Quebec residents were able to finally place single-game bets once it was legalized in August 2021. Prior to that, they could only bet on parlays through Loto-Quebec in a platform called Mise-o-Jeu. Bettors would have to go to the assigned retail locations to place these wagers. Now, they can place straight bets and parlays both online and in-person.
Quebec has the second-highest population in Canada with approximately 8.5 million residents, behind only Ontario. This makes Quebec the next-best betting market in the country.
The city of Montreal, Quebec is home to about 1.8 million people, making it the second-largest market in the country. Casino de Montreal is the largest in the country and one of the biggest in the world. It would act as a prime location for future private operators that could establish a foothold in the province in the foreseeable future.
Can I Bet on Sports in Quebec?
You are able to bet on sports in Quebec through Mise-o-Jeu. You can place straight bets and parlays, both online or in-person at one of the assigned retail locations.
Do I Have to be a Resident of Quebec to Bet Online?
You don’t need to be a Quebec resident in order to bet online, but you do need to reside within the province while placing your wager. Betting sites use geofencing technologies to track the location of each bettor, ensuring that they are within Quebec at the time of their bet.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in Quebec?
The legal betting age in Quebec is 18 years or older.
Quebec Sports Betting Sites
Once private operators make their way to Quebec, we can project the following betting sites to set up shop in one of the largest markets in Canada.
DraftKings Sportsbook Quebec
DraftKings Sportsbook has long been one of the leaders in the daily fantasy sports (DFS) industry and has evolved into a popular betting site in the United States, becoming one of the first to open in new markets.
The site provides bettors with multiple betting markets, including a robust selection of player props and futures bets. Quebec residents will be familiar with the platform because DFS is legal in the province.
You’ll also find a user-friendly experience with the DraftKings mobile app, making it efficient to place bets while on the go. DraftKings is a reputable brand that is partnered with Michael Jordan as well as ESPN and the NFL.
FanDuel Sportsbook Quebec
FanDuel Online Sportsbook has been a pioneer in the daily fantasy sports (DFS) space since 2009, eventually expanding into a leader in sports betting as one of the most popular sites in the United States.
The sportsbook provides you with everything you need as a sports bettor. From a diverse selection of bet types to useful promotions and a sleek interface, FanDuel has you covered. This is a site that developed Same Game Parlays, allowing users to combine several bet types from the same game for higher payouts.
The company has hired Dale Hooper, the former executive of Rogers Communications, as the general manager of their operations in Canada. This is a good sign that we’ll see the sportsbook open up in Quebec once the floodgates open.
Caesars Sportsbook Quebec
Caesars Sportsbook was already a major player in the casino resort industry, but they became a giant in sports betting as well following the purchase of reputable betting site William Hill in August 2021.
The sportsbook provides users with some of the most generous welcome bonuses in the space. There are also weekly promotions to help bettors get more value on their wagers. You can also feel at ease when depositing and withdrawing funds through multiple platforms from an established brand like Caesars.
The company is a member of the Canadian Gaming Association, as they have a casino located in Windsor, Ontario. We could see them continue to expand across Canada, targeting Quebec as the next market.
BetMGM Sportsbook Quebec
BetMGM Sportsbook was formed out of a partnership between MGM Resorts and Entain Holdings. The betting site is now one of the most popular sportsbooks in the United States, headlining several casinos across the country.
The site provides an organized layout that makes betting an easier process. There is also a detailed live-betting platform with live-streaming available for selected events. This is a great perk because it allows you to follow along with your bet in real-time.
The company has made Canadian hockey legend Wayne Gretzky its brand ambassador, indicating that they are serious about expanding operations across Canada. It’s likely that BetMGM will become operational in Quebec once the province opens up for private sportsbooks.
Betway Sportsbook Quebec
Betway Sportsbook launched in the United Kingdom in 2006, becoming one of the most trusted operators across Europe. They expanded to the United States in 2021, continuing to establish a foothold in several states across the nation.
The site is easily accessible with an assortment of betting markets, including a robust selection of odds boosts. These are known as “Betway Boosts," adding value to your bets by boosting odds. The sheer amount per day helps set Betway apart from the competition.
The sportsbook features an expansive live-betting section, which is a great bet type to find value on your wagers in real-time. Quebec users are already allowed to register for an account with Betway, so we’ll likely see the sportsbook set up shop in the province through partnerships once allowed.
Bet365 Sportsbook Quebec
Bet365 Sportsbook is one of the largest betting sites in the world, providing users with a tremendous selection of betting markets. The sportsbook entered the U.S. market in 2019 and continues to expand across the country.
The site is renowned for its terrific live-betting platform, which allows users to partake in several bet types, including player props. This is an option that isn’t usually offered by other sportsbooks, so it’s a great perk provided by Bet365.
Bet365 is already allowed for Quebec users since it is based out of the United Kingdom. Perhaps we could see the sportsbook take more of a foothold within the province once private operators are allowed to set up shop on Quebec soil.
PointsBet Sportsbook Quebec
PointsBet Sportsbook was created in Australia but has emerged as one of the most popular sportsbooks in the United States. They have several notable partners, like the Chicago Bears, PGA Tour, and NBC.
What differentiates PointsBet from its competitors is its innovative bet type, known as “Points Betting." This allows bettors to win more if their team/player has a larger winning margin and vice versa if they lose. Its boom-or-bust nature is enticing because it could lead to some nice payouts.
The site has been named as the official betting partner of Curling Canada. This is big news becomes it demonstrates how PointsBet is interested in expanding north of the border. We can project Quebec to be next in line after Ontario.
theScore Bet Quebec
theScore Bet Sportsbook started out as one of the major players in Canadian sports media before being bought out by Rogers Communications for $167 million in 2012, merging with Rogers Sportsnet. The company then focused on its mobile app ScoreMobile, which was extremely popular for its sleek interface, providing box scores, news, and analysis.
They have moved into the sports betting space with the development of theScore Bet in 2018, expanding across several U.S. States. The site provides a user-friendly experience with options for Same Game Parlays.
Since the company is based out of Toronto, they have a chance to become one of the leading operators in Canadian sports betting due to its reputable name within the country. We are likely to see them move towards Quebec once it opens up to private operators.
Why Should I Join a Quebec Betting Site?
You should join a Quebec betting site because they provide several benefits for you as a sports bettor. You’ll find an overview of these perks below.
- Fair Odds: Sports bettors will enjoy fair odds that match the rest of the betting market. You won’t have to worry about paying inflated moneylines, which you’ll often find at offshore sportsbooks. Sports betting is already challenging as it is, so you’ll want fair odds.
- Welcome Bonuses and Promotions: Online sportsbooks provide useful welcome bonuses and promotions. You can take advantage of first-deposit matches (your first deposit is matched up to a maximum), no-deposit bonuses (new users get free bets without having to deposit funds), and risk-free bets (first bet is refunded up to a maximum if it loses). Promotions are also available, like odds boosts, which add value to your bet. These can be general or catered to a specific sport.
- Safe and Secure: Legal sites are safe and secure because they are regulated in compliance with federal and provincial laws. You’ll feel at ease depositing and withdrawing funds into your account. You also won’t have to worry about slow processing times. There are several payment options available.
- Customer Service: Customer service is helpful, available on multiple platforms like email, live chats, and social media. The live chat is great because you’ll have access to customer service agents on a 24/7 basis, so any potential issues are easily resolved.
- Multiple Betting Sites: It’s important to join multiple betting sites because you can take advantage of their welcome offers and promotions. You won’t need to be concerned about safety since they’re regulated, so this is an easy process. All you need to do is click one of our links and input your personal information. This is another perk with legal sportsbooks.
Why to Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
Offshore sportsbooks need to be avoided at all costs. You’ll find a detailed explanation as to why you should steer clear of these sites below.
- Lack of Security: Offshore sportsbooks are unregulated entities based out of the Caribbean. They’re also technically illegal, so the site will mask its identity when paying out your withdrawal. Users also don’t need to verify their identities, which makes this a shady operation.
- Limited Payment Options: You’ll be limited in your payment options for deposits and withdrawals at offshore sites. They often push cryptocurrencies to help hide their identity. Processing times can take longer and payments will show up under different names on your bank statement. Payment is a sketchy ordeal, making it inconvenient and unreliable.
- Inconsistent Betting Lines: The odds are often out of whack compared with the rest of the market. You’ll often see inflated moneylines on certain games. For example, instead of a standard -110 price on a point spread bet, you might see -120 at an offshore site. These price disparities matter in the long run, as they affect your bankroll.
- Inadequate Customer Support: Customer support is unreliable and limited in availability. You won’t find as many platforms as you would on a legal site, making it difficult to resolve any potential issues. This is especially stressful if you’re having challenges with withdrawing funds since customer support isn’t as accessible.
- Limited Promotions: There are few promotions on offshore sportsbooks. The rewards are not as valuable as the ones offered by legal sites throughout the industry. You won’t find as many useful welcome bonuses or odds boosts at these sites.
How Do I Join Quebec Sports Betting Sites?
It’s easy to join a sportsbook in Quebec, just follow the steps outlined below.
- Select your preferred betting site and click one of our “Get Bonus" or “Claim Now" links. You can also input our promo code to access the welcome bonus.
- Type in your personal information, including name, address, and email.
- You’ll need to upload photo identification, such as a driver’s license, to have your account verified.
- If you got to the site without our links, be sure to type in one of our promo codes to unlock the bonus.
- You’ll receive a confirmation email for your records.
- You’re now ready to fund your account and start betting.
How to Fund My Quebec Sportsbook Account
Funding your betting account is an easy process, whether you want to deposit or withdraw. You’ll find the process outlined below.
Whether you’re a newcomer to sports betting or a seasoned veteran, depositing funds is a simple process.
- Choose “Deposit" or “Add Funds," usually found in the top-right corner of the page
- Select the payment method that you’d like to use
- Type in the amount that you want to deposit
- If you’re depositing with an eWallet like PayPal, you’ll be prompted to enter your username and password
- Check your email for confirmation
- You’ll see your deposit instantly reflected in your balance. If your site has a first-deposit match as a welcome bonus, that will appear as bet credits
Withdrawing your winnings is another straightforward process. You’ll find the steps below.
- Choose “Withdraw Funds" and select your preferred withdrawal method
- Type in your withdrawal
- Input user information if you’re using an eWallet
- You’ll see that your account balance will instantly reflect the withdrawal
- Put in your user information if using an eWallet like PayPal
- Check for a confirmation email
- You will receive your withdrawal within 72 hours
Quebec Sports Betting Payment Options
There are multiple payment options available at online sportsbooks. This helps make this a convenient process, whether you’re looking to deposit or withdraw.
Here is a list of deposit options:
- Credit/Debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover)
- InstaDebit: Link your bank account and transfer funds
- Play+ Cards: Reloadable cards to use online or in-person
- PayPal: eWallet that can be linked to debit or credit card
- Skrill: eWallet for online payments
- PayNearMe: Online payment processor
- ACH/eCheck: Wire transfer from your bank account
While there aren’t as many withdrawal choices as deposits, there are still enough to make this an easy process.
- Play+ Cards
- ACH/eCheck: Receive a transfer to your bank account
- Check: You can receive a check via mail
- CashAt Casino Cage
How to Download a Betting App
Mobile apps are highly useful because they optimize the betting process through their user-friendly experience. The steps for downloading apps are outlined below. Be sure to claim the bonus offer on the computer or in your phone browser before downloading a mobile app in order to secure the top offer.
- Access the Apple Store
- Select your betting app
- If you don’t see it at the store, you can download it from the actual betting site
- Choose “Download"
- Type in your account information and you’re ready to bet
- Go to Google Play
- Type in your betting app
- If it’s unavailable, go to the sportsbook site to download the app
- Select “Download”
- Login to your account and place your wagers
What Sports Can I Bet on in Quebec?
Quebec residents will have access to every sport available at betting sites, such as:
- Horse Racing
- Auto Racing
- Aussie Rules Football
- Motor Sports
- Table Tennis
Quebec Betting Restrictions
Quebec bettors used to only be allowed to place parlays through Loto Quebec’s Mise-o-Jeu platform, but since single game wagers are now legalized, there are no longer any restrictions.
Local Sports Teams to Bet On
There are a few sports teams in Quebec to choose from, both at the professional and minor league levels. The Canadian Football League (CFL) is popular in the province. There is also junior hockey, with the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL).
You’ll find a list of teams below.
- Montreal Canadiens (NHL)
- CF Montreal (MLS)
- Montreal Alouettes (CFL)
- Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL)
- Blainville-Boisbriand Armada (QMJHL)
- Chicoutimi Sagueneens (QMJHL)
- Gatineau Olympiques (QMJHL)
- Quebec Remparts (QMJHL)
- Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
- Rouyn-Noranda Huskies (QMJHL)
- Shawinigan Cataractes (QMJHL)
- Sherbrooke Phoenix (QMJHL)
- Val-d’Or Foreurs (QMJHL)
- Victoriaville Tigres (QMJHL)
Bet Types Available
When you’re ready to place a bet in Quebec, it’s important to understand key bet types. You’ll find a description below:
- Moneyline: Each team is assigned a moneyline based on implied probability. The favorite is minus odds, meaning you stake more than your payout. The underdog is plus odds, which means that your payout exceeds your bet. Your chosen team needs to win the game, regardless of the winning margin.
- Point Spread: These are the assigned winning margin. The favorite has a minus point spread, which means that they need to win by more than the winning margin for your bet to hit. The underdog has a plus point spread, so they can either win outright or lose by less than the point spread.
- Totals: This is the combined points for either one or both teams. Bettors select Over or Under the assigned total. You can bet totals on quarters, halves, periods, or the entire game. You can also bet on the team total, which is how many points one of the teams will score.
- Props: Bettors select Over or Under on game or player-based outcomes. For example, you can bet on Cole Caufield to put up Over 2.5 shots on goal in an NHL game. A team prop could be for the Montreal Canadiens to win the Stanley Cup.
- Live Betting: These are bets that can be placed while the game has started. You can choose various bet types, such as moneylines, totals, and point spreads. The odds are updated throughout the game to reflect what has happened at that point in time. You can place your bet during stoppages in play.
- Futures: Futures are settled at the end of the season. You can pick the Over on a team’s season wins or select them to win their division. There are also player futures like taking Nick Suzuki to win the Hart Trophy, which is awarded to the NHL MVP.
- Parlays: Parlays are combinations of two or more bets of varying bet types. They offer higher payouts at lower stakes but they’re harder to win because you need each wager to hit. Your payout will vary, depending on the odds in each bet as well as the number of selections within your parlay.
Quebec Sportsbook List
Quebec doesn’t have any physical sportsbooks at the moment, but they have four casinos that can act as potential venues in the future. Here is the list:
- Casino de Montreal (Montreal, QC)
- Casino du Lac-Leamy (Gatineau, QC)
- Casino de Mont-Tremblant (Mont-Tremblant, QC)
- Casino de Charlevoix (La Malbaie, QC)
Can I Play at Online Casinos in Quebec?
Online casinos are available through a website provided by Loto-Quebec, which features over 200 games, such as live slots and table games.
We can project more online casinos to become available once private operators are enabled to set up shop in the province.
When Did Quebec Sports Betting Become Legal?
Quebec bettors were only permitted to place parlay bets through Loto-Quebec with a platform called Mise-o-Jeu, but that changed once single-game wagers were legalized in August 2021.
For now, Quebec residents can continue to bet through Mise-o-Jeu, both online and in-person, but we’re likely to see private operators enter the fray sometime in the future,
Check out a timeline of sports betting events in Quebec below.
Quebec Sports Betting Timeline
August 27, 2021: Single Game Wagers Legalized
Bettors can place single bets on Loto-Quebec’s Mise-o-Jeu, whether online or in-person. The fact that the provincial government allowed this on the first day bodes well for the future of sports betting in Quebec.
June 22, 2021: C-218 is Passed
Bill C-218 is passed, paving the way for single-game betting in Canada. Each province is left to their own devices on whether they want to adopt the law immediately or in the future.
July 2020: Expansion of Mise-o-Jeu
Loto-Quebec adds cash-out options and live-betting to Mise-o-Jeu online.
February 2020: Bill C-218
Bill C-218, which proposes the legalization of single-game bets, is introduced.
Loto-Quebec introduces Mise-o-Jeu, providing a platform for Quebec bettors to place parlays.