The Netherlands dominated Christian Pulisic and the USMNT in the Round of 16 and now look ahead to Lionel Messi and Argentina in the Quarterfinals.
Head coach Louis van Gaal and his squad saved their best football of the World Cup for the knockout round, where they defeated the United States 3-1.
After failing to qualify in 2018, the Netherlands have played exceptionally well and could possibly advance to the Semifinals with the current form they’re showing. Denzel Dumfries showed up when his team needed him most, scoring or assisting on all three goals in the previous contest.
Argentina just squeezed by Australia, but find themselves in prime position to continue their World Cup run when they take on the Dutchmen on Friday, Dec. 9. The Lionel Scaloni-coached squad held over 60% possession while completing nearly 700 passes, but only managed a 2-1 victory over a weaker Australian side.
While Messi and co. are slightly favored in this match, La Albiceleste need to perform much better to defeat a surging Netherlands squad.
Netherlands vs Argentina Odds
- 3-Way Handicap: Netherlands (+250) | Draw (+220) | Argentina (+120)
- Draw No Bet: Netherlands (+135) | Argentina (-200)
- Over/Under Goals: Over 2.5 (+125) | Under 2.5 (-175)
- Both Teams to Score: Yes (+100) | No (-145)
- To Qualify: Netherlands (+125) | Argentina (-175)
Netherlands vs Argentina odds are current as of Dec. 7, at 8 a.m. on BetMGM Sportsbook
With both teams performing relatively similarly in this World Cup, it comes as no surprise that both squads have plus-money odds to produce a result in 90 minutes.
Right away, the Netherlands Draw No Bet odds look enticing based on their previous game, which they dominated from start to finish.
Sportsbook Play of the Day
Go Full Caesar this season and cash in on their excellent new user promotion.
New sign-ups can and use promo code GAMEDAYFULL to your first bet on Caesars up to $1,250, plus 1,000 Tier Credits and 1,000 Reward Credits.
You can read more about this welcome bonus in our Caesars Sportsbook review, or click "Get Bonus" below to activate the offer!
[toplist type="sport" state="" items="1" include="386"]
Netherlands vs Argentina Prediction
Netherlands 1-2 Argentina
Despite the Netherlands’ impressive run thus far, Argentina’s talent will pull through by the tightest of margins in the Quarterfinals.
The quest for Messi’s first World Cup, in his final international competition, will continue after a clash between two uber-competitive squads. This game should be one of the best of the tournament, with two teams that employ many world-class talents.
The Netherlands certainly has a chance to pull off the upset against La Albiceleste, especially after on the strong showing they had in their previous match. Even if the attack, led by Memphis Depay, falters in this match, the Dutch can always rely on a talented backline anchored by Virgil van Dijk.
This match could swing in favor of either team at any given moment, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it ended in a draw after 90 minutes.
Netherlands vs Argentina Betting Tips
- The Netherlands are averaging two goals per game and conceding just 0.5 in their four World Cup games.
- The Dutch have averaged 53% possession and 10 shots per match entering the Quarterfinals.
- Cody Gakpo leads all Dutch scorers with three goals, all scored during the Group Stage.
- Argentina have conceded just three goals in four games, with one being an own goal.
- La Albiceleste have completed the second-most passes of the tournament (2,479) and have averaged 66% possession.
- Messi scored the first knockout-round goal of his World Cup career against Australia, bringing his total to three in the tournament.
Netherlands vs Argentina Best Bets
Argentina Win & Both Teams to Score (+380) at BetMGM Sportsbook
WAGER: 1 Unit
With how strong both squads have been on the attack this tournament, I can see this play cashing fairly easily.
Knockout-round goals don’t typically come easy, but both squads have immense talent at the top of the pitch and should strike at least once as a result.