Table of contents
The state of Arizona has legalized sports betting. While it is not yet operational, the state is targeting September 9th, 2021 as a launch date, just in time for the start of the NFL season. Sports betting will be available both online and retail in the state of Arizona.
The retail casinos reside in Phoenix and Tucson, so state residents will also have the opportunity for in-person betting. Residents will also finally be able to play daily fantasy sports with the passing of this bill. It’s an exciting time for sports bettors in Arizona!
Here’s what you need to know about sports betting in Arizona.
Can I Bet on Sports in Arizona?
Sports betting is legal and operational, having launched September 9, 2021. You can bet in-person at a retail casino in Phoenix or Tucson. You can also bet online at one of the available sportsbooks.
Do I Have to be a Resident of AZ to Bet Online?
You do not need to be a resident of Arizona to bet online. You just need to be within the state while placing a wager. Similar to other online gambling providers, Arizona uses geolocation and IP monitoring to check that each user is within state borders while engaging in sports betting.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in AZ?
The legal betting age is 21 years old in Arizona.
Why Should I Join an Arizona Betting Site?
Betting in Arizona will be a safe, positive experience. Here are some reasons why you should bet in Arizona:
- Each legal sportsbook will be licensed and overseen by the Arizona Department of Gaming.
- You can conveniently place online bets at home or in-person at a retail casino.
- The state’s sportsbooks will provide fair and consistent betting markets.
- You can enjoy the welcome bonuses and other promotions that each sportsbook has to offer.
- Customer service will be available if needed to assist with any potential issues that may arise.
- You can avoid risky offshore sportsbooks in favor of the legitimate and legal options in your state.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Offshore sportsbooks are unregulated and therefore riskier.
- They are held to lower standards of operation.
- It is illegal for offshore sportsbooks to process monetary transactions.
- Users often must convert their money to cryptocurrency to sidestep the illegality of offshore sports betting.
- Fewer deposit and withdrawal methods to choose from.
- Mainstream credit card companies will often deny payments to offshore sites.
- Payments to offshore sportsbooks will be listed under a different name on your credit card statement to disguise the transaction.
- Limited and less reliable customer support makes resolving issues more difficult.
- Fewer betting options, welcome bonuses, and other promotions.
Arizona Sports Betting Sites
With sports betting now legal in Arizona, here are some sportsbooks already live:
DraftKings is one of the most popular sites in the industry for sports bettors and fantasy gamers alike. It is likely to be available for the first time with the legalization of sports betting, as this has also allowed for operations of daily fantasy sports within the state.
DraftKings is convenient because you can use it for both sports betting and DFS within the same account. They are expected to be affiliated with the PGA as their licensing partner and TPC Scottsdale as their retail partner.
Similar to DraftKings, FanDuel is another popular sportsbook that also provides daily fantasy. Like DraftKings, we can safely project it to be available within Arizona. It offers similar options to DraftKings in the convenience of having your sports betting and daily fantasy on the same account. They are expected to be affiliated with the Phoenix Suns as their licensing partner and the Phoenix Suns Arena as their retail partner.
BetMGM has recently emerged as another leading sportsbook in the industry and is currently available in 11 states: Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington D.C.
We can project it to open up in Arizona as well due to its increasing expansion across the U.S. They are expected to be affiliated with the Gila River Indian Community as their licensing partner and Gila River Hotel & Casinos Lone Butte, Vee Quiva, and Wild Horse Pass as their retail partners. BetMGM is also expected to be partnered with the Arizona Cardinals.
Caesars Sports is currently available in Nevada, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. Their rewards can be redeemed at Caesars hotels, restaurants, and bars. They are expected to be affiliated with MLB as their licensing partner and the Arizona Diamondbacks as their retail partner.
William Hill is Now Caesars Sports
Caesars Entertainment acquired William Hill in September 2020. William Hill served as the primary iGaming platform for both legal sports betting and casino operations until August 2021, where the William Hill named was officially dropped. The brand will move forward as Caesars Sportsbook.
With the acquisition, Caesars Sports is also expected to be affiliated with the Ak-Chin Indian Community and Harrah’s Ak-Chin as a retail partner.
Bally Bet is currently operating in Colorado and Iowa. They provide interesting rewards for your betting in the form of “trophies” for achievements. They are expected to be affiliated with the WNBA as their licensing partner and the Phoenix Mercury as their retail partner.
WynnBET is presently available in six states: Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Tennessee, and Virginia. It provides an online casino along with a variety of sports betting options. WynnBET is expected to partner with the San Carlos Apache Tribal Gaming Enterprise. The tribe has two retail locations, the Apache Gold Casino and the Apache Sky Casino.
Unibet offers several promotions for its online casino, which helps distinguish itself from other sportsbooks within the industry. Unibet has partnered with the Quechen Tribe of the Fort Yuma Indian Reservation and will have both online and retail sportsbook offerings.
BetRivers has expanded to eight different states: Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Iowa, Colorado, Virginia, and West Virginia. This sportsbook features an extensive rewards program that provides users with more expected value in their wagers. BetRivers will partner with the Arizona Rattlers of the Indoor Football League, one of the state’s oldest sports franchises.
How Do I Join AZ Sports Betting Sites?
To bet on sports legally in Arizona, follow the steps below:
- Select your preferred sportsbook and click on one of The Game Day’s “Get Bonus” or “Claim Now” buttons to activate the welcome bonus.
- Complete registration info (name, address, email, phone number, upload photo ID, etc.).
- If you came across the site on your own, still use one of our promo codes to make sure you receive your bonus.
- Agree to all terms of service and hit submit to complete the process and trigger your bonus.
- You will then receive an email confirmation for your records.
- Click “Deposit” and pick a banking method.
- Deposit money into your new account to get started. If receiving a deposit match bonus, both your money and the bonus will appear in your account.
- Start betting!
How To Fund My Account
It’s an easy process to fund your account. Online Arizona sportsbooks make it quick and easy to deposit funds and withdraw winnings.
Whether it’s your first deposit or you’re a long-time customer, depositing is an easy process:
- Click Deposit or Add Funds.
- Choose your preferred banking method.
- Enter the amount you want to deposit.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, enter your password.
- The site will verify the process is complete and will be reflected in your deposit.
- Check for a confirmation email from the sportsbook.
The withdrawal process is quick and easy. You can find the steps below:
- Click ‘Withdraw’ on the sportsbook desktop or mobile app.
- Choose a method of withdrawal.
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction.
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation.
Each sportsbook offers a variety of payment options to deposit and withdraw funds. Deposits will land in your account instantly so that you’re able to place your wagers right away, while withdrawals are typically processed within 24-48 hours.
Some of the deposit options include:
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
While there are fewer withdrawal options than with deposits, there are still enough options to make the process timely and efficient:
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
- Cash At Casino Cage
How to Download an AZ Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in Arizona?
Sports bettors in Arizona are able to place a wager on any of the options provided by the eligible sportsbooks that are operational in the state. You don’t need to worry about missing on a potential bet that is only available in another state. The list of options includes:
- Football (NFL, NCAAF)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAAB)
- Horse Racing
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
Each sportsbook has its own rules and regulations, so not every sportsbook follows the same guidelines. There are, however, certain restrictions that all sports bettors must follow in the state of AZ. Below are the following restrictions:
- Bettors can not wager on high school athletics.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
- Arizona Cardinals
- Phoenix Suns
- Arizona Diamondbacks
- Arizona Coyotes
- Phoenix Mercury
- Arizona Rattlers
- Arizona Wildcats (NCAA)
- Arizona State Sun Devils (NCAA)
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: Each side in a game or match has a moneyline, which determines your risk and reward on any given wager. For example, if the Red Sox are favored to beat the Yankees with a moneyline of -125, you would risk $12.50 to win $10.00. On the other hand, if you bet on the Yankees in that same game at +105, you would risk $10.00 to win $10.50. Moneyline bets are simply picking who will win.
- Point Spread: Each game also has a point spread, also known as run lines (MLB) and puck lines (NHL). If the Packers are favored by -10.5 against the Bears, that means the Packers need to win by 11 or more points for you to win your bet. If you chose the Bears at +10.5, you would win if the Bears lost by 10 or less or if they won outright.
- Totals: Each game is assigned a total of runs, goals, or points, and the bet is on whether more or less than that amount will be scored. For example, if I bet the over on 49.5 points in a game between the Chargers and Falcons, I need the two teams to combine for 50 or more points in order to win my bet. There are also team totals, where you bet over or under on how much a team will score.
- Props: Prop bets allow you to bet on a variety of outcomes happening within a game, including player stats. For example, if I bet on over 20.5 points scored for Chris Paul, I need him to score 21 points or more. Prop bets have increased in popularity due to fantasy sports, and most sportsbooks now offer a diverse selection of prop bets across different sports.
- Live Betting: Live betting involves placing a wager after the game has already started. Live betting odds are updated in real-time based on the latest development in the game. For example, let’s say you bet on the Rangers at -100 to beat the Islanders, but the Rangers score the first goal. You can now bet on the Islanders to win at a reduced price.
- Futures: A futures bet is a wager on something that won’t be decided until the season or playoffs are completed. You can bet on team futures like division winners, conference winners, champions, season win totals, and much more. You can also bet on player futures like season awards, total stats, and many others.
- Parlays: A parlay is when you combine multiple bets for a higher payout. All of your bets, called “legs”, need to hit in order for you to win the parlay. For example, if I parlay Lakers -7.5 with Knicks +5.5 and Celtics -9.5, I need all three of those bets to be correct in order to win.
Arizona Sportsbook List
With sports betting now legal in the state, sportsbooks are open, many partnering with sports teams and Arizona’s tribal casinos. So far, partnerships include:
- Caesars at Chase Field (Arizona Diamondbacks)
- BetMGM at State Farm Stadium (Arizona Cardinals)
- WynnBet with San Carlos Apache Tribe at the Apache Gold Casino and Apache Sky Casino
- DraftKings at TPC Scottsdale (Waste Management Phoenix Open)
- FanDuel at Phoenix Suns Arena (Phoenix Suns)
- Bally’s with Phoenix Mercury
Can I Play at Online Casinos in AZ?
Online casinos are currently unavailable in the state of Arizona. However, that could change in the future.
When Did Arizona Sports Betting Become Legal?
On April 15, 2021, the state of Arizona passed the HB2772 bill, which legalized both online and retail sports betting. It took a few years to get to this point, but Governor Doug Ducey ultimately decided that the state needed revenue, and sports betting was a terrific opportunity.
AZ Sports Betting Timeline
- May 14, 2018 – After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- April 15, 2021 – Governor Doug Ducey signed House Bill 2772 into law, legalizing sports betting in Arizona.
- September 9, 2021 – Launch date of sports betting in Arizona.