Table of contents
As of June 22, 2021, sports betting has officially been legalized in Louisiana. While it is not yet operational, it is expected to launch on both online and retail platforms in September 2021. The September launch date was chosen to align with the start of the NFL season. You will be able to place a wager by this target date.
Do I Have to be a Resident of Louisiana to Bet Online?
When betting is operational in Louisiana, you won’t need to be a Louisiana resident, but you will need to be residing in the state of Louisiana at the time of your bet. This is because sportsbooks use geolocation to detect if you are in Louisiana at the time of your bet.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in Louisiana?
The legal betting age in Louisiana is 21 years old or over.
Why Should I Join a Louisiana Betting Site?
- Each sportsbook will be regulated and licensed by the Louisiana Gaming Control Board.
- Being able to bet online allows you to place a bet from wherever you please.
- Louisiana’s sportsbooks will provide fair, consistent and reliable betting markets.
- Each sportsboook will offer an abundance of welcome bonuses and promotions to help you get started.
- Issues will be handled effectively via various customer services options.
- Eliminates the need to rely on illegal offshore sportsbooks.
Why to Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Offshore sportsbooks are unregulated and not trustworthy, as they are held to lower standards of operation.
- Offshore sportsbooks cannot legally process financial transactions.
- Bettors could be asked to convert their money to cryptocurrency to get around the illegal process.
- Fewer payment methods available.
- Credit card companies will typically deny payments.
- Payments will be disguised on credit card statements.
- Customer service options aren’t as plentiful or reliable.
- Overall lack of promotions and bonuses compared to legal sportsbooks.
Louisiana Sports Betting Sites
We can reasonably project the following sportsbooks to be available in Louisiana once sports betting is fully operational within the state.
DraftKings is one of the more popular sportsbooks out there, and it’s likely to debut in Louisiana with the legalization of sports betting, as this has also allowed for daily fantasy sports operators to be available.
DraftKings allows users to use the same account for sports betting and daily fantasy sports — a feature that sets it apart from most other operators.
FanDuel betting site is another popular sportsbook that, like DraftKings, also provides daily fantasy. We can project it to be available in Louisiana.
BetMGM betting site is another leading name in betting and is currently available in 11 states and districts: Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington D.C.
As it continues to expand across the country, it can be expected to launch in Louisiana.
Caesars Sports is available in Nevada, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. They offer rewards that can be redeemed at Caesars hotels, restaurants, and bars.
Bally Bet is currently operating in two states. They provide rewards through the use of “trophies” for betting achievements.
William Hill has been operating since 1989, setting it apart as one of the most well-known names in the industry. Their mobile app is among the most user-friendly on the market.
WynnBET is available in six states: Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Tennessee and Virginia. In addition to sports betting options, WynnBET also has an online casino available in select states.
Like WynnBET, Unibet also features an online casino alongside sports betting options.
BetRivers betting site is now operating in eight states: Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Colorado, Virginia, and West Virginia.
This sportsbook features a robust rewards system and provides bettors with more expected value.
How Do I Join Louisiana Sports Betting Sites?
Once sports betting is legalized in Louisiana, you can follow the steps below to join one of the sports betting websites:
- Choose a sportsbook and click on one of our “Get Bonus” or “Claim Now” buttons to activate your welcome bonus
- Fill out the registration (includes name, email, address, photo ID, physical address, etc.)
- Plug in one of our promo codes to ensure you receive a bonus
- Agree to all terms of service and submit
- Check your email to ensure confirmation of your records
- Click “Deposit” and choose your desired banking method
- Deposit money into your new account and begin betting
How To Fund My Account
It’s an easy process to fund your account. You will be able to deposit or withdraw funds without ever worrying about delays or any other inconveniences.
Whether it’s your first deposit or you’re a long-time customer, depositing is an easy process:
- Click “Deposit” or “Add Funds”
- Choose your preferred banking method
- Enter the amount you want to deposit
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password
- The site will verify the process is complete and will be reflected in your deposit
- Check for a confirmation email from the sportsbook
The withdrawal process is quick and easy. You can find the steps below:
- Click “Withdraw” on the sportsbook desktop or mobile app
- Choose a method of withdrawal
- Enter the amount you want to take out
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation
Whether you are looking to deposit or withdraw funds, each sportsbook will provide several options. Deposits are made instantly, allowing you to place your wager as soon as possible.
Withdrawals are usually processed within 24-48 hours.
Some of the deposit options include:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
While there are fewer withdrawal options than with deposits, there are still enough options to make the process timely and efficient:
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
- Cash At Casino Cage
How to Download a Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap “Install” and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in Louisiana?
Sports bettors in Louisiana will be able to place a wager on any of the options provided by the eligible sportsbooks that are operational in the state. You won’t need to worry about missing a potential bet available in another state.
The list of options includes:
- Football (NFL, NCAAF)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAAB)
- Horse Racing
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
Louisiana Betting Restrictions
There are no current known betting restrictions that will be imposed on bettors in Louisiana. You will be able to place a wager on college sports in the state.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
NCAA Basketball and Football:
- LSU Tigers
- Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns
- Tulane Green Wave
- Louisiana-Monroe Warhawks
- New Orleans Privateers
- Southeastern Louisiana Lions
- McNeese State Cowboys
- Nicholls State Colonels
- Grambling State Tigers
- Louisiana Tech Bulldogs
- Southern Jaguars
- Northwestern State Demons
Major Professional Sports Teams
- New Orleans Pelicans (NBA)
- New Orleans Saints (NFL)
Bet Types Available
Each team in a game has a moneyline thatdetermines your risk and reward on a wager. For example, if the Dodgers are favored to defeat the Angels with a moneyline of (-140), you would risk $14.00 to win $10.00.
However, if you bet on the Angels in that same game at (+160), you would risk $10.00 to win $16.00. These bets only require your chosen team to win the game — the margin of victory or how the game was won does not matter.
Spread betting is another common type of bet across many sports. For example, in football, if the Packers are favored by -11.5 against the Lions, the Packers would need to win by 12 or more points for you to win your bet. If you chose the Lions at +11.5, you would win if the Lions lost by 11 or less or won outright.
Spread betting appears in baseball and hockey as well, but they’re referred to as run lines (MLB) and puck lines (NHL) instead.
In this case, if you bet on the White Sox at -2.5 over the Cubs, that means you need them to win by at least 3 runs. If you bet on the Orioles at +2.5, you win if the Cubs win outright or lose by 2 runs.
Each game is assigned a total of runs, goals, or points, depending on the sport. You need to bet on the over or under.
For example, if I bet the over on 52.5 points in a game between the Buccaneers and Cowboys, I would need the two teams to combine for 53 or more points to win my bet.
There are also team totals, where you can bet over or under on how much a team will score. If you’re more sure of how one team will perform than the other, this could be a smart route to take.
Prop bets allow you to bet on a specific player’s stats and have become more popular due to fantasy sports. For example, if I bet on over 29.5 points scored for Giannis Antetokounmpo, I would need him to score at least 30 points.
Most sportsbooks offer a diverse selection of prop bets on players from various sports.
Live betting is a great way to get in on the action after a game has already started. Live betting markets are updated in real-time based on the latest developments.
For example, let’s say the Heat are favored at (-180) to beat the Magic, but the Magic are in the lead after the first quarter. The lines would begin to shift in Orlando’s favor, and you could take the Heat — the better team — at a reduced price.
A futures bet is when you bet on a result that won’t be determined until after a certain period of time — typically the end of a season or the playoffs. You can bet on team futures like division winners, conference winners, champions, win totals and more.
You can also bet on player futures like season awards, total stats, and many others.
A parlay is when you combine multiple bets for a larger reward. You still need to win each of your bets in order to win your parlay, however.
For example, if I parlay Steelers (-110) with Ravens (+105) and Chiefs (-140), I need to hit on each of these bets to win the final parlay price. The upside of parlay betting is that you can make a much larger amount of money if you can string together multiple wins.
Louisiana Sportsbook List
We can expect that physical sportsbooks will be operational within the following Louisiana casinos:
- Amelia Belle Casino
- Belle of Baton Rouge
- Boomtown Casino & Hotel Bossier City
- Boomtown Casino New Orleans
- Coushatta Casino Resort
- Cypress Bayou Casino
- Delta Downs Racetrack & Casino
- Eldorado Resort Casino Shreveport
- Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino
- Fair Grounds Racecourse & Slots
- Golden Nugget Lake Charles
- Harrah’s Louisiana Downs
- Hollywood Casino Baton Rouge
- Horseshoe Bossier City Hotel & Casino
- Isle of Capri Casino Lake Charles
- Jena Choctaw Pines Casino
- L’Auberge Casino & Hotel Baton Rouge
- L’Auberge Casino Resort Lake Charles
- Margaritaville Resort Casino
- Paragon Casino Resort
- Sam’s Town Hotel & Casino Shreveport
- Treasure Chest Casino
Can I Play at Online Casinos in Louisiana?
Yes, you can play at online casinos in Louisiana.
When Did Louisiana Sports Betting Become Legal?
Louisiana is a state divided into 64 parishes, each with various types of government. Sports betting became legal in Louisiana on June 22, 2021, but the following parishes did not approve the sports betting referendum: Caldwell, Catahoula, Franklin, LaSalle, Sabine, West Carroll, and Winn.
This means that residents of those parishes will not be allowed to engage in sports betting. The parishes will also be unable to accumulate any of the state revenue from sports betting.
Louisiana Sports Betting Timeline
- June 22, 2021: Senate Bill 247 is approved by Governor John Bel Edwards, which legalizes sports betting in the state of Louisiana.
- June 9, 2021: Mike Noel, the chairman of the Louisiana Gaming Control Board, decides to resign. The board needs to elect a new leader before rules and regulations for sports betting can be finalized. This means that the launch of sports betting can potentially be delayed by this resignation.
- June 3, 2021: Senate Bill 247 wins the vote by a total of 78-15. It is approved by the House.
- May 26, 2021: House Bill 697, a bill that provides the framework for the tax rate and licensing fees, is sent to the Governor for approval.
- May 11, 2021: Senate Bill 247 is put through legislation and slated for a full vote in the Senate in early June.
- February 19, 2021: The Louisiana Gaming Control Board decides to accept applications for daily fantasy sports operator licenses.
- November 3, 2020: Voters in 55 of 64 Louisiana parishes approve sports betting.
- 2019: Senator Danny Martiny puts forth a bill with daily fantasy and sports betting language, but it ultimately does not get enough support.