Online casino gambling was legalized in West Virginia in 2019. At that time, each land-based casino could seek licensing from the state lottery. Players in the state have access to top-rated providers for casino gaming, including DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, and Caesars.
Discover more about the online casino industry in West Virginia with our guide below. We provide insight into the market, including details on top providers, game options, and banking.
Are Online Casinos Legal in West Virginia?
Yes! The state legalized online casinos in 2019 and offers land-based gaming as well. Residents and visitors will be able to find a gaming option easily.
When Did Online Casinos Launch in West Virginia?
Sites first began offering services in 2019. DraftKings was the first online casino to enter the market.
WV Online Casino List
Below are the online casino sites you will find in West Virginia. Learn more about each provider to determine which will work best for your gaming needs.
Launching in August 2020 via a partnership with The Greenbrier, BetMGM Casino is a top choice for online casino players. There are slots, table games, jackpot games, exclusive titles, live dealer, and more to be explored. The platform is streamlined and easy to use, with quality banking methods, plenty of promotions, and helpful support.
Partnered with Mountaineer Casino, the BetRivers casino brand launched in April 2021. The brand offers a unique online casino platform with all the popular gaming options and tournament action. There is always an event or special promotion available that players can take advantage of. The brand also categorizes its games well, allowing easy access to software provider categories.
Players choose the Caesars brand for a well-known provider of iGaming that offers a simplified platform. This casino is also partnered with Mountaineer Casino and launched in April 2021. The site has a nice collection of slots and table games for players to explore.
One of the first to launch in the state, DraftKings operates in WV via a deal with Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races. The platform was live in July 2020 and includes over 300 quality casino games. Players can enjoy slots, table games, and live dealer, with classic and exclusive titles on offer.
Working with The Greenbrier, Fanduel Casino made its debut in West Virginia in May 2021. The platform offers a nice setup with easy-to-navigate gaming categories. FanDuel offers everything from slots and table games to live dealer and video poker. There are promotions here as well to help players earn incentives from gameplay.
Golden Nugget Casino
The Golden Nugget Casino is also partnered with The Greenbrier and opened a bit later in October 2021. The online casino has a unique setup, with every game category easy to spot and browse. Golden Nugget is known for its exclusive games and unique promotions offered to every member of the site.
Opening in August 2021, the PointsBet Casino came to fruition in WV thanks to a deal with the Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races. This online casino is the smallest in the state, offering only slots and table games. While the collection is limited, it still provides quality gaming options. Connected to the sportsbook, it’s a great way for sports bettors to take a break and wager on a few fun casino titles.
Upcoming West Virginia Online Casinos
The number of online casinos in West Virginia is limited compared to other states like New Jersey and Pennsylvania. While the market is small, it is expected to continue to grow. WynnBET is expected to launch in the state, though when or how is anyone’s guess. WynnBET is operational in several states via sports betting and casino gaming, so it is only a matter of time before they are live in WV.
Best WV Online Casinos
From our list of online casinos in West Virginia, we have selected the top three to give you a good starting point.
- BetMGM: This brand just offers it all. Promotions, bonuses, rewards, and quality games. BetMGM provides an all-around top-notch casino gaming site that players will love.
- BetRivers: Players can access games based on the software developer at this online casino. This is a unique categorization feature that helps players to find games they love or explore unknown developers.
- DraftKings: This online gaming site made the list due to its gaming collection. We love the exclusive games here, and the more than 300 titles give us plenty to play.
How to Choose the Best WV Online Casino
Selecting an online casino is simple if you know what features to look for. Think about what you want in an online casino. Is the focus games or promotions? What about safety and security? We cover all the important topics below, so you know what elements to research before selecting a new online casino site to play with.
Game selection is an important factor to consider when selecting an online casino. Does the site include what you enjoy? Are there slots, table games, and live dealer? Most online casinos offer similar content, but some portfolios will have more games than others. Look through a platform you are interested in to see what you can play.
Signing up for a new online casino account gives you access to welcome deals. Such promotions can include no-deposit bonuses and first-deposit match offers. What type of deal are you looking for? Do you want to spend money, or would you rather receive a freebie? Review an online casino’s welcome deals to see what suits your playing style.
You also want to look at the terms and conditions to learn more about wagering requirements. Always look for offers with minimal requirements so you can complete the offer and cash out as soon as possible if you like.
Existing Customer Promotions
Promotions should also be available for existing customers. What types of deals does a provider offer? Are there free spins or leaderboard competitions? Evaluating this information gives you insight into what you can expect as a regular player with the brand.
The interface of the online casino is also important. Is the platform easy to navigate? Is it cluttered and hard to review? Take a look at the platform of any online casino you are considering joining. Make sure it meets your standards, is easy to use, and offers all the information you need in plain sight, such as the cashier and customer support.
Because online casinos in West Virginia allow you to win real money, you need access to payment methods. What options are available for deposit and withdrawal? Do you need to use the same method for both transaction types? What are the minimum and maximum limits per method? Review the FAQ section or speak to support to gain this information before signing up.
Having access to online casino gaming via mobile is a must. Most providers offer an app these days or at least mobile browser gaming. Check each provider to ensure they have a mobile platform and read through reviews. Are there any issues with the app, such as bugs or crashes? This helps you to decide which site to join if you prefer playing with a smartphone or tablet.
Lastly, the customer support section is also important. You need to be able to reach support at a moment’s notice. We prefer sites that have a live chat for quick access. Review a provider’s customer support options to see if you can contact someone quickly.
Who Is Eligible for West Virginia Online Casino Account?
Players must be located in West Virginia and 21 years of age or older to access online casino gaming. Anyone on a self-exclusion list is ineligible to create an account.
Do I Have to be a Resident of WV to Play Online?
No, players do not have to reside in WV to play. However, you do need to be in the state to pass geolocation checks and play games.
What Is the Legal Gambling Age in WV?
The legal gambling age in West Virginia is 21. This age limit includes both in-person and online gambling.
Why Should I Join a West Virginia Casino Site?
Joining an online casino in West Virginia is a fun way to play slots and table games whenever you like, but there are also additional benefits. Take a look at the list below to see why you should experience casino gaming from the top-rated providers in the Mountain State.
One of the main reasons a player enjoys online casino gaming is convenience. You can open your smartphone or laptop anytime to play a game. It takes seconds to load an app or site, and you can play from anywhere inside West Virginia. Convenience is key, and in WV, players can easily enjoy their favorite casino games anytime, anywhere.
More Buy-in Control
Online casino sites also offer players more buy-in control. When you visit a land-based casino, you are restricted to the buy-ins they offer for slots and table games. There is more leeway at online gaming sites regarding how much you can wager. Slots allow you to select a bet per payline and the number of paylines on offer to decrease or increase your wager. You have more control, which helps you to wager what you like and stay on top of your gaming budget.
Games at a land-based casino can be slow, especially if you are at a table game where players must make decisions. Waiting on someone else to complete a hand for it to be your turn can take a few minutes. Online, there is no slowdown to decision-making because you are playing by yourself. Easily play more hands than you would at a physical casino location.
No Travel Time
When you visit a land-based casino, you have to travel to get there. The trip may be short or long, but it is an added expense, plus time away from home. If you have to travel an hour or longer to reach a WV casino, that is time-consuming. Skip the wait and drive time by logging in online to play your favorite games.
Playing from home is also more cost-effective than traveling to a local casino. You need to spend gas money to drive to the location, and you most likely will spend money on dining or other entertainment, even an overnight stay. You can play without the added expense by gambling at home with your mobile or desktop. Of course, a trip to the casino is fun, but you will spend much less if you play from home.
Live Dealer Games
If you think you will miss out on the live experience, think again, as most WV online casino sites offer live dealer gaming. Online casino providers in the state offer live dealer gaming so that you can play games like blackjack and roulette in a live setting. Enjoy realistic gameplay without having to leave your home.
Why Avoid Offshore Casinos
Offshore casinos are gaming sites that are not licensed to operate in West Virginia. While such sites may have good reviews among players, it is a risky move to play at a site that is not licensed. Below we will list some of the pitfalls you might experience via offshore sites.
Offshore casinos are not licensed in WV, so they do not fall under the regulation of the state’s gaming overseer. Because of this, you do not have an entity to complain to if an issue arises. This is a big deal, especially if you have an issue with your personal information being breached, non-payment of wins, or other problems. It is better to avoid this unwanted risk by playing with licensed and regulated providers in the state.
Another problem involves banking issues. Some offshore sites offer limited banking methods that might not work for you. Even if they provide credit or debit card options, your cardholder might not complete the transaction. You may also find some offshore sites that are bad actors and might try to avoid paying out wins. If this occurs, you do not have a regulator to appeal with.
Some offshore sites that are considered shady do not offer fair gaming options. In West Virginia, any licensed site must complete regular testing of gaming software. Random number generators must be included to ensure that the games are fair and have a random outcome with each spin or hand dealt. Some sites like to provide copies of games with an unfair payout percentage towards the house. You are basically guaranteed to lose, and the house always wins. This is unfair to the player and should be avoided.
How Do Welcome Offers Work?
A welcome offer is an online casino deal that WV sites provide to new members. The incentive is offered to entice new players to sign up for an account. Offers can vary based on the casino but generally include a no-deposit or first-deposit match deal.
A WV no-deposit bonus is one where you earn a set amount of bonus funds for gaming. You do not have to deposit any money to receive the bonus cash. You can then use the funds to play slots, blackjack, or other games.
With a first deposit match deal, you will receive a percentage of bonus cash based on your deposit. Once you create an account, take advantage of such a deal to boost your bankroll immediately. Most sites offer a 100% match with bonus funds of up to $1,000. Add up to the set amount to earn the exact same back in bonus cash.
Keep in mind that online casinos do have wagering requirements that players must meet. Read the terms and conditions before you claim a deal to ensure you understand what you need to do to complete it.
How to Sign Up for a WV Online Casino
- Use one of our links at The Game Day to get started.
- Click on the Join Now or Signup button at the operator once you load the site using our link.
- Fill out the registration form with your name, address, email, telephone number, birthday, last four digits of your social security number, and any other info requested.
- Complete the form and agree to the terms and conditions.
- Verify your account via email if needed.
- Once approved, log in and deposit funds. You are now ready to play casino games!
How to Download a West Virginia Casino App
If you wish to play online casino games on your smartphone or tablet, you can do so via the app. Use the steps below to download an online casino app in WV via your iPhone or Android.
- Open the Apple Play Store on your iPhone.
- Search for the app you wish to play, such as BetMGM.
- Once you locate the app, click GET.
- Wait for the app to install on your device.
- Open it and sign in to your account. You can create an account in the app if you do not have one already. Use our bonus code, if applicable, to take advantage of any special signup deals.
- Open the Google Play Store on your mobile.
- Search for an online casino app in WV, such as Caesars.
- Click the app to download it once you locate it.
- Once installed, open the app on your device.
- Log in to your player account. Create a new one if you do not have an account.
- After you are logged in, deposit funds if needed and start playing.
How To Fund My Account
- Log in to your gaming account to play online casino games for real money.
- Click on the cashier in my account section of the app or site.
- Select deposit and enter the amount you wish to add.
- Select a banking method.
- Follow the instructions provided by the online casino to deposit funds.
- Once your transaction is completed, you should see the cash in your account.
- You are now ready to play games!
- PayPal: Easily use the e-wallet to instantly add funds to your online casino account.
- PayNearMe: Use cash to deposit by visiting a nearby PayNearMe retailer like 7-Eleven or Family Dollar.
- American Express: This credit card company is an option for your deposit needs.
- Visa/MasterCard: Most online casinos in WV accept debit and credit cards from these companies.
- Play+ Card: Apply for the Play+ card for a premium deposit method.
- Skrill: The e-wallet is a great alternative for depositing and is a quick way to add funds.
- Online Banking: Use an existing checking or savings account to add funds.
- VIP Preferred: This service makes it easy to connect a personal account for your deposit needs.
- PayPal: The e-wallet is a great option to use when securely removing funds from an online casino site.
- Play+ Card: With this special card, you can withdraw cash or use the card to spend at locations that accept Discover.
- Skrill: Use the e-wallet to store your wins.
- Online Banking: Easily remove online casino wins from your account to an online checking or savings account.
- VIP Preferred: This option allows you to withdraw via the service to an online bank account.
Remember, each online casino will offer different payment methods for depositing and withdrawing funds. Review the available methods before creating an account to ensure the site will work for you.
Casino Games Available
The game selection at online casinos in West Virginia is solid. The main categories of games are found in the state, with some sites offering hundreds of titles to pick from. Below are sections you should see at most sites, with various games in each category based on the software provider.
- Slots: The selection of slot games will be quite large, no matter which site you choose. Games will include progressives, jackpot titles, 3-reel, 5-reel, and more. Slots offer a nice variety to the reel spinning with different themes and features.
- Table Games: in this category, you should find blackjack, roulette, craps, baccarat, and other titles. Some operators offer only traditional formats, while others have more unique variations of the games.
- Poker: Enjoy casino-style poker with casino hold’em, three-card poker, and more.
- Video Poker: Electronic versions of poker are also on offer, with options for Joker Poker, Bonus Poker, and Deuces Wild, among others.
- Additional Games: There may also be other games offered at WV online casinos, including lottery-style games, keno, etc.
- Live Dealer: This section may be limited compared to other states, but players can access live casino games. Enjoy blackjack, roulette, and baccarat, among other titles.
There are minimal playing restrictions in West Virginia. All game types are allowed, so players can easily access various options. There will be a set minimum and maximum bet you can play per game, which will vary based on the title you select.
West Virginia Retail Casinos
- Casino Club at The Greenbrier: 300 W Main St, White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986
- Hollywood Casino at Charles Town Races: 750 Hollywood Dr, Charles Town, WV 25414
- Mardi Gras Casino & Resort: 1 Greyhound Drive, Cross Lanes, WV, 25313
- Mountaineer Casino, Racetrack, and Resort: 1420 Mountaineer Circle, New Cumberland, WV 26047
- Wheeling Island Hotel, Casino, Racetrack: 1 S Stone Street, Wheeling, WV 26003
Can I Bet at Sportsbooks in WV?
Yes. Sports betting is a legalized activity in West Virginia. Online casinos are often connected to sportsbooks, and physical venues are also located in the state.
When Did WV Online Casinos Become Legal?
Online casinos were legalized in the Mountain State in March 2019.
WV Online Casino Legal Timeline
- 2017: Sports betting legislation is introduced but fails to move forward.
- 2018: Sports betting legislation is passed into law.
- 2019: legislation allowing online casino gaming and poker rooms is signed into law. WV becomes the fourth state in the US to offer legal iGaming.
- 2020: Sites began to launch in the state. DraftKings was the first to offer services.