Colorado sports betting is legal, and the market is booming with more than a dozen regulated sportsbooks open for business. After voters approved a bill to legalize sports betting in November 2019, Colorado citizens began placing bets online on May 1, 2020. Colorado became the 19th state to legalize sports betting.
The Colorado bill linked the legalization of sports wagering with the funding of an important state environmental plan, and 10% of the revenue from sports betting taxes being goes toward operating costs for the Colorado Water Plan – a comprehensive strategy that seeks to manage water resources to meet the state’s industrial and recreational needs, while also protecting aquatic ecosystems.
Here’s what you need to know about sports betting in Colorado.
Can I Bet on Sports in Colorado?
Yes, online sports betting is permitted thanks to the gambling legislation passed in Colorado in 2019. Sports betting can be executed online via sportsbook apps for mobile devices or desktop sites.
Do I Have to be a Resident of Colorado to Bet Online?
No, you do not need to be a resident of Colorado to gamble on online sports in the state. You are, however, required to be inside the state borders when you place a wager. Geolocation verification software is used to detect your location and will screen out any players who are physically located outside the state.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in Colorado?
In order to bet on sports in Colorado, you must be at least 21 years old.
Why Should I Join a Colorado Betting Site?
Betting in Colorado is fun and easy to do. More importantly, it’s extremely safe and secure for bettors. Here are some more reasons why you should bet in Colorado:
- It’s legal and regulated so you don’t have to worry about any risk that comes with offshore sites
- Many sites offer welcome bonuses and promotions for joining
- Legal sites offer a number of safe payment options
- The betting lines are fair and more consistent
- Colorado’s sports betting bill is the least restrictive of any new legal state in the country.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Offshore sportsbooks are unregulated and technically illegal
- There are fewer, and less reliable, banking options
- You can’t trust that you’ll be paid and there is no recourse if so
- Fewer betting options available
- There are no betting apps available so it’s more inconvenient
Colorado Sports Betting Sites
Online sportsbooks were available to be used in Colorado on May 1, 2020. The initial launch included DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM and BetRivers. Since then, many more sportsbook apps have been launched. These apps can be downloaded on your phone, and you can bet on sports on the go.
Some of the top sportsbook apps that are available to Colorado players are:
DraftKings was the first sportsbook to open for business when sports betting became legal in Colorado. A wide range of American and international sports, and many different bet types, are available for bettors to wager on via its app. It is available for Android and iOS devices and has customizable features to allow users to personalize their app experience.
Caesars is one of the most recognizable names in gambling, and its fledgling sports gambling site is a byproduct of its purchase of popular sportsbook William Hill in 2021.
The Caesars online sportsbook and app are exceptionally popular, have terrific customer service, excellent odds and come with Caesars Rewards, which means users can earn credits toward dining and hotel stays at Caesars properties plus much more.
Sports Illustrated, one of the most legendary names in sports, is now in the gambling business with the SI Sportsbook. SI got into the sports gambling space in June 2021 with a merger with 888 Holdings, which enabled SI’s branding on the New Jersey-based sportsbook 888 Sports.
SI has good odds and customer service and offers a robust number of markets for all your North American sports betting desires.
Owned and operated by Rush Street Interactive, part of the Chicago-based Rush Street Gaming, BetRivers betting site knows what it takes to please its customers. Part of its appeal is its expansive in-play betting interface that gives clients access to both major and niche sports worldwide. Some in-play betting events also offer instant betting and live streaming video, taking the experience to a whole new level. BetRivers rewards its customers with a VIP program called iRush Rewards, with players earning Loyalty Level Points every time they wager.
As the sportsbook arm of MGM Resorts International, one of the biggest casino companies in the world, Colorado’s BetMGM was always destined for success. Among its many alluring features, the sportsbook offers a cash-out or live ticket option on open bets. It also offers ‘Edit My Bet’, a rare feature that allows the flexibility to increase a wager, add new legs to a bet, or even the option to change the participants in the bet.
WynnBET is a big name in the gambling industry and its betting offer couldn’t be more enticing. With a large pool of betting markets, different betting options and stellar promotional offers, this sportsbook is definitely worth shortlisting. Keen to keep its loyal patrons, it offers good rewards, including a daily odds boost, parlay insurance, and ongoing free bet promotions.
With all the advantages of being powered by a collaboration between FOX Sports and The Stars Group, FOX Bet has the makings of a powerhouse. FOX Bet launched in New Jersey and Pennsylvania in 2019, before making its way to Colorado. Determined to stand out from the crowd, FOX Bet offers daily bet boosts, stack boosts, and other outstanding betting specials on both marquee national and local matchups.
Founded in the UK in 1967, Betfred is a well-known brand in the European gambling arena. However, it was not until 2020 that it branched out into the US, when it launched a retail sportsbook at Grand Falls Casino in Iowa before moving into Colorado when sports betting became legalised. As you might expect from such an established player, Betfred goes out of its way to offer rewarding promotions, a range of deposit options, and a fully functioning app, all in a secure environment.
FanDuel sportsbook has become one of the market leaders in Colorado sportsbooks, after branching out from daily and weekly fantasy sports in 2018. Live in-play wagering features heavily in its diverse betting options, with all the regular leagues and a good range of futures markets on offer.
FanDuel took off in popularity thanks to its creation of the Same-Game Parlay, which enables users to combine markets from the same game and has since become standard at sportsbooks nationwide. FanDuel added the Same-Game Parlay+, which allows bettors the opportunity to combine multiple markets from multiple games. It offers a great service with great odds and more innovative features rolled out every week.
Despite being a relatively recent arrival, the Australian company PointsBet has raised the bar on the US gambling scene, with its unique PointsBetting system, which rewards players according to ‘how right’ or ‘how wrong’ they are with their wager (i.e. their distance from the actual result). In-game betting is also available to players at PointsBet, giving bettors the chance to look at a team’s form during the first few minutes of action before making a wager.
You can also place bets at these online CO sportsbooks:
- BetWildwood (ISI)
- Circa Sports
- Elite Sportsbook
- SBK Sportsbook
- Sky Ute Sportsbook
- theScore Bet
How Do I Join Colorado Sports Betting Sites?
The registration process for online Colorado sportsbooks will vary among providers, but once you pick the site or app you want to use, follow the instructions below:
- Go to the site and either register online or download the app
- Complete the registration process on the app if using it
- Provide the information requested, which will include basic personal details such as name and address, plus the last four digits of your social security number
- Enter a promo code if you have one
- Read and accept the terms and conditions
- Wait for verification that you have been accepted as a customer
- Deposit funds and start betting
Be aware that all licensed Colorado sportsbooks must verify your identity, age, and location. They need to know that you are who you say you are, that you are over 21, and that you are in the state’s borders. Online sportsbooks use high-quality identification and geo-location technology, and verification is usually done within minutes, or even seconds. If it takes longer, it may mean that you have entered details incorrectly.
How To Fund My Account
Online Colorado sportsbooks make it quick and easy to deposit funds and withdraw winnings. Not every sportsbook has the same options, but all are user-friendly.
Whether you’re doing it for the first time or you’re an existing customer, depositing is quite easy. The super quick and easy process should go like this:
- Click on the Deposit, Add Funds, or Cashier option
- Choose a banking options
- Enter an amount you want to deposit
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password to confirm the process
- The CO sportsbook will verify the process is complete and it will be reflected in your deposit
- Check email for further confirmation from the sportsbook
Withdrawal funds are secure as long as you are wagering with a site that is licensed by the state’s Division of Gaming Enforcement. Some sportsbooks may require verification (such as a driver’s license) before processing withdrawal requests.
Similar to depositing funds, withdrawing is relatively easy:
- Find the withdrawal option on the sportsbook app or site
- Choose a method of withdrawal
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation
Once your account is set up, you will need to deposit some funds before you can start betting. Most Colorado sports betting sites and apps accept a wide range of deposit options. When it comes to withdrawing any winnings, you can request a withdrawal at any time, and your winnings are usually returned to the same account or online wallet you used to deposit.
Each operator will have different payment methods, so check that your preferred payment method is available before signing up. Most funding sources are instant, but some can take a few days to clear.
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
Compared to deposits, there are fewer options to withdraw funds, but there are still enough options out there:
- Cash At Casino Cage
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
How to Download a Colorado Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in Colorado?
Colorado players can access most major professional and college sports available in the US, along with important international games and events, and some intriguing niche offerings. Here is a list of the most popular sports on offer:
- Football (NFL, NCAA)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAA)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
- Mixed Martial Arts (UFC)
While live betting and prop bets are prohibited on college sports in Colorado, there is a silver lining for bettors. Wagers may be made on the University of Colorado, Colorado State University, University of Denver as well as games featuring the Air Force Academy. The pro teams in the state offer no betting limitations. This includes the Denver Broncos, Denver Nuggets, Colorado Rockies, Colorado Rapids and Colorado Avalanche.
Each sportsbook has its own rules and regulations, so not every sportsbook follows the same guidelines. There are, however, certain restrictions that all sports bettors must follow in the state of CO. Below are the following restrictions:
- Bettors can not wager on high school athletics.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the state of Colorado:
- Denver Broncos
- Colorado Rockies
- Denver Nuggets
- Colorado Avalanche
- Colorado Rapids
- Colorado Buffaloes (NCAA)
- Air Force Falcons (NCAA)
- Denver Pioneers (NCAA)
- Colorado State Rams (NCAA)
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: The moneyline is the most basic form of sports betting. It’s simply the bettor picking which team will win, balanced by the sportsbook’s odds that it will happen. The favorite will have a negative moneyline while the underdog will have a positive moneyline.
- Point Spread: The margin of victory involved in betting Against The Spread (ATS). The bettor is wagering on the point margin between two teams.
- Totals: Also known as an Over/Under, is betting on a game or prop total for more (Over) or fewer (Under) than a sportsbook-designated total.
- Props: Bet on an item not directly involved with the score/result of a game. A prop could be a player’s total points scored, home runs hit, touchdowns scored; and it can be team totals like passing yards, three-pointers made, etc.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows a sports bettor to place wagers on games as they happen. The sportsbook will change the odds as the game progresses depending on what’s happening in the game.
- Futures: Betting on an event, statistic, or anything similar to occur after the end of a full event or season. An example of this would be betting on next year’s Super Bowl winner in the preseason.
- Parlays: A single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. If any of the bets in the parlay lose, the entire parlay loses.
- PointsBetting (exclusive to PointsBet): Your winnings or losses from a bet are not determined until the very end of a game. If your bet wins by one point (or unit), you would win 1x your bet amount (stake). If your bet wins by 2 units, you win 2x stake and so on. Conversely, if you lose by 1 unit, you would lose 1x stake and so on.
Colorado Sportsbook List
The following are the land-based sportsbooks you can enjoy when betting in Colorado. The state’s casinos are confined to three towns in the Rocky Mountains: Black Hawk, Century City, and Cripple Creek. Not all of these retail sportsbooks have online options as some are just available for players at the physical establishment:
- Barstool at Ameristar Casino
- Betfred at Saratoga Casino
- BetMGM at Midnight Rose Casino
- BetMonarch at Monarch Casino
- BetRivers at JP McGill’s Casino
- BetWildwood (ISI) at Wildwood Casino
- Circa Sports at Century Casino Cripple Creek
- DraftKings at Golden Gulch Casino
- Elite Sportsbook at Red Dolly Casino
- FanDuel at Golden Gates Casino
- FOX Bet at Lady Luck Casino
- ISI at Colorado Grande Casino
- PlayMaverick at Grand Z Casino Hotel
- PlayMaverick at Johnny Z’s Casino
- PlayMaverick at Z Casino
- PlaySports at Sasquatch Casino
- PlaySports at The Wild Card Saloon
- PlayUp at Bull Durham Casino
- PointsBet at Double Eagle Casino
- SBK Sportsbook at Bronco Billy’s Christmas Casino
- Sky Ute Sportsbook at Sky Ute Casino
- SportsBetting.com at Johnny Nolon’s Casino
- SuperBook at The Lodge Casino
- theScore Bet at The Gilpin Casino
- TwinSpires at Bronco Billy’s Casino
- William Hill at Isle Casino
- WynnBet at Bronco Billy’s Casino
Can I Play at Online Casinos in CO?
Unfortunately, not as online casinos and online poker have not yet been legalized in Colorado. The gambling-expansion bill and referendum did not include the provision of online casino games. For now, sports betting and daily fantasy sports are the only forms of online gambling permitted in the state.
When Did Colorado Sports Betting Become Legal?
Sports betting was approved in Colorado in November 2019, with operators permitted to start taking bets from May 1, 2020. More than a dozen sportsbooks went live soon afterward, with many more companies expected to launch in the state in the months to come.
Legal sports betting within the state is regulated by the Colorado Gaming Control Commission and the Colorado Division of Gaming.
CO Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018 - After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- November 5, 2019 - Colorado legalizes both online and retail sports betting.
- May 1, 2020 - Colorado launches online sportsbooks. The first four online sportsbooks to launch on this date were DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, and BetRivers.
- September 9, 2020 - PointsBet signs the first-ever college football deal with the University of Colorado. PointsBet and Learfield IMG College (Buffaloes’ media rightsholder) signed a five-year sponsorship deal.