsbooks.
Legal sports betting in West Virginia means that residents and visitors to the state can place bets on their favorite sports. This review takes a closer look at the online sportsbooks, bonuses, promotions, and other sports betting offerings in West Virginia.
Here’s what you need to know about sports betting in West Virginia.
Can I Bet on Sports in West Virginia?
Yes, the Mountain State boasts four prominent and established online sportsbooks. This means that you can expect a solid sports betting experience in this state.
Do I Have to Be a Resident of WV to Bet Online?
No, you do not have to be a native West Virginian to access the state’s online gambling platforms. You must, however, be present in the state. Online operators use geolocation software to determine the physical location of a device.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in WV?
You need to be at least 21-years-old in order to place sports bets in West Virginia legally.
Why Should I Join a West Virginia Betting Site?
Betting in West Virginia is fun and easy to do. More importantly, it’s extremely safe and secure for bettors. Here are some reasons why you should bet in West Virginia:
- All legal sportsbooks in the state are licensed and regulated by the West Virginia Lottery Commission.
- The sportsbooks are audited to make sure your personal information and funds are safe and secure.
- It’s very convenient as you can bet at home or on the go.
- Betting lines are fair and consistent.
- Many sportsbooks offer welcome bonuses and promotions for joining.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
Offshore sportsbooks should be avoided because they are unreliable and untrustworthy. Here are some reasons to avoid offshore betting sites:
- Offshore sportsbooks are unregulated with no oversight.
- Fewer banking options and can be difficult to deposit.
- You can’t trust that you’ll be paid and there is little recourse if it happens.
- There are fewer betting options available.
- There are no betting apps available, so it’s more inconvenient.
West Virginia Sports Betting Sites
Unlike most states, the list of options for online sportsbooks is limited in West Virginia. More online sportsbooks will come to the state, but for right now, West Virginia only has five available online sportsbooks.
Some of the top sportsbook apps that are available to West Virginia Players players are:
In August 2019 saw DraftKings entering the West Virginia online sports betting scene. This daily fantasy sports operator took on sports betting when it partnered with Penn National Gaming, which owns and operates the Hollywood Casino in West Virginia.
This online sports betting operator distinguishes itself with its superior online platforms that provide exceptional navigation and other functions. Main menus flow logically into sub-menus, making for accessible selections and switching between the various options.
DraftKings offers betting opportunities on daily fantasy sports and a sportsbook with all the regular betting options. Sports fans can bet on professional leagues, international events, and everyday favorites such as golf and tennis.
FanDuel beat its rival, DraftKings, in the West Virginia launch race, albeit by only two days. This daily fantasy sports operator turned sportsbook made its debut on the Mountain State online circuit in August 2019. The correlation between the web-based and mobile versions is currently the most accurate on the market.
The marked tabs make for easy navigation and switching between betting options. The bottom menu provides players with information on support options, FAQs, the regulatory authorities, and responsible gambling help sites. Players must register an account before the app can be accessed.
In terms of sports, the FanDuel betting site covers national and international leagues, major sports events, and daily sports. The overall ratings of this bookmaker are impressive. As a legit operator, you won’t be disappointed with FanDuel’s functionality and offerings.
BetMGM, being the third operator to launch an online sportsbook in West Virginia, splashed onto the market without preamble in January 2020. Backed by MGM Resorts International and GVC Holdings, this online sportsbook is sure to be a success in the Mountain State. BetMGM is no newcomer to the online betting arena, having established its prominence and success in Nevada, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
Desktop users can access BetMGM’s sportsbook directly on the web. The site and app provide easy and effective navigation. BetMGM is your one-stop online sportsbook for a wide selection of sports to bet on. You’ll find all the major leagues and sports events, as well as international sports offerings. BetMGM is an established name in the US online betting market. This legit operator offers players a wide selection of sports and betting options.
William Hill Sportsbook
William Hill sportsbook is the most recent online sportsbook to launch in West Virginia. It went live in September 2020. This famous name in online sports betting migrated from England to the US gambling markets.
This online sports betting operator had already established a name and solid reputation in other states before entering the market in West Virginia. William Hill offers players innovations such as in-play cashouts and wagers.
This online sportsbook partnered with local, national sports leagues, and ESPN to bring you the ultimate in sports betting. William Hill offers players a comprehensive array of sports and betting options, with a special focus on European football.
Other sports betting sites in WV include betly which was launched by Mardi Gras Casino in 2020.
How Do I Join West Virginia Sports Betting Sites?
Every sportsbook sets out to make the registration process as easy and efficient for players as it possibly can. As a general guide, you will usually need to complete the following steps:
- Go to the WV betting site and either register online or download the app
- Complete the registration process on the app if using it
- Provide the information requested, which will include basic personal details such as name and address, plus the last four digits of your social security number
- Enter your promo code if you have one
- Read and accept the terms and conditions
- Wait for verification that you have been accepted as a customer
- Deposit funds and start betting
Be aware that all licensed West Virginia sportsbooks must verify your identity, age, and location. They need to know that you are who you say you are, that you are over 21, and that you are in the state of West Virginia. Online sportsbooks use high-quality identification and geolocation technology, and verification is usually done within minutes or even seconds. If it takes longer, it may mean that you have entered details incorrectly.
All online operators in West Virginia support responsible gambling. Players may be turned away if they are red-flagged for gambling problems.
How To Fund My Account
Online West Virginia sportsbooks make it quick and easy to deposit funds and withdraw winnings. Not every sportsbook has the same options, but all are user-friendly.
Depositing funds into your account is easy, and the process should go like this:
- Click Cashier, Deposit, or Add Funds
- Choose your payment options
- Enter the amount you want to deposit
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password to confirm the process
- The WV betting site will verify the process is complete, and it will be reflected in your deposit
- Check email for further confirmation from the sportsbook
Withdrawal funds are secure as long as you are wagering with a site that is licensed by the state’s Lottery Commission. Some sportsbooks may require verification (such as a driver’s license) before processing withdrawal requests.
Similar to depositing funds, withdrawing is relatively easy:
- Find the withdrawal option on the WV sportsbook app or site
- Choose a method of withdrawal
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal, and you will receive an email confirmation
Once your account is set up, you will need to deposit some funds before you can start betting. Most West Virginia sports betting sites and apps accept a wide range of deposit options. When it comes to withdrawing any winnings, you can request a withdrawal at any time, and your winnings are usually returned to the same account or online wallet you used to deposit.
Each operator will have different payment methods, so check that your preferred payment method is available before signing up. Most funding sources are instant, but some can take a few days to clear.
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
Compared to deposits, there are fewer options to withdraw funds, but there are still enough options out there:
- Cash At Casino Cage
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
How to Download a West Virginia Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in WV?
West Virginia offers its sports fans a large number of sports to bet on. With names such as DraftKings, BetMGM, William Hill, and FanDuel, sports are well covered and include:
- Football (NFL, NCAA)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAA)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
- Mixed Martial Arts (UFC)
West Virginia’s sports betting options are on a par and compare well with the sports betting options in other states that legalized online sportsbooks.
Each sportsbook has its own rules and regulations, so not every sportsbook follows the same guidelines. There are, however, certain restrictions that all sports bettors must follow in the state of WV. Below are the following restrictions:
- Bettors can not wager on high school athletics.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the state of West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Ohio:
- West Virginia Mountaineers (NCAA)
- Marshall Thundering Herd (NCAA)
- Pittsburgh Steelers
- Cleveland Cavaliers
- Pittsburgh Pirates
- Cincinnati Reds
- Pittsburgh Penguins
- Columbus Blue Jackets
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline:The moneyline is the most basic form of sports betting. It’s simply the bettor picking which team will win, balanced by the sportsbook’s odds that it will happen. The favorite will have a negative moneyline, while the underdog will have a positive moneyline.
- Point Spread: The margin of victory involved in betting Against The Spread (ATS). The bettor is wagering on the point margin between two teams.
- Totals: Also known as an Over/Under, is betting on a game or prop total for more (Over) or fewer (Under) than a sportsbook-designated total.
- Props: Bet on an item not directly involved with the score/result of a game. A prop could be a player’s total points scored, home runs hit, touchdowns scored, and it can be team totals like passing yards, three-pointers made, etc.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows a sports bettor to place wagers on games as they happen. The sportsbook will change the odds as the game progresses depending on what’s happening in the game.
- Futures: Betting on an event, statistic, or anything similar to occur after the end of a full event or season. An example of this would be betting on next year’s Super Bowl winner in the preseason.
- Parlays:A single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. If any of the bets in the parlay lose, the entire parlay loses.
West Virginia Sportsbook List
West Virginia offers gambling fans land-based and online sports betting. As mentioned above, the Mountain State boasts four big online names in sports betting. Both online and retail sportsbooks must be affiliated with a brick-and-mortar casino in West Virginia. The following retail sportsbooks can be visited in this state:
- Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races
- The Greenbrier Casino Club
- Mountaineer Casino Racetrack & Resort
- Mardi Gras Casino & Resort
- Wheeling Island Hotel Casino Racetrack
Can I Play at Online Casinos in WV?
Yes, you can legally play at online casinos in West Virginia. Online casinos are up and running in the Mountain State.
DraftKings was the first online casino to throw open its virtual doors in 2020. West Virginia’s online casinos offer fans a variety of slots and table games. There are several online casinos in the pipeline.
When Did WV Sports Betting Become Legal?
West Virginia passed its sports betting legalization bill in March 2018. The US Supreme Court affirmed the law permitting online sportsbooks two months later, in May 2018.
The West Virginia Lottery regulates the online gambling industry in the Mountain State. This objective came to fruition when the Charles Town-based Hollywood Casino took its first wager on August 30, 2018, the date of its soft launch. The official launch date occurred a couple of days later, on September 1, 2018. The BetLucky online sportsbook followed hot on the heels of this retail casino and commenced online sports betting in December 2018.
West Virginia’s race to establish online sports betting wasn’t smooth. It came to a halt when BetLucky withdrew its online services. In fact, to date, this online operator hasn’t resumed its online sports betting activities. These issues arose when the Delaware North Casino distanced itself from Miomni. Miomni provided technical retail and online operations at two Delaware North casinos in West Virginia. The third-party issues and disputes spilled over to BetLucky and temporarily brought the curtain down on retail operators Mardi Gras and Wheeling Island.
Online sports betting returned to West Virginia six months later.
West Virginia Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018 – After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- August 30, 2018 – The Hollywood Casino at Charles Town began accepting the first legal wagers.
- September 1, 2018 – The official launch date of sports betting occurred.
- March 6, 2019 – Mardi Gras and Wheeling sportsbooks and their online app BetLucky Sportsbook ceased operations. This caused the state to have no online sports betting options.
- August 26, 2019 – After a six-month hiatus, online sports betting returned to the state of West Virginia as FanDuel launched in the state.