Tipico was originally based in Europe before entering the U.S. market in 2020. They are a user-friendly platform that makes sports betting accessible for each type of player.
There are various bet types at Tipico, including totals, which are also referred to as Over/Unders. Each game has an assigned number, where you’re required to pick Over or Under. You can even wager on players for this in the props market.
In this article, we’ll provide an in-depth overview on how to wager on Over/Unders at Tipico, including strategy and best practices. By the end, you’ll be ready to attack this betting market.
How to Bet Totals on Tipico
Here are the steps involved with placing an Over/Under wager on Tipico:
Step 1: Create an Account or Sign In
Read over our Tipico Hands-on Review to familiarize yourself with this platform. You’ll notice a “Get Bonus" link there, which will take you to the landing page and gain you access to the best signup offer. From here, you’ll have to provide your name, address, and more. If you have an account, simply sign in.
Step 2: Deposit Funds
The next step involves you putting money into your account. Click “Deposit" to open up the banking methods, which includes several options, such as Credit/Debit Card. You’ll be able to play with your deposited funds right away.
Step 3: Navigate the Betting Markets
Now you can choose the sport that you want. Each one is organized by league, so it’s easily accessible. You’ll find full-game Over/Unders on the main page, as they’re one of the more popular bet types. If you want more, you need to click “More Wagers."
Step 4: Add to Your Bet Slip
Select your preferred total to add it to your bet slip. Tipico will show your potential payout, which is based on your allotted risk and the odds in the event.
Step 5: Straight or Parlay?
The last step requires you to decide if you want a straight bet or parlay. The former requires you just to click “Place Bet," while the latter involves going back to the main page and adding another pick.
What Is Over/Under Betting on Tipico?
Over/Under Betting is where you select Over or Under the assigned number. It can relate to a full game or periods, quarters, or halves. You can focus on the combined score of both sides or target only one team. There are also player props with Over/Unders, which relate to specific stats.
How Do Tipico Totals Work?
Totals are determined by several factors, such as recent performance, game environment, home/away splits, and more.
For example, teams that have shown that they can score points at a high rate will have a larger number for their total.
You’ll notice that the odds will vary, usually landing at -110/-110 but sometimes -115/-105 or -120/+100.
Tipico Over/Under Rules
Remember these rules when betting on Over/Unders at Tipico:
- Your wager will end as a “push," where your money is refunded, if the final result lands on the total. For example, if the Eagles win 24-21 in a game with a 45-point total, that is a push.
- Your player needs to suit up (even if it’s for one snap) for your prop to stand.
- The final frame of a game (like the fourth quarter) does not include overtime in that specific total. Full game Over/Unders do include overtime.
- Props require your player to participate in the game, even if it’s for only one snap or minute.
- MLB games must go at least 8.5 innings for the wager to stand.
Types of Tipico Totals
You’ll have a number of different totals at Tipico, including the following:
This refers to the combined score of both teams in a full game. For example, if you take the Over 44 points in the Colts-Jaguars game, you need 45 or more.
This is a bet where you target one team. For example, if I take the New York Rangers Under 3.5 goals, I need them to score three or fewer.
This is a type of total where you focus on one portion of the game. For example, if you take the Under 10.5 points in the first quarter, you need 10 or fewer.
You can bet on player stats with Over/Unders, such as Garrett Wilson Over 55.5 Receiving Yards.
There are also totals that can be settled at the end of the season, such as New York Jets Over 5.5 Wins.
Tipico NFL Totals
You’re able to wager on game, team, quarters, halves, player, and futures totals in the NFL. There are also live betting options, where you can place an in-game wager with the number updating in real time.
The best way to target totals in the NFL is to focus on the full game. It’s pretty random to determine when the points will occur, so focus on all four quarters.
You can also find value on live betting. For example, if a total of 55 points is 0-0 after one quarter, you can get it at a much better number, such as 45.5.
The other option is to target player totals, where you focus on a specific stat. You can look at how much the player is used within the offense to help guide you in your choice.
The best way to approach the Super Bowl is to target several totals. Since it’s the only game available, you want to try to find more action. As usual, prioritize the full game total, but this is a case where I’d also add quarters and halves.
We often see teams get off to a slow start offensively as they try to feel out their opponent in the early stages of the big game. This makes it a good idea to go with the first half Under.
You also want to look at player totals here because they’re easier to project.
Over/Under Bet Strategies
These are some key strategies to consider when placing an Over/Under bet:
- Check out each team has performed in recent games.
- Consider their style of play — faster-paced teams will score points at a higher rate.
- Think about the home/away splits.
- Check the weather to ensure that there aren’t any impactful conditions.
- Try to find if there are any mismatches in the head-to-head matchup.
Over/Under Betting for Beginners
Beginners to betting on totals, should consider these factors:
- Shop around different betting sites to find the best line.
- Keep track of your wins and losses to see how you’re doing.
- Emphasize straight bets over parlays because they’re easier to win.
- Focus on full game totals.
- Take advantage of any promos that can help you win.
- Never risk too much money on a single play.
How to Calculate Over/Under Odds
Tipico displays odds in American format. This is shown as a positive or negative number. While they’ll automatically calculate the odds for you, it’s still good to know how to do it yourself.
Here are a few examples:
Example 1: risk $100 on Jonathan Taylor Over 101.5 Total Yards at -120 odds
- Divide 120 / 100 = 1.2
- Divide 100 / 1.2 = $83.33
- You win $83.33 on a $100 wager
Example 2: to win $100 on Chargers/Chiefs Over 51.5 at -110 odds
- Divide 110 / 100 = 1.1
- Multiply 1.1 x 100 = $110
- Stake $110 to win $100
Example 3: risk $100 on Dodgers Over 5.5 Runs at +105 odds
- Divide 105 / 100 = 1.05
- Multiply 1.05 x 100 = $105
- Risk $100 to win $105
Why Are Over/Unders a Good Bet?
Over/Unders can be a good bet for these reasons:
- You won’t have to worry about paying expensive prices, as the odds are usually reasonable.
- It’s easy to understand — simply bet Over or Under.
- There are numerous variations of this bet type.
- It provides an alternative option to picking a winner.
Can Over/Unders Be a Bad Bet?
Here are some cons with betting Over/Unders:
- Sometimes the final score can be random. High-scoring teams may struggle. There are outliers that can result in bad beats.
- The weather can have an impact on the game.
- You won’t get high payouts for totals.
- Too many totals parlays can drain your bankroll.
What Sports Are Available for Over/Unders?
Here are some sports available for Over/Unders:
Is There Bet Insurance on Over/Unders?
Bet Insurance, also known as a “risk-free bet" is where your initial wager as a new user is matched up to a certain number if it loses.
This often between $100 to $1,500. It’s an appealing signup bonus because it removes some of the financial risk involved with sports betting.
You’re able to use Over/Unders here, as long as they fulfill the minimum odds requirements (-200).