The state of Arizona has legalized sports betting, going live in September 2021, just in time for the start of the NFL season. Sports betting is available on both online and retail platforms.
The retail casinos reside in Phoenix and Tucson, so state residents are able to place in-person wagers. Residents can play daily fantasy sports with the passing of this bill. It’s an exciting time for sports bettors in Arizona!
Here’s what you need to know about sports betting in Arizona.
Can I Bet on Sports in Arizona?
Sports betting is legal and operational, having launched September 9, 2021. You can bet in person at a retail casino in Phoenix or Tucson. You can also bet online at one of the available sportsbooks.
Do I Have to be a Resident of AZ to Bet Online?
You do not need to be a resident of Arizona to bet online. You just need to be within the state while placing a wager. Similar to other online gambling providers, Arizona uses geolocation and IP monitoring to check that each user is within state borders while engaging in sports betting.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in AZ?
The legal betting age is 21 years old in Arizona.
Why Should I Join an Arizona Betting Site?
Betting in Arizona will be a safe, positive experience. Here are some reasons why you should bet in Arizona:
- Each legal sportsbook is licensed and overseen by the Arizona Department of Gaming.
- You can conveniently place online bets at home or in person at a retail casino.
- The state’s sportsbooks provide fair and consistent betting markets.
- You can enjoy the welcome bonuses and other promotions that each sportsbook has to offer.
- Customer service is available if needed to assist with any potential issues that may arise.
- You can avoid risky offshore sportsbooks in favor of the legitimate and legal options in your state.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Offshore sportsbooks are unregulated and therefore riskier.
- They are held to lower standards of operation.
- It is illegal for offshore sportsbooks to process monetary transactions.
- Users often must convert their money to cryptocurrency to sidestep the illegality of offshore sports betting.
- Fewer deposit and withdrawal methods to choose from.
- Mainstream credit card companies will often deny payments to offshore sites.
- Payments to offshore sportsbooks will be listed under a different name on your credit card statement to disguise the transaction.
- Limited and less reliable customer support makes resolving issues more difficult.
- Fewer betting options, welcome bonuses, and other promotions.
Arizona Sports Betting Sites
With sports betting now legal in Arizona, here are some sportsbooks that you can join:
DraftKings is one of the most popular sites in the industry for sports bettors and fantasy gamers alike. The company began as a daily fantasy sports platform before expanding into sports betting. It is often one of the first operators to open up in new markets.
The site has a user-friendly app with a variety of betting markets and bet types, including a robust selection of player props and futures bets. Users can feel secure depositing funds into their DraftKings account since it’s such a reputable brand in the industry.
DraftKings is convenient because you can use it for both sports betting and DFS within the same account. They are affiliated with PGA as their licensing partner and TPC Scottsdale as their retail partner in Arizona.
FanDuel began as a daily fantasy sports website back in 2012 and has evolved into one of the most popular sportsbooks in the country.
The sportsbook created Same Game Parlays, a popular bet type that allows users to combine player props with other bet types for higher payouts. The player prop selection is unmatched on FanDuel, including several players that you might not find on other betting sites.
They are affiliated with the Phoenix Suns as their licensing partner and the Phoenix Suns Arena as their retail partner in Arizona.
BetMGM went from a giant in the casino resort industry into a major sportsbook after a partnership between MGM and Entain Holdings in 2018. It is now one of the top betting sites in the country.
The site is user-friendly with a detailed live betting platform along with fair odds and multiple bet types. They also have an option to live-stream select events, so you can follow the game as you sweat your bet.
They are affiliated with the Gila River Indian Community as their licensing partner and Gila River Hotel & Casinos Lone Butte, Vee Quiva, and Wild Horse Pass as their retail partners. BetMGM also has a deal with the Arizona Cardinals.
Caesars is a leader in the casino resort industry that jumped into online sports betting with the creation of Caesars Sportsbook in 2018. After the purchase of reputable sportsbook William Hill in 2021, Caesars really took off and is now one of the top betting sites on the market.
The sportsbook offers some of the most generous welcome bonuses along with a useful rewards system, which can be redeemed at Caesars hotels, restaurants, and bars. Bettors can find daily odds boosts on the site to help provide more value on their wagers.
Caesars is affiliated with the Arizona Diamondbacks, opening a retail sportsbook at the team’s stadium, Chase Field. It’s awesome for Arizona bettors to place a bet at the Caesars sportsbook while watching an MLB game!
Bally Bet was created in 2o21 by Bally, a company that was already established in the betting industry. They partnered with Twin River Worldwide Holdings to develop this betting site.
The sportsbook provides useful rewards to help you get off to a strong start in your betting venture. There is an awesome rewards program where users can receive trophies for their achievements.
The site has WNBA as their licensing partner with Phoenix Mercury as their retail partner. The company plans to open a retail sportsbook at the Footprint Center, which is where both Arizona NBA and WNBA teams play.
Unibet is a veteran in the industry, established in 1997 and part of the Kindred Group, which houses multiple leading brands in the sports betting space. The sportsbook has been a trusted option for international bettors and entered into the U.S. market in 2019.
The site provides several bet types and betting markets along with an easy-to-use interface. There are useful welcome bonuses and promotions, as well as a comprehensive selection of player props. For example, you can bet on different yardage props for DeAndre Hopkins, each at different moneylines.
Unibet has partnered with the Quechen Tribe of the Fort Yuma Indian Reservation and will have both online and retail sportsbook offerings.
BetRivers was developed by Rush Interactive in 2018 before adding an online component in 2019. It has spread across several states, becoming one of the most trusted sportsbooks in the country.
This sportsbook features an extensive rewards program that provides users with more expected value in their wagers. Bettors have the ability to live-stream their events, which goes great with the site’s live-betting platform.
BetRivers is partnered with the Arizona Rattlers of the Indoor Football League, one of the state’s oldest sports franchises.
How Do I Join AZ Sports Betting Sites?
To bet on sports legally in Arizona, follow the steps below:
- Select your preferred sportsbook and click on one of The Game Day’s “Get Bonus” or “Claim Now” buttons to activate the welcome bonus.
- Complete registration info (name, address, email, phone number, upload photo ID, etc.).
- If you came across the site on your own, still use one of our promo codes to make sure you receive your bonus.
- Agree to all terms of service and hit submit to complete the process and trigger your bonus.
- You will then receive an email confirmation for your records.
- Click “Deposit" and pick a banking method.
- Deposit money into your new account to get started. If receiving a deposit match bonus, both your money and the bonus will appear in your account.
- Start betting!
How To Fund My Account
It’s an easy process to fund your account. Online Arizona sportsbooks make it quick and easy to deposit funds and withdraw winnings.
Whether it’s your first deposit or you’re a long-time customer, depositing is an easy process:
- Click Deposit or Add Funds.
- Choose your preferred banking method.
- Enter the amount you want to deposit.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password.
- The site will verify the process is complete and will be reflected in your deposit.
- Check for a confirmation email from the sportsbook.
The withdrawal process is quick and easy. You can find the steps below:
- Click ‘Withdraw’ on the sportsbook desktop or mobile app.
- Choose a method of withdrawal.
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction.
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation.
Each sportsbook offers a variety of payment options to deposit and withdraw funds. Deposits will land in your account instantly so that you’re able to place your wagers right away, while withdrawals are typically processed within 24-48 hours.
Some of the deposit options include:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
While there are fewer withdrawal options than with deposits, there are still enough options to make the process timely and efficient:
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
- Cash At Casino Cage
How to Download an AZ Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in Arizona?
Sports bettors in Arizona are able to place a wager on any of the options provided by the eligible sportsbooks that are operational in the state. You don’t need to worry about missing on a potential bet that is only available in another state. The list of options includes:
- Football (NFL, NCAAF)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAAB)
- Horse Racing
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
Each sportsbook has its own rules and regulations, so not every sportsbook follows the same guidelines. There are, however, certain restrictions that all sports bettors must follow in the state of AZ. Below are the following restrictions:
- Bettors can not wager on high school athletics.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
- Arizona Cardinals
- Phoenix Suns
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Arizona Coyotes
- Phoenix Mercury
- Arizona Rattlers
- Arizona Wildcats (NCAA)
- Arizona State Sun Devils (NCAA)
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: Each side in a game or match has a moneyline, which determines your risk and reward on any given wager. For example, if the Diamondbacks are favored to beat the Giants with a moneyline of -125, you would risk $12.50 to win $10.00. On the other hand, if you bet on the Giants in that same game at +105, you would risk $10.00 to win $10.50. Moneyline bets are simply picking who will win.
- Point Spread: Each game also has a point spread, also known as run lines (MLB) and puck lines (NHL). If the Cardinals are favored by -10.5 against the Bears, that means the Cardinals need to win by 11 or more points for you to win your bet. If you chose the Bears at +10.5, you would win if the Bears lost by 10 or less or if they won outright.
- Totals: Each game is assigned a total of runs, goals, or points, and the bet is on whether more or less than that amount will be scored. For example, if I bet the over on 49.5 points in a game between the Cardinals and Falcons, I need the two teams to combine for 50 or more points in order to win my bet. There are also team totals, where you bet over or under on how much a team will score.
- Props: Prop bets allow you to bet on a variety of outcomes happening within a game, including player stats. For example, if I bet on over 20.5 points scored for Chris Paul, I need him to score 21 points or more. Prop bets have increased in popularity due to fantasy sports, and most sportsbooks now offer a diverse selection of prop bets across different sports.
- Live Betting: Live betting involves placing a wager after the game has already started. Live betting odds are updated in real-time based on the latest development in the game. For example, let’s say you bet on the Coyotes at -130 to beat the Islanders, but the Islanders score the first goal, you can now bet on the Coyotes to win at a reduced price.
- Futures: A futures bet is a wager on something that won’t be decided until the season or playoffs are completed. You can bet on team futures like division winners, conference winners, champions, season win totals, and much more. You can also bet on player futures like season awards, total stats, and many others.
- Parlays: A parlay is when you combine multiple bets for a higher payout. All of your bets, called “legs", need to hit in order for you to win the parlay. For example, if I parlay Lakers -7.5 with Knicks +5.5 and Celtics -9.5, I need all three of those bets to be correct in order to win.
Arizona Sportsbook List
With sports betting now legal in the state, sportsbooks are open, many partnering with sports teams and Arizona’s tribal casinos. So far, partnerships include:
- Caesars at Chase Field (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- BetMGM at State Farm Stadium (Arizona Cardinals)
- WynnBet with San Carlos Apache Tribe at the Apache Gold Casino and Apache Sky Casino
- DraftKings at TPC Scottsdale (Waste Management Phoenix Open)
- FanDuel at Footprint Center (Phoenix Suns)
- Bally’s with Phoenix Mercury
Can I Play at Online Casinos in AZ?
Online casinos are currently unavailable in the state of Arizona. However, that could change in the future.
When Did Arizona Sports Betting Become Legal?
On April 15, 2021, the state of Arizona passed the HB2772 bill, which legalized both online and retail sports betting. It took a few years to get to this point, but Governor Doug Ducey ultimately decided that the state needed revenue, and sports betting was a terrific opportunity.
AZ Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018 - After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- April 15, 2021 - Governor Doug Ducey signed House Bill 2772 into law, legalizing sports betting in Arizona.
- September 9, 2021 - Launch date of sports betting in Arizona.