Ohio Online Sports Betting
Your Guide to Ohio Betting Sites
Check out the best Ohio betting sites below that also come with terrific welcome bonuses.
Sports betting has finally arrived to The Buckeye State. After it was legalized in December 2021, it is finally operational as of January 1, 2023.
This includes mobile sports betting, allowing Ohio users to place a wager from the comfort of their personal device.
Online sports betting will be a huge boon revenue-wise for Ohio since mobile wagering is much more convenient. Ohio bettors won’t necessarily have to venture to a retail casino to place a wager, which increases the upside for state revenue.
Can I Bet on Sports in Ohio?
You are able to bet on sports while residing within state lines of Ohio as of January 1, 2023.
Do I Have to be a Resident of Ohio to Bet Online?
You won’t need to be a resident of Ohio to bet online, but you’ll need to have both feet firmly planted in the state in order to place a bet. Sportsbooks will use geofencing technology to ensure that each bettor is in Ohio when placing a wager with an Ohio-based sportsbook.
If you are planning a visit to Ohio, and are not a resident, you can still register for a new account and make deposits/withdrawals from home, but must be within state lines to place a bet.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in Ohio?
Users must be at least 21 years of age to place wagers in Ohio. Retail sportsbooks will require ID checks, and online sportsbooks have a robust proof-of-identity process to affirm that all wagers are made by people who are at least 21.
All personal information is kept secure, and will be used for identity purposes only. This protects both you, the consumer, and the sports betting site.
When Will Online Sports Betting be Legal in Ohio?
Sports betting in Ohio is legal. Governor Mike DeWine signed off on sports betting bill HB 29, thus legalizing the practice December 22, 2021.
After regulations were outlined and remaining hurdles were sorted out, online sports betting became fully operational on January 1, 2023.
The Ohio Casino Control Commission just had to sort out tax rates on sportsbooks, but they’re now up and running.
There are several prominent sportsbooks that have launched immediately, such as Caesars and BetMGM.
Why Should I Join an Ohio Betting Site?
There are a several reasons why prospective sports bettors should sign up for online betting sites, including:
- User-Friendly: Placing a wager online is a much easier experience than travelling to the casino and waiting in line at the sportsbook. You can place a bet from your desktop, laptop, or mobile device. The betting sites tend to have organized layouts with sleek interfaces, making them easy to navigate.
- Promotions: Betting sites provide users with helpful promotions that put them in a better position to succeed. Some promos are odds boosts (better value on bets), but you can also get Ohio welcome bonuses (matching first deposit in bet credits) or first bet insurance (bettors are reimbursed if their first bet fails).
- These types of deals are only available online and upon signup. Take advantage of them to help build your bankroll.
- Widely Available: There are so many betting sites to choose from, so you have several options at your disposal. Each operator has different strengths that help you get the most out of online sports betting. For example, one may have a terrific welcome bonus, while another has a great props market.
- Security: Mobile betting apps are secure and regulated. You won’t need to worry about depositing or withdrawing funds from your account. There are several banking methods to help make this an easy process.
- Support: Resolving an issue with your betting site is an easy process because the customer support team is timely and helpful. You can contact support through several platforms, including e-mail, social media, live chats or by speaking with someone on the phone.
- Betting Markets: Betting sites provide several betting markets and bet types. The point spreads, totals, and moneylines are in line with other sportsbooks, so you won’t need to worry about paying inflated prices on your preferred bets.
- Sign up for Multiple Sites: You can feel comfortable signing up for several betting sites because each one is reliable.
- Creating accounts on different apps is beneficial to compare lines and odds, but also to take advantage of welcome bonuses and other useful promotions that will add bet credits into your account.
Why to Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
Offshore sportsbooks do not offer the same reliability and experience as regulated ones because:
- Security Concerns: Offshore sportsbooks are based outside of the U.S., usually in the Caribbean. They are not regulated to the same standards as legal sportsbooks, making it hard to securely deposit money.
- There are also fewer payment options, and withdrawals can be sketchily referenced on bank statements to hide the sportsbook’s identity.
- Customer Support: There are fewer platforms to reach customer support, and they are often unreliable. This makes issues, which could come up more frequently than legal sites, more difficult to resolve.
- Betting Markets: Offshore sportsbooks often have fewer bet types (especially player props) and bet markets. You’ll sometimes find that the lines are not aligned with other sportsbooks. For example, you might get -135 moneyline odds on a game that is -120 in most other spots.
- This makes sports betting more challenging because you’re getting odds that are more expensive than the market and will pay out less than other venues.
- Promotions: Offshore sportsbooks don’t have useful promotions or welcome bonuses that legal sportsbooks provide, meaning you won’t receive perks such as bet credits for your first deposit or odds boosts to provide more value on a specific bet.
What Online Sportsbooks are Coming to Ohio?
Here are some of the prominent online sportsbooks currently available in Ohio:
DraftKings Sportsbook has quickly become one of the most reputable betting sites in the industry, with partnerships that include ESPN, NFL, and Michael Jordan.
They began as a daily fantasy sports (DFS) site in 2012, becoming one of the most popular DFS platforms on the market, then jumped into sports betting in 2018 with the development of DraftKings Sportsbook.
The sportsbook includes several betting markets and bet types, including a diverse selection of player props. Users will find useful welcome bonuses and promotions to help build their bankroll. There is also a rewards program that can be redeemed for certain perks.
FanDuel Sportsbook got started as a daily fantasy sports (DFS) platform in 2009 and immediately became the leader in the DFS industry.
The company was bought by Paddy Power Betfair in July 2018, which expanded it into the sports betting industry with the creation of FanDuel Sportsbook. FanDuel has a sleek interface and organized layout that provides a user-friendly experience, whether on desktop or mobile.
They were the first to introduce Same Game Parlays when they did so in November 2019. Through Same-Game Parlays, users can combine several outcomes within the same game, which leads to greater payouts.
Caesars Sportsbook has grown into an industry giant that offers some of the best promotions and welcome bonuses. They are a casino titan that opened a sportsbook in 2018 then expanded their operation by buying popular sportsbook William Hill in August 2021.
They have a terrific rewards program, where users can redeem their points for useful perks. It’s a reputable brand where you can feel comfortable depositing funds through their multiple payment methods, such as online banking, PayPal, and Cash at Casino.
The app is easy to use, which optimizes the user experience. Plus, Caesars boasts a diverse selection of betting markets and bet types.
BetMGM Sportsbook has established itself as one of the industry leaders in sports betting. It was developed in 2018 when MGM Resorts and Entain Holdings partnered to create this successful online platform.
The site includes a variety of betting markets with an expansive live-betting section that allows users to live-stream selected events.
There are multiple payment options, which helps make BetMGM a reliable sportsbook. They also allow users to create their own Same Game Parlays with the “Easy Parlay” feature.
Betfred Sportsbook started out as an established brand in the United Kingdom before expanding to the United States in 2020. They’ve got a terrific welcome bonus that will help you get off to a great start in your sports betting venture.
Additionally, you’ll enjoy an accessible platform that enhances the user experience. There are a number of odds boosts that give you more value on your wagers as well.
Users will be pleased to see that Betfred even includes cash-out options and Same Game Parlays.
Superbook Sportsbook has been a player in the sports betting industry since 1993. There are numerous promotions available here, along with a robust selection of player props.
The odds and pricing at Superbook are competitive in comparison to the rest of the market, so you won’t need to worry about paying overpriced lines or getting unfavorable numbers.
This is a reputable platform where you can feel comfortable depositing funds into your account.
Tipico Sportsbook was originally based in Germany, where it became a popular sportsbook throughout Europe. They have now began to establish a foothold in the U.S. market.
They’ve got a number of ongoing promotions to give you more value on your wagers, along with a generous signup bonus to help you get off to a great start on the platform.
Join Tipico today to take advantage of their new-player offer.
PointsBet Sportsbook originated in Australia but has now established itself as one of the premier sportsbooks in the country. The site is renowned for its innovative bet type known as PointsBetting.
This is where users can win more if their team has a greater winning margin, but lose more if the opposite is true. It’s a higher risk but greater reward style of betting, which makes it so enticing for sports bettors. It’s a bet type exclusive to PointsBet, helping separate the site from the competition.
You’ll also find fair lines among the diverse selection of betting markets available at PointsBet. It’s a great site for both experienced and novice bettors.
bet365 Sportsbook was established in 2000 and is one of the leaders in the sports betting industry. The company expanded to the U.S. in 2019 and is expected to continue growing throughout the country.
The site includes a variety of promotions across several sports. They have a detailed live-betting platform with live-streaming options. bet365 also features a “Cash-Out” feature, where users can cash out on their bet to secure a win before the game finishes, which is especially useful for parlays.
There are also an array of payment methods, such as credit/debit cards, online banking, PayPal, and more.
Other Operators Include:
- Barstool Sportsbook
How do I Fund my Account?
Funding your Ohio Sportsbook account is a quick and easy process. Options will vary by site, but you’ll find the steps listed below.
- Log in to your account.
- Click “Deposit.”
- Choose your preferred payment method (Debit/Credit, PayPal, Online Banking, etc.)
- If you’re using an eWallet like PayPal, input your user information.
- Input your desired amount to deposit.
- You will see your deposited funds immediately reflected into your account.
- Check for a confirmation email.
- Sign in to your account.
- Select “Withdraw.”
- Choose your withdrawal method (Debit/Credit, eWallet, etc.)
- Type in how much money you’d like to withdraw from your account.
- Your updated balance will reflect the withdrawal.
- Check for a confirmation email.
- You will receive your funds within 1-3 business days.
Retail Sports Betting in Ohio
Here’s are some of the retail sports betting locations in Ohio:
- Belterra Park (FanDuel)
- FC Cincinnati at Taft’s Ale House (Superbook)
- Northfield Park (BetMGM)
- Scioto Downs (Caesars)
- Hard Rock Casino Cincinnati (Hard Rock Digital)
- Hollywood Casino Columbus (Barstool Sportsbook)
- Hollywood Casino Toledo (Barstool Sportsbook)
- JACK Cleveland Casino (betJACK)
How to Download an Ohio Betting App
Sports betting apps offer users a convenient way to place a wager. It’s easy to download the app, just follow the steps below.
- Access the Apple store
- Input the name of the sportsbook
- Click “Download”
- If the sportsbook is not available on the Apple store, download it from the desktop website
- Sign into your account
- Place your bets
- Go to Google Play
- Type in your desired sportsbook
- Select “Download”
- If not available, you’ll need to download it from the website
- Sign into your account
- Place your wagers
What Sports Can I Bet on in Ohio?
You’ll have access to several betting markets while placing a bet in Ohio. Here are the sports that you can bet on:
- Football (NFL)
- Basketball (NBA)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Hockey (NHL)
- College Basketball (NCAAB)
- College Football (NCAAF)
- Auto Racing
- Horse Racing
Some states will place restrictions on betting on local teams or limiting certain types of prop bets. There aren’t any betting restrictions in Ohio. Bettors will be able to place wagers on professional and college sports teams along with eSports.
Local Sports Teams I can Bet on
The Buckeye State features several sports teams to bet on, both professional and college. Here is a list:
- Cleveland Browns (NFL)
- Cincinnati Bengals (NFL)
- Cleveland Guardians (MLB)
- Cincinnati Reds (MLB)
- Cleveland Cavaliers (NBA)
- Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL)
- FC Cincinnati (MLS)
- Columbus Crew (MLS)
- Akron Zips
- Bowling Green Falcons
- Cincinnati Bearcats
- Cleveland State Vikings
- Dayton Flyers
- Kent State Golden Flashes
- Miami RedHawks
- Ohio Bobcats
- Ohio State Buckeyes
- Toledo Rockets
- Wright State Raiders
- Xavier Musketeers
- Youngstown State Penguins
Ohio Sportsbook Bet Types
Bettors will have multiple bet types to choose from when sports betting in Ohio. Here is a list that includes explanations.
Each team is assigned a moneyline. The favorite is at minus odds (-), which means that you risk more than the potential payout. For example, if the Cleveland Guardians are -130, you would be risking $130 to win $100.
The underdog is at plus odds (+), meaning that the payout exceeds the risk. An example of this is if the Cincinnati Reds are +120, you would win $120 on a $100 bet.
Each game has a point spread, which is the projected winning margin. The favorite has a minus in front of the number while the underdog has a plus.
If you bet on the favorite, the team needs to win by more than the assigned point spread. This means that if you take the Cincinnati Bengals -3.5, they need to win by four or more points in order for you to win your bet.
If you take the underdog, the team can either win outright or lose within the point spread. For example, if I bet on the Cleveland Browns +4.5, I would win my bet if the Browns won the game or lost by four points or fewer.
Every game has assigned totals, whether for the full-game, half-game, or quarters. There are also totals for each team, known as team totals.
The game total is the projected points scored by both teams combined. Bettors select either “Over” or “Under” that number. For example, if I bet on the Over 5.5 goals for the Columbus Blue Jackets game, both teams would need to combine for six or more goals.
This also applies when betting for the first/second half or any of the four quarters in a football or basketball game. The assigned totals are obviously lower since you’re betting on a portion of the game, rather than the entire event.
Betting on the team total is similar, except it’s just for one specific team. I could bet on the Cleveland Guardians Over 4.5 runs, which means that they would need to score five or more runs for me to win.
Props are bets related to specific player or team outcomes within a game. Bettors can select Over or Under the assigned total for their wager.
For example, if I bet on Under 225.5 for Deshaun Watson‘s passing yards as a player prop, I would need him to throw for 225 yards or fewer to win by bet.
Likewise, if I selected the Over on 3.5 sacks for the Cleveland Browns as a team prop, I would need their defense to rack up four or more sacks to win.
There are also prop bets on unlikely outcomes that can provide higher potential payouts. For example, I could bet on Austin Hooper to score the first touchdown in a Browns game at +1000, which would pay $100 on a $10 bet.
Futures bets are selections that are settled at the end of the season. They can relate to a player’s specific stats, team wins, team awards, player awards, and much more. These bets can offer higher payouts.
For example, I can bet on the Cincinnati Bengals Over 8.5 wins at -115 and +1300 to win the Super Bowl. I might also select Joe Burrow to win NFL MVP at +1500.
Straight bets are moneyline, point spread, totals, or props that are single wagers. This means that you only need to win one bet to win money.
Live bets are moneyline, point spread, totals, or props bets that are placed after the game has started. The odds are updated in real-time. Bettors can place a live wager during a stoppage in play.
Parlays are combinations of two or more bets of varying bet types. You need to win every bet within the parlay in order to win money. Parlays offer higher payouts, since they are harder to win.
Some sportsbooks offer “Cash-Out” options, which are helpful for parlays. For example, if you win three of your first four games, you can cash-out to secure some winnings.
Ohio Sports Betting Timeline
The legal process for Ohio Sports Betting began with two bills: Senate Bill 11 (tax rate: 6.25%, controlled by Casino Control Commission) and House Bill 194 (tax rate: 10%, regulated by Ohio Lottery).
In November 2020, the Ohio Senate organized a special committee to create a bill for the legalization of sports betting in Ohio. This was significant because it demonstrated a willingness to push for legalization.
In March 2021, Governor Mike DeWine stated that sports betting was “inevitable” in the state of Ohio, which shows the overwhelming support throughout Ohio. It was huge to see the Governor publicly showcase his optimism.
Senator Schuring released new sports betting legislation, SB176, in May 2021. The bill featured the option for 40 licenses, shared by retail and online sportsbooks. The problem was that the bill required sportsbooks to operate on their own, rather than within casinos or racetracks, which resulted in pushback.
In June of the same year, Senator Schuring proposed an amendment to House Bill 29, which included the legalization of sports betting. The amendment allowed casinos to host sportsbooks. This meant that there were two potential sports betting bills: HB29 and SB176.
The roadblock had been allowing retail casinos to host sportsbooks. In December 2021, HB29 was passed with a January 2023 deadline. There was hope that bettors can place wagers in 2022.
Sports betting becomes fully operational within the state of Ohio.