Sports betting has been legalized in the state of North Carolina as of June 2023 after Governor Roy Cooper signed the bill into law. We can project online sports betting to go live in the state in the near future.
That means that you’re going to see several of the biggest operators in the industry set up shop in North Carolina, including DraftKings, FanDuel, and more.
With that in mind, let’s take a closer look to provide a full breakdown of North Carolina’s online sports betting market. You’ll learn about incoming sportsbooks along with welcome bonuses and other pertinent information regarding online wagering.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in North Carolina?
Yes, online sports betting became legal in North Carolina as of June 2023. This means that we’re going to see several sportsbooks enter the fray in the foreseeable future.
Operators will be subjected to regulations to ensure industry standards in integrity are met. Each deposit and withdrawal method is thoroughly vetted. You can feel at ease making financial transactions with an online sportsbook because they’re completely secure.
When are Online Sportsbooks Launching in North Carolina?
The projected launch date for online sportsbooks in North Carolina is January 2024. The law allows up to 12 sportsbooks to set up shop within the state.
What Online Sportsbooks are Coming to North Carolina?
We can project the top operators like DraftKings, FanDuel, and others to be among the sportsbooks that enter the market immediately.
You’ll find a breakdown of these sportsbooks below.
DraftKings is one of the top operators in the industry, renowned for its plethora of betting markets within a user-friendly interface. The site started off as a daily fantasy sports platform, but it has evolved to become a mainstay within the sports betting industry.
Users will enjoy a robust selection of bet types that includes traditional wagers like moneylines and spreads along with newer markets like player props and live betting. What really stands out about DraftKings is their futures market, which features several options that you may not find elsewhere.
Whether you’re a new bettor or veteran within this space, DraftKings has you covered.
Caesars is an industry titan, featuring a safe and secure platform with a variety of banking methods. The customer support is easily accessible, available on a live chat to address any of your potential needs.
You can feel comfortable making financial transactions with such a reputable operator, which carries the prominent Caesars brand, an established name in the casino resort industry.
Players will have a chance to get cool perks at Caesars properties through the VIP rewards system, including hotel accommodations and fine dining reservations.
FanDuel has become one of the go-to online sportsbooks for many users across the country, who enjoy the site for its accessible platform and diverse bet types.
You’ll enjoy a variety of promotions to enhance the value on your wagers at FanDuel, including odds boosts and parlay insurance. There are also novelty props that may not be available on other sites, such as alternate lines on points and rebounds in the NBA.
Be sure to check out FanDuel, whether you’re an avid sports bettor or if you’re just starting out.
BetMGM carries the renowned MGM brand, so users will feel a sense of familiarity with the site. The site boasts everything you want in a sportsbook, including fair odds, cool promotions, and a lucrative welcome bonus.
If you’re into in-game wagering, BetMGM has you covered with an expansive live betting platform where you have a variety of bet types to choose from.
Make sure to include BetMGM in your sports wagering portfolio.
Who is Eligible for North Carolina Sportsbook Account?
There are a few rules put in place regarding eligibility for North Carolina sportsbook accounts. You’ll find them outlined below.
Do I Have to be a Resident of NC to Bet Online?
You don’t have to be a resident of North Carolina to bet at one of the online sportsbooks within the state. What you do need is to be physically located in North Carolina at the time of your wager.
Geofencing technology is put in place to ensure that users are within state lines while accessing the site. In other words, if you try to make a bet on a North Carolina platform while outside of the state, the site will be blocked.
You may find that you are consistently prompted to verify your location while using a site. This highlights how each operator is diligent in ensuring compliance of this rule.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in NC?
The legal betting age in North Carolina is 21 years of age. When signing up for an account at an NC online sportsbook, you will be required to submit your birth date along with identification to verify your identity. If you’re at least 21 years old, you’ll be able to play on the platform.
How Do I Join NC Sports Betting Sites?
Joining an NC sports betting site is an easy process. Follow these steps to complete the registration process:
- Read through our hands-on review of sports betting if you have concerns or questions.
- Choose your preferred sportsbook.
- Click on “Get Bonus" to access the sportsbook’s landing page.
- Input your personal information, such as name and address, as you sign up.
- Deposit funds into your account.
- Place your bets.
How To Fund My Account
Whether you want to make a deposit or withdraw your winnings, funding your account at an online sportsbook is an easy process.
There are a number of deposit methods available at each site. Below you’ll find some of the more popular options.
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover)
- Play+ Cards
While there are fewer withdrawal options compared to deposits, but there are still enough to keep it as a convenient process.
Why Should I Join a North Carolina Betting Site?
Here is why you should join a North Carolina betting site:
- Each legal sportsbook is regulated to make sure that it’s safe and secure.
- There are fair odds that align with the rest of the betting market.
- You’ll find useful promotions and welcome bonuses to help build your bankroll.
- Legal operators have mobile apps that optimize the user experience.
- Customer support is easily accessible and available on multiple platforms.
- Financial transactions are processed efficiently.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
Be sure to avoid offshore sportsbooks for these reasons:
- They are illegal and unregulated.
- Financial transactions can be slow to process.
- There are fewer banking methods.
- Customer support isn’t as easily accessible.
- Odds may be overpriced compared to other sites.
- There isn’t a mobile app available for offshore sportsbooks.
- You’ll find fewer promotions here.
How to Download a North Carolina Betting App
Once you’ve signed up for an account, you can place your wagers from the comfort of your mobile device.
You’ll find the instructions on how to download a North Carolina betting app below, whether you’re on an iOS or Android device:
- Go to the Apple Store (iOS) or Google Play (Android).
- Search for your preferred sportsbook.
- Select the app and click “Install."
- Make sure your location is on.
- Place your wagers.
Please note that if you can’t find the sportsbook app at the Apple Store or Google Play, you may have to download it on the actual sportsbook website.
What Sports Can I Bet on in North Carolina?
You can bet on several sports in North Carolina, including the following:
- Football (NFL, NCAA)
- Basketball (NBA, WNBA, NCAA)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
- Mixed Martial Arts (UFC)
There are also other options on niche sports, such as:
- Table Tennis
North Carolina has a few betting restrictions that are worth noting, such as the following:
- No wagers are available on high school sports or political elections.
However, unlike other states, North Carolina does allow you to bet on local college sports teams.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
You can bet on these local sports teams in North Carolina:
- Carolina Panthers (NFL)
- Carolina Hurricanes (NHL)
- Charlotte Hornets (NBA)
- Charlotte FC (MLS)
- North Carolina Tar Heels (NCAA)
- North Carolina State Wolfpack (NCAA)
Bet Types Available
Here are the bet types that you’ll find at North Carolina sportsbooks:
- Moneyline: Pick a favorite or underdog to win the game.
- Point Spread: Choose a favorite to win by more than the point spread (winning margin) or an underdog to win outright or lose by fewer than the point spread.
- Totals: Bet Over or Under the assigned combined score for a full game, quarter, half, or period.
- Props: Wager on an outcome related to a specific player (ex. yards), team (ex. points), or game (ex. total three-pointers).
- Live Betting: Place a bet on an outcome after the game has already started. This is also referred to as an in-game wager.
- Futures: These are props that are settled at the end of the season, such as championship team, most valuable player award, and more.
- Parlays: This is a single bet composed of several wagers, where the return on investment is higher. The catch is that you need to win every leg within your parlay to hit your bet.
North Carolina Retail Sportsbooks
You’ll find the following retail sportsbooks in North Carolina. These are locations where you can place a wager in person.
- Harrah’s Cherokee Casino Resort (Cherokee, NC)
- Harrah’s Cherokee Valley River Casino (Murphy, NC)
- Catawba Two Kings Casino (Kings Mountain, NC)
We can expect to see more options become available in the near future.
Can I Play at Online Casinos in NC?
You are currently unable to play at online casinos in North Carolina as of June 2023.
When Did NC Sports Betting Become Legal?
Sports betting officially became legal in North Carolina on July 26, 2019, but that was in a retail capacity. Online wagering is expected to become operational in January 2024.
Below you’ll find a timeline of important dates within NC sports betting.
NC Sports Betting Timeline
- May 2018 - The U.S. Supreme Court repeals the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act, allowing each state to set up sports betting laws.
- July 2019 - NC Governor Roy Cooper signs a bill that legalizes sports betting within the state. It allows sports wagering to take place on tribal land.
- June 2023 - House Bill 347 has passed through the process, finalized by Gov. Cooper. This legalizes online sports betting within NC. It is expected to launch in January 2024.