The Open Championship has finally arrived on our schedules, and in holding with tradition, the “Champion Golfer of the Year" will be crowned on Sunday afternoon once again.
Watching links golf always makes me nostalgic. This is where golf started, and there’s so much history on these courses.
Like all major championships, there are typically more prop bets sprinkled across the various sportsbooks, so we want to dive into them and pick our favorites this week.
Let’s get to it.
Open Championship Prop Bets
In addition to the below prop bets, you can get in on more action in our Open Championship Predictions & Best Bets.
Made Cut Parlay: Morikawa, Cameron Smith, Homa, Fleetwood (+135)
DraftKings Sportsbook • WAGER: 1 Unit
This feels like a nice bet to build the bankroll with this week and have some money in your hands to live bet the weekend with.
All four of these guys come in ranking 34th or better in my model this week and have a common stat that I’m looking at: strokes gained on approach. Morikawa has gained strokes putting in three consecutive events, and Fleetwood, Smith, and Homa have all been playing well the last couple of months.
Ryan Fox: Top 30 Finish (+200)
DraftKings Sportsbook • WAGER: 1 Unit
Talk about a guy who plays well on these links types of courses, and who has generally just been on a tear this season. Fox has played 16 total events between the DP World Tour and the PGA Tour this season, and in those events, he’s missed three cuts and been outside the top 30 only twice.
He’s also having a solid majors season this year, with a T23, a T26, and a T43. Fox doesn’t pop out at you from a statistics basis, but he plays well at these courses, and we saw that last week with a solid T12 finish at the Genesis Scottish Open.
Round 1 Leader: Scottie Scheffler (+2000)
DraftKings Sportsbook • WAGER: 0.5 Units
Scheffler leads the PGA Tour this season in Round 1 scoring average, and with him teeing off early at 9:45 a.m. BST, there is an avenue to him scooting out in front of the rest of the pack.
Best Open Championship Prop Betting Sites
How Open Championship Prop Betting Works
Props are bets that relate to player-specific performances. It’s a market that works well with golf because there are so many choices, such as choosing the tournament winner, taking a player to make the cut, and much more. It’s no different at The Open, where you can expect to see an assortment of selections at your favorite sportsbook.
Each prop will either have their own moneyline, which determines your potential payout. If it’s plus odds, that means you’ll win more than your stake, while minus odds is where your risk exceeds the payout. For example, you can take Rory McIlroy to win The Open at +900, which would pay $900 on a $100 wager. You may also take McIlroy to make the cut at -200, which would risk $200 to win $100.
It’s simple to understand and fun to play because there are so many outcomes at your disposal. You don’t even need to pick the winner of the tournament, you can get really in-depth and target specific holes as well.
Best Open Championship Prop Betting Sites
DraftKings originated as a daily fantasy sports provider before expanding to the sports betting scene. It’s now considered one of the premier options, often one of the first operators to set up shop in new markets.
From a sleek interface to an assortment of useful promotions, DraftKings has plenty of perks to make it an appealing betting site. You’ll notice that this sportsbook has one of the more expansive selections of props.
This works out great for golf betting, especially with such a huge tournament like The Open.
FanDuel was the leader in the daily fantasy sports space before venturing into iGaming and becoming the most popular sportsbook in the United States. You’ll want to make sure that you join this site.
They created Same Game Parlays, which have spread like wildfire throughout the industry. It allows you to combine multiple bet types for one larger wager and a chance at a higher payout.
Beyond this, you’ll find an accessible platform that caters to the needs to both beginners and veterans.
Caesars is a titan in the sports betting space, especially following the acquisition of William Hill in 2021. The European operator has helped make the Caesars platform even better.
You’ll enjoy some of the most lucrative welcome bonuses in the industry here. There is also an unmatched VIP Rewards System that enables users to accumulate points that can be exchanged for cool perks like hotel accommodations and fine dining reservations.
There will certainly be a number of odds boosts related to The Open at Caesars, giving you more value on your bets.
BetMGM carries the reputable brand of MGM Resorts, making you feel at ease when depositing funds into your account. To make things even better, there are several banking methods to make it a convenient process.
You’ll find a comprehensive selection of props at BetMGM, especially since it’s partnered with the PGA Tour. There are novelty props like “Nationality of Winner" among other choices.
There also is a detailed live-betting platform that offers live streaming on selected events.
PointsBet has been able to establish a presence in the United States, even though it originated on the other side of the world in Australia. The reason for this is simple: innovation.
The site has created its own bet type, known as “PointsBetting." This allows users to win more money if their bet has a larger winning margin and vice versa if it loses. It’s an intense and thrilling form of betting.
The site has a sleek aesthetic to give it an engaging look and make it easier to navigate, helping to optimize the experience.
bet365 calls itself “The World’s Favorite Sportsbook," and quite honestly, it lives up to this name. The site is renowned for its accessible platform and robust betting markets.
This is no different in golf, where you’ll find several bet types to target. The site offers flexibility with Same Game Parlays, which is also helpful. You even have a chance to make live bets on props.
Beyond that, the customer support team is helpful and there are also good promos. Be sure to use bet365.
How To Pick the Best Open Championship Prop Betting Sites
Before diving into betting, you need to choose the best sportsbooks for The Open props. Here are some of the important factors to consider:
- Odds: The odds should align with the rest of the market. You don’t want to be paying inflated prices for your preferred selections. You also don’t want to have reduced odds for some of your favorite longshots. The odds should be favorable to the user.
- Markets: You want to have several options when placing your props bets, beyond choosing the outright winner. You should be able to take your favorite golfers to finish in the Top 5-20 along with other novelty props like the nationality of the winner and more. The saying “The more, the merrier" rings true here.
- Boosts: Odds boosts are helpful because they enhance the moneyline on selected outcomes, giving you more value on your wagers. For example, Jon Rahm could be boosted from +1100 to +1400 to win The Open. That extra +300 is $300 more potential winnings on a $100 bet, so it makes a difference.
- Welcome Bonus: While every sportsbook is vying for your participation by enticing you with welcome bonuses, some are better than others. First deposit bonuses are preferred because you get bet credits immediately. You want your bonus to have lower wagering requirements so that you can convert the credits into withdrawable cash quickly.
Open Championship Prop Betting Promotions
The Open is one of the most anticipated tournaments on the PGA Tour calendar, so you’ll be sure to find several promotions that cater to this event across the industry.
We’ve mentioned odds boosts on specific golfers, which is likely to be the most common promo that you’ll see. You can enjoy a bump in value by taking a boost like Scottie Scheffler to win the tournament at +1500 instead of +1200.
There may also be Bet & Get offers, where you are provided with bet credits as a welcome offer simply for placing your first wager on The Open. You may see something like “Bet $50+ on The Open, Get $100 in bet credits." This is helpful to build your bankroll.
Make sure that you always take a look at our Promotions page because this will keep you informed on the latest offers.
Best Open Championship Prop Bets
Props are fun and can be profitable, as long as you target the best bets. Here is a list of the preferred choices:
- Outright Winner: Choose a golfer to win the tournament.
- Top Finishes: Pick your player to finish in the Top 5, Top 10, Top 20, and more.
- Match Play: Select one of three golfers in a grouping to finish with the best score.
- Make the Cut: Target a golfer to make it past the cut, which is when the player pool gets reduced after the second round.
There are other enjoyable props like “Nationality of the Winner" along with specific bets on each hole, but these are harder to win. Stick to outcomes that are easier to project, like the
Open Championship Prop Betting Strategy
It’s important to put together a prop betting strategy because having a defined process will help you be more successful in the long run. Let’s dive right in.
The first thing you should do is pick your favorite golfer to win the tournament. Consider how they’ve performed in recent events as well as how their style will play at this specific course. Some golfers thrive in certain environments, while others may have more of a challenge. This is a key factor when selecting one of your potential outright winners.
It’s difficult to pick the winner, so you want to choose at least three. You can wager more units on your favorite and fewer on a longshot. From here, you can add more stake on betting their finish within the tournament. Take the player with the lower odds to finish higher. For example, if you take Rory McIlroy (top favorite) at +900, you want to take him to finish in the Top 10, rather than say the Top 40, since the odds will be too expensive.
Here’s a breakdown of how you can allocate your bankroll:
- Rory McIlroy to win +900 (1 unit) & finish Top 10 (3 units)
- Jordan Spieth to win +2200 (0.5 unit) & finish Top 20 (2 units)
- Louis Oosthuizen to win +3500 (0.25 unit) & finish Top 20 (1 unit)
We see here that we’ve put more money on our top choice and fewer on our longshots.
This is my preferred method of attacking golf props, but if you want to also add in novelty picks like “hole-in-one" picks or specific hole bets, go for it. However, I recommend risking less on these wagers because they are more challenging to win.
Benefits of Open Championship Prop Betting Online
There are numerous benefits involved with placing a prop bet online, such as:
- You get to place a wager from your personal device instead of venturing to the in-person sportsbook.
- Betting online means you have easy access to a wealth of information to guide your selection.
- There are numerous welcome bonuses to add bet credits to your bankroll.
- You can take advantage of live betting by finding value, which is something you can’t do in person.
- The customer support team is easy to reach, resolving any potential issues efficiently.
- There are promos such as odds boosts that can add value to your picks.
How to Place a The Open Prop Bet Online
Placing a prop bet on The Open is easy, just follow these steps:
- Click one of our links or use our promo code when registering for an account.
- Type in your personal information, including your name and address.
- Activate the welcome bonus.
- Choose “Golf" or “PGA Tour" and “The Open" to navigate to this specific tournament.
- Select your preferred prop and add it to your Bet Slip.
- Input your desired stake to see potential winnings.
- Place your bets!
Where Can I Legally Bet on The Open Championship Online?
Here is a list of states where you can legally place an online bet on The Open:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New York
- Rhode Island
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
Choose More Than One Open Championship Prop Betting Site
Be sure to choose more than one prop betting site for The Open. Here’s why:
- You can shop for the best bets by comparing odds among different sportsbooks.
- Take advantage of multiple welcome bonuses to stack your balance with bet credits.
- Try to max out each offer because these are only available once.
- Enjoy the best of what each site has to offer, as each platform specializes in something specific.
- Some are great for welcome bonuses, others have a huge selection of props.
When placing your bets on multiple platforms, you are optimizing the user experience and putting yourself in a better position for a profitable venture.