Governor Larry Hogan signed HB940 into law on May 18, 2021. HB940 has seen several tweaks to it including the expansion of licenses.
This all began after a November voting referendum that authorized sports and events betting. In the process, daily fantasy sports contests were legalized. Now, online sports betting has officially launched in Maryland.
Legal in-person sports betting opened in Maryland in December 2021, with the governor placing the first in-person wager at MGM National Harbor. The online sports-betting rollout dragged a bit, although it’s great that it has become operational before the end of the 2022 NFL season.
The wheels had been in motion for some time as BetMGM has a partnership with the Baltimore Ravens as the team’s official gaming partner. They are affiliated with MGM National Harbor, a state-of-the-art two-level casino on the Potomac River. PointsBet also has an OTB partnership set up with Riverboat on the Potomac. That is one of four licensed OTB’s in the state.
As of November 2022, DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, Caesars, and PointsBet are available within the state.
Here’s what you need to know about sports betting in Maryland.
Can I Bet on Sports in Maryland?
Yes, Maryland began offering legal sports betting in 2021 at its various brick-and-mortar sportsbooks and became operational online as of November 2022.
Do I Have to be a Resident of MD to Bet Online?
No, however, one would have to be physically located within the state of Maryland in order to place an online sports or event wager. It does not matter where you reside.
What Is The Legal Betting Age in MD?
The legal betting age in Maryland is 21 for casinos but is currently 18 for bingo, lottery games, and sports betting. If one can vote, one can place a bet on a sporting event.
Why Should I Join a Maryland Betting Site?
A legal state betting site in Maryland will help you avoid any potential mess with illegal sportsbooks or local bookies. Those in Maryland will not have to worry about the Washington D.C. lottery betting system, which isn’t currently optimal, nor will they have to travel to Virginia.
Here are some reasons why you should join a Maryland betting site:
- It is legal.
- Bonuses and promotions are plentiful and regulated.
- Responsible limits can be set.
- Winnings will be paid out.
- The odds are more consistent.
- Companies can be trusted and must yield to state regulations.
- More responsible gaming.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Virtually no federal, state, or local regulation in place.
- It is not safe as winnings do not necessarily wind up in one’s pockets.
- Lack of banking options.
- No online sports betting apps.
- Fewer betting options.
- League data can be unreliable.
- Suspicious looking bonuses.
Maryland Sports Betting Sites
These are the current online sports betting sites available in Maryland:
DraftKings Sportsbook has partnered with the Baltimore Ravens, bringing a user-friendly platform to Maryland bettors. You’ll enjoy a number of betting markets, including a robust selection of props, which includes futures wagers that aren’t often available on other sites.
DraftKings is the most widely available online sportsbook in the nation, operating in more than a dozen states plus Washington, D.C. It is always among the first to go live when online sports betting is legalized.
FanDuel Sportsbook already operates a sportsbook at the Live! Casino and Hotel in Baltimore, which expects to command a huge market share.
This is currently the No. 1 online sportsbook in America, which makes it a huge asset for Marylanders interested in betting on sports. It’s presently the only sportsbook to offer Venmo as a withdraw and deposit option, plus is constantly revolutionizing the sports-betting landscape with its innovation.
The platform is highly accessible, featuring several useful promotions to enhance your betting odds.
BetMGM Sportsbook is a giant in the industry, featuring a physical location in Maryland at MGM National Harbor. BetMGM, much like DraftKings, is always among the first to open when online sports betting becomes legal in a new state, and BetMGM almost universally has a terrific new-signup offer for sports bettors ahead of a new state launch.
This is one of my favorite online sportsbooks, with a terrific user interface and great odds. Plus, bettors can earn MGM Rewards, which they can redeem for hotel and dining credits at properties like MGM National Harbor.
Caesars Sportsbook already has a presence in Maryland after the unveiling of its race- and sportsbook that operates inside the Horseshoe Casino in Baltimore.
It is a great option for online sports bettors too because it has excellent odds and boosts and has taken off thanks to its purchase of the widely popular William Hill sportsbook in 2021.
This is an operator that routinely has among the most generous welcome bonuses in the iGaming space, so be sure to take advantage by signing up today.
PointsBet Sportsbook is one of the few sportsbooks that doesn’t have a physical presence in Maryland yet, although it does operate a brick-and-mortar sportsbook at Riverboat on the Potomac that is a short paddleboat ride from the Maryland mainland.
Still, PointsBet, thanks to its partnership with NBC Sports — which operates a regional sports network in Washington, D.C. — will have a marquee presence in the Old Line State.
Bettors will be privy to its unique PointsBetting feature that punishes gamblers for being wrong and rewards them for being extra right. They also can use PointsBet for standard sports betting, which it also offers to online bettors in multiple states, including Pennsylvania and Virginia.
You won’t want to miss out on this innovative platform.
How Do I Join MD Sports Betting Sites?
The process for joining a sports betting site in Maryland is pretty straightforward. These are some of the ways one can go about it as listed below:
- Choose the sportsbook you want to join and click on one of our “Get Bonus” or “Claim Now” buttons to activate the welcome bonus.
- However you got there, Fill out the registration (things like name, address, email, upload photo ID, etc.).
- If you found the site on your own, this is where you can plug in one of our promo codes to make sure you receive your bonus.
- Agree to all terms of service and hit submit, which completes the process and triggers your bonus.
- You will receive an email confirmation for your records.
- Click ‘Deposit’ and choose a banking method.
- Deposit into your new account. If receiving a deposit match bonus, both your money and the bonus will appear in your account.
- Begin placing wagers.
How To Fund My Account
It is a rather easy process to deposit or withdraw money from one’s betting account. Here is the process for both as seen below:
Whether you are a first-time customer or veteran of many sports betting sites, depositing options are simple and several exist to make life easier. Here is how to proceed:
- Click Deposit or Add Funds.
- Choose a banking method - have routing number, account number, and accurate bank name handy.
- Enter the amount you want to deposit (most sites have a $10 minimum).
- If using PayPal, enter your password to confirm the process.
- The site will verify the process is complete and will be reflected in your deposit. Typically this is instant.
- Finally, check your email for further confirmation from the sportsbook.
Several options exist in order for a bettor to withdraw funds from their sports betting account. Here is how to proceed.
- Find the withdrawal option on the sportsbook app or site.
- Choose a method of withdrawal.
- Enter the amount you want to take out (again usually a $10 minimum but can be more).
- If using PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction.
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation.
There is always a myriad of options whether a bettor is looking to deposit or withdraw funds. Some will surprise those wagerers as well. What can be forgotten is just how easy some of these methods really are. Here below are some deposit and withdrawal choices.
There are quite a few ways to add funds to one’s account. Here are some of the many ways a person can go about doing so:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
- Physical cash deposit at cages (physical sportsbooks)
Many withdrawal options exist for the bettor out there but fewer do exist than how one goes about depositing funds. Keep in mind withdrawing funds takes longer than depositing funds. Here are a few below:
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
- Cash At Casino Cage
How to Download a Maryland Betting App
The steps for downloading an app via iOS and Android are not as difficult as they used to be. There are more options and ways to search on safari, Chrome, etc. Here is how to download and install an app on one’s iPhone or Android.
- From the Home screen, tap App Store.
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap the sportsbook you want to download.
- Tap GET then tap INSTALL.
- If prompted, sign in to the App Store to complete the install.
- Open Google Play. On your phone, use the Play Store app.
- Find the sportsbook you want to download.
- When you pick an app, tap Install and wait for the app to download.
What Sports Can I Bet on in MD?
You’ll be able to wager on the usual suspects of sports in Maryland. Sports bettors will get the choice to wager on pro and college football, pro and college basketball, MLB, and NHL. Maryland will have all the sporting options that FanDuel, DraftKings, BetMGM, etc. have to offer. Besides the major sports, one can wager on:
- Australian Rules
- College Basketball
- College Football
- Motor Racing
There will be no in-state restrictions on Maryland college sports, however, you are unable to place bets on high school games, which is the standard across the country.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the state of Maryland:
- Baltimore Ravens
- Washington Wizards
- Washington Capitals
- Baltimore Orioles
- Maryland Terrapins (NCAA)
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: The moneyline is simply set as the odds a team simply wins. There is no margin or point spread involved.
- Point Spread: Point spread betting has odds based on a team being favored by a certain amount of points and assigned values. Vegas sets the spreads off a variety of factors.
- Totals: Totals can involve over/under betting and much more. That can feature team and game totals as well.
- Props: Props can involve game and player props. There are so many scoring props in the major sports from points and a variety of statistics. It is worth exploring on betting sites.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows a bettor to wager on an event as it is happening. Odds will likely be a good bit different as it is all about timing one’s bet in an attempt to win. It’s like regular betting but from the particular point of said bet.
- Futures: Futures are often events that will happen at some point but not yet. These can be bet on like anything else. Examples include the winner of sports championships like the World Series, Super Bowl, Stanley Cup, etc. Futures can involve awards as well.
- Parlays: Parlays are where a bettor can string along multiple bets. One can bet on anything from two events to 10+. Odds multiply with more legs on a parlay bet. The risk increases also along with the money-making potential. Chances of winning decrease.
- PointsBetting (exclusive to PointsBet): Your winnings or losses from a bet are not determined until the very end of a game. If your bet wins by one point (or unit), you would win 1x your bet amount (stake). If your bet wins by 2 units, you win 2x stake, and so on. Conversely, if you lose by 1 unit, you would lose 1x stake and so on.
Maryland Sportsbook List
The following physical sportsbooks will be in Maryland:
- M&T Bank Stadium (Baltimore Ravens)
- FedEx Field (Washington Football Team)
- Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore Orioles)
- Pimlico Racetrack
- Laurel Park Racetrack
- Maryland State Fairgrounds
- Timonium OTB
- Rocky Gap Casino Resort
- MGM National Harbor
- Horseshoe Casino Baltimore
- Hollywood Casino Perryville
- Live! Casino & Hotel Maryland
- Ocean Downs Casino
Can I Play at Online Casinos in MD?
No, currently, there is no online casinos gambling in Maryland, but we can project that to change in the foreseeable future.
When Did Maryland Sports Betting Become Legal?
Maryland online sports betting launched in November 2022. HB940 paved the way for online sports betting and was signed into law on May 18th, 2021.
MD Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018 - After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- November 4, 2020 - Sports betting in Maryland takes a huge step forward after voters approve Maryland Question Number 2 during the election. The referendum asked voters to approve or deny the expansion of commercial gaming to “authorize sports and events betting.” It passes by a 2 to 1 margin.
- February 2, 2021 - HB940, a bill to legalize sports betting, receives its first reading in front of the House Ways and Means Committee. The bill, which was expected after voters authorized sports betting in the November 2020 election. Also, fantasy daily sports became instantly legalized.
- March 10, 2021 - HB940 passes the Maryland House by a vote of 130-9. The bill’s main amendments addressed concerns that local businesses were not involved or given enough opportunities to do so. Thus, the passed version of the bill contains provisions that increased the potential licenses from just 23 up to 37.
- April 12, 2021 - HB940 passes unanimously in the upper chamber, and its amended version moves through the House by a vote of 122-16. The bill then heads to Gov. Larry Hogan for his consideration and signature. The final version of this proposed law authorizes up to 60 mobile licenses, more than any other state. A previous version in March had just 37 mobile licenses.
- May 18, 2021 - Sports betting becomes legal in Maryland after Gov. Larry Hogan affixes his signature to HB940. Lawmakers plan to get sports betting up and running by no later than September or October. The state’s primary goal is to get the first wager placed by no later than the start of the World Series. A best-case scenario involves the first dollars being bet by the start of the 2021 NFL season.
- May 19, 2021 - The NFL’s Baltimore Ravens announce that BetMGM is the team’s official gaming partner. The deal calls for the placement of signage and advertising for BetMGM at the Ravens’ M&T Stadium, as well as some other cross-promotional activities.
- June 10, 2021 - PointsBet Sportsbook secures access to the Maryland sports betting market via a partnership with the Riverboat on the Potomac, one of four licensed OTBs.
- December 9, 2021 - Maryland governor Larry Hogan opens the door for in-person sports gambling by placing the first in-person bet when he parlays the Washington Football Team as NFC champions and Baltimore Ravens as AFC champions, which would ensure an all-Maryland Super Bowl, at MGM National Harbor.
- November 23, 2022 - Online sports betting launches in Maryland.