Week 8 Betting Trends
1. The Over has hit in five straight games for the Saints.During the 2019 season, the New Orleans Saints had one of the better defenses in the NFL. While they allowed just more than 21 points per game, they held a few excellent offenses under 20 points, including the Dallas Cowboys, Tampa Bay Buccaneers and Atlanta Falcons.
[esi cache="public" adrotate group="1" ttl="60"]But their defense has declined in a big way this season, giving up 29 points per game. While the team didn’t lose much to that unit this offseason, they just haven’t played well in the first six games of the 2020 season. In turn, this is a team playing in a bunch of high-scoring games, and sportsbooks haven’t entirely caught up to just how bad their defense is this year. The Over has now hit in five straight games for the Saints, and even despite their injuries on offense, they are still No. 7 in the league in scoring offense. Until the defense improves dramatically, consider taking the Over whenever the Saints are on the field.
2. The Ravens have won 17 of their last 19 games.The Pittsburgh Steelers are getting a ton of praise right now for being the league’s best team. They are the only undefeated team left in the NFL, and they currently sit atop of the AFC North. In Week 8, the Steelers will have another big test as they will face the Ravens in Baltimore. After losing in the second round of the playoffs last season and being blown out by the Chiefs this year, the Ravens’ hype has cooled off. However, it’s important to remember this is still one of the best teams in the NFL.
- Fantasy Football Waiver Wire: Read about the top Week 8 player pickups.
3. The Rams are 10-4 against the spread in their previous 14 road games.One team that isn’t generating a ton of buzz right now despite their 5-2 record is the Los Angeles Rams. In Week 7, they beat a good Chicago team by two touchdowns and yet, there still isn’t a lot of hype surrounding a Sean McVay team that just made it to the Super Bowl in 2018. One of the reasons this team should be considered among the leagues best is their ability to play well away from home. In their last 14 road games, they covered the spread 10 times. While those games haven’t always resulted in wins, they can more than hold their own when they are on the road. The Rams are road favorites this week against a sneaky-good Dolphins’ team. But this Los Angeles team has proven repeatedly that it can take care of business on the road. Look for the Rams to win and cover again this week in Miami.
4. The Chiefs are 14-2 ATS in their last 16 games.We all know how good this Kansas City team is, and the 2020 version is no different. Despite their strange loss to the Las Vegas Raiders in Week 5, the Chiefs still might be the best team in the NFL. Outside of their stellar record as of late (15-1 in their last 16 games), the Chiefs are the league’s best team against the spread. In their previous 16 games, they have failed to cover the spread only twice. Those games were against the Raiders in Week 5 and against the Chargers in Week 2.
[esi sportsbookgrid num=3 ttl=”0″]This Kansas City team typically destroys its competition, and it feels like they have another few levels they can hit as a team. Don’t be surprised if they start to hit on all cylinders in the next few weeks, beginning with the New York Jets in Week 8.