After a shocking 2-1 defeat at the hands of Saudi Arabia, Argentina have rebounded well with back-to-back 2-0 victories against Mexico and Poland to finish at the top of the Group C standings.
One of the biggest surprises of this tournament has been Australia. They were one of the last nations to qualify for the World Cup, and the odds were stacked against them to qualify out of the group.
They defeated Denmark 1-0 in their final group stage match, securing their spot in the Round of 16.
Let’s dive in on the odds and best bets for this showdown between Argentina and Australia.
Argentina vs Australia Odds
- 3-way handicap: Argentina (-510) | Draw (+525) | Australia (+1500)
- Draw No Bet: Argentina (-2500) | Australia (+1000)
- Over/Under Goals: Over 2.5 (-130) | Under 2.5 (+100)
- Both Teams to Score: Yes (+175) | No (-230)
Argentina vs Australia odds are current as of 9 a.m. EST on Friday, Dec. 2, at Caesars Sportsbook.
To no surprise, Argentina are overwhelming favorites in this contest. Saudi Arabia were bigger underdogs than Australia when they played Argentina when they pulled off the upset, so anything can happen in this match.
Sportsbook Play of the Day
New users to Caesars Sportsbook can get up to $1,000 in bonus bets with promo code GAMEDAY1000.
Sign up, make a deposit of $10+, and place your first wager. If your inital bet loses, you get your stake back, up to $1,000, in bonus bets!
Argentina vs Australia Prediction
Argentina 4-0 Australia
This should be a routine victory for Argentina against the Socceroos. When Australia faced an elite offense in France, they lost 4-1 and a similar result is expected here in this matchup.
Argentina dominated their match against Poland despite only winning by two goals as it could have been a lot more.
Lionel Messi missed a penalty against the Poles but is leading this dynamic Argentine attack into the Round of 16. Julián Álvarez got the start over Lautaro Martínez in the last match and that was a catalyst for the offense, as well.
Argentina vs Australia Betting Tips
- Argentina had 74% of the possession against Poland and registered a blistering 12 shots on target, and I expect a similar outing here against Australia. Against France, the Socceroos only had 37% of the possession and scored on their only shot on target.
- The Argentina attack is coming into form and they are finally showing the world why they are one of the favorites to win the World Cup this year. They are second behind only Brazil as the betting favorites to lift the cup in a couple of weeks.
- Expect a heavily dominated game from Argentina in this matchup with Australia finding it difficult to create any quality chances on goal.
Argentina vs Australia Best Bets
Argentina Team Total Over 2.5 Goals (+122) at Caesars Sportsbook
WAGER: 2 Units
I am very confident that Argentina will be able to score goals at will in this match. The Over 2.5 goals for the game is juiced to -130 and oddsmakers are expecting a clean sheet with the odds for both teams to not score juiced to -230.
The three goals will come from Argentina, so the value is great at +122 for them to score over 2.5 goals themselves