MLB
Spread

Ja’Marr Chase NFL Draft 2021 Prospect Profile: 1st-Round Grade, Odell Beckham Comp

Frank AmmiranteSenior Sports Writer
@FAmmiranteTFJ
Last Updated: Apr 9, 2021

This is The Game Day’s Ja’Marr Chase NFL Draft Prospect Profile. After you read our Ja’Marr Chase Scouting Report, check out our full 2021 NFL Draft Guide and Marcus Mosher’s first 2021 NFL Mock Draft for Round 1 and see where Chase is predicted to be selected.

Ja’Marr Chase NFL Draft Prospect Profile

Ja’Marr Chase Draft Prospect: Bio & Measurables

• School: LSU
  • Class in Final Season: Junior
  • Age on NFL Draft Day: 21
  • Height: 6-foot
  • Weight: 208 lbs.

Ja’Marr Chase: Scouting Report

Strengths

• Crisp route-runner with a strong release
  • Elite production in sophomore season
  • Ability to use speed and elusiveness to rack up yards after the catch
  • Can line up out wide or in slot

Weaknesses

• Does not have elite size
  • Opted out of junior season, maybe raising some concerns about NFL readiness
  • Played in a stacked offense at LSU, which may have elevated his production
  • Sometimes has minor issues with drops

Ja’Marr Chase NFL Outlook

Chase had a breakout season in his sophomore year, putting up 84 receptions for 1,780 yards (21.2 Y/R) and 20 touchdowns.

Chase projects as an alpha WR1 with the ability to do it all on the field. He has good speed and burst to run away from defenders. He’s also a terrific route-runner with excellent hands and a strong release to separate from press coverage. Chase can make big plays after the catch and line up out wide or in the slot.

While some might knock Chase down their WR rankings due to his opt-out, this is a player who broke out at 19 years old. He was able to put up elite numbers despite sharing targets with standout 2020 rookie Justin Jefferson. He has the look of the top wide receiver in this class.

Chase boasts the ability to become the top option on his new team from Day 1. In fact, he reminds me of another star wide receiver from LSU.

Ja’Marr Chase NFL Comp

Odell Beckham Jr: Chase has similar measurables to Beckham. Both wide receivers have good speed with the ability to make plays after the catch.

They are able to play all over the field, whether in the slot or on the perimeter. Both players also have the ability to release from press coverage. OBJ was faster coming out of LSU, but Chase has better college production. Chase is the superior prospect and definitely has the upside to reach OBJ’s level in the NFL.

Ja’Marr Chase 2021 Draft Team Fits

Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins are on the right track, but they need to find a top wide receiver to help out sophomore quarterback Tua Tagovailoa. DeVante Parker (if he’s kept instead of being cut during an out year in his contract) and Preston Williams would form a solid duo, but Chase would give the team an alpha WR1.

Adding Chase would create a nice skills group that includes Parker and Williams, along with TE Mike Gesicki and RB Myles Gaskin. The Dolphins have done a nice job molding their new defense.

It’s time to surround Tua with more talent on offense. At the same time, we could see the Dolphins trade down here, especially because this is a draft with a strong WR class.

Cincinnati Bengals

The Bengals hit a home run with wide receiver Tee Higgins last year, but adding Chase would reunite him with his LSU teammate in quarterback Joe Burrow.

Burrow, Chase and Higgins, along with Tyler Boyd and Joe Mixon, would give the Bengals a stacked group of young and talented skill players.

The issue here is that the Bengals need to address their offensive line, so we could see them pass on Chase and go with offensive tackle Penei Sewell, especially since they already have a young WR1 in Higgins.

Philadelphia Eagles

The Eagles desperately need an alpha WR1. Sophomore Jalen Reagor has some potential, but he looks more like a complementary deep threat than a top option on the perimeter.

General manager Howie Roseman made a huge mistake in passing on Justin Jefferson last year, but he now has an opportunity to address that by taking another LSU wide receiver in Chase. Whether it’s Carson Wentz or Jalen Hurts at QB, the Eagles desperately need to infuse talent at the wide receiver position.

Ja’Marr Chase NFL Draft Prediction

Round 1, Pick 6: Miami Dolphins

The Dolphins made a shrewd move in trading down from Pick 3 because they’ll still be able to draft the top wide receiver on the board in Chase.

The Bengals are the main threat for Chase, but they will likely address their offensive line at Pick 5 with Penei Sewell. The Falcons (4) should take quarterback Trey Lance or tight end Kyle Pitts. The Jets appear to be locked in on Zach Wilson at 2.

Chase would immediately become the alpha WR1 for the Dolphins.

Ja’Marr Chase NFL Draft Bets

BetMGM currently lists Chase at -357 to be the first wide receiver selected in this draft. While this seems highly likely, it’s just not worth it to pay up for this price. There’s always a chance that the Dolphins opt to re-unite Tua with college teammate Devonta Smith.

I would pass on this bet and keep an eye out to see if there is a prop on where Chase is selected. Perhaps it will be more affordable to lay a bet on the Dolphins.

Now that you’ve read our Ja’Marr Chase Draft Prospect scouting report, stay tuned after the 2021 NFL Draft for his impact on betting lines, odds and tips for his likely NFL team.

New BetMGM customers can claim a signup offer to get a $100 Deposit Match up to $500. Use this offer to bet on the No. 1 pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Author

Frank Ammirante

Frank Ammirante is a Senior Sports Writer at The Game Day. Previously, he wrote for 4for4 Football and RotoBaller. Frank is a member of the Fantasy Sports Writer's Association while maintaining an active presence within the community. He has competed in industry contests like the Scott Fish Bowl, The Great Fantasy Baseball Invitational, and more. Frank will be making his debut in Tout Wars this year. He's got a diverse sporting background, but specializes in football and baseball.