The Sunshine State is on track for the legalization and launch of Florida online sports betting. The state agreed with the Seminole Tribe on a gaming compact, which was approved by the state legislature in May 2021. It is now under federal review, which has led to optimism that sports betting can be operational in Florida by the end of the year.
There are some detractors, however, as Miami Beach Mayor Dan Gelber sent a letter to Governor Ron DeSantis in June, requesting that he reject this compact. Still, the approval of the state legislature indicates that it’s only a matter of time before sports betting is legal in Florida.
Can I Bet on Sports in Florida?
You are currently unable to bet in the state of Florida, but there is optimism that sports betting will be operational by the end of the year.
Do I Have to be a Resident of Florida to Bet Online?
When betting does launch in Florida, you won’t need to be a Florida resident, but you will need to be residing in the state of Florida at the time of your bet. Sportsbooks use geolocation to detect if you are in Florida at the time of your bet.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in Florida?
Florida residents must be at least 21 years of age to legally engage in online sports betting.
Why Should I Join a Florida Betting Site?
- Every sportsbook will be regulated and licensed by the Florida Gaming Control Commission.
- Using online sportsbooks allows your to place a bet within your own home or wherever else you may choose to bet.
- Florida’s sportsbooks will provide fair and consistent betting markets.
- Each sportsbook will offer a wide variety of promotions and welcome bonuses.
- Any potential issues will be resolved by timely and helpful customer service.
- There will no longer be any reason to use risky offshore sportsbooks, as legal sportsbooks will be available.
Why to Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Offshore sportsbooks are unregulated and therefore are not reliable and are held to lower standards.
- It is against the law for these sportsbooks to process financial transactions.
- Bettors may be made to convert their money to cryptocurrency to wager and overcome the illegal process.
- Fewer payment methods, as these sportsbooks cannot operate in the United States.
- Most reputable credit and debit card companies will often deny payments to offshore sportsbooks.
- Payments will appear under a disguised name on your credit card statement.
- Limited customer support and regulations will make it difficult to resolve any issues.
- Fewer promotions and betting options compared to legal sportsbooks.
Florida Sports Betting Sites
When sports betting launches in Florida, we can reasonably project the following sportsbooks to become operational within the state:
Hard Rock Sportsbook
Hard Rock sportsbook is currently operational in the state of New Jersey, launching there in early 2021.
Since the Seminole Tribe operates the Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Florida, we can expect the brand to operate within the Sunshine State. Hard Rock offers competitive odds, useful promotions and solid betting options.
DraftKings is one of the most popular names in the industry. In addition to daily fantasy, DraftKings also operates a popular sportsbook. It is likely to be available for the first time with the legalization of sports betting, as this has also allowed for operations of daily fantasy sports within the state.
DraftKings is a convenient option, as users can access both daily fantasy and sports betting with the same account.
Like DraftKings, FanDuel is a popular sportsbook that also offers daily fantasy. We can project it to be available within Florida.
It provides similar options to DraftKings, including the option to have your sports betting and daily fantasy on the same account.
BetMGM has become another leading sportsbook in the industry, currently available in 11 states and districts: Colorado, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Nevada, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington D.C.
It offers competitive lines, as well as great promotions and welcome bonuses. We can project it to open up in Florida due to its increasing expansion across the country.
Caesars Sports is available in three states: Nevada, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania. They offer rewards that can be redeemed at their hotels, restaurants, and bars.
Bally Bet is currently operating in Colorado and Iowa. They offer rewards for your betting through the use of “trophies” for various achievements.
William Hill is one of the most well-known names in the sports betting industry, as it has been operating since 1989. The mobile app features a user-friendly interface, and the company offers timely customer support.
WynnBet is available in six states: Colorado, Indiana, Michigan, New Jersey, Tennessee, and Virginia. What makes it unique is its inclusion of an online casino in addition to its wide array of sports betting options.
Like WynnBet, Unibet also has many promotions available for its online casino, which helps separate itself from other sportsbooks within the industry that only offer sports betting.
BetRivers is now operating in eight states: Colorado, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.
This sportsbook features an in-depth rewards system to provide bettors with more value in their wagers.
How Do I Join Florida Sports Betting Sites?
Once sports betting is legalized in Florida, you can follow the steps below to join one of the sports betting websites:
- After choosing a sportsbook, click on one of our “Get Bonus” or “Claim Now” buttons to receive your bonus.
- Fill out the registration (includes name, address, photo ID, email).
- Be sure to include one of our promo codes if you found the site on your own and are accessing it without a different code.
- Complete the signup process by accepting the terms of service, which will trigger your bonus.
- Check your email to ensure your signup has been confirmed.
- Choose your preferred banking method and make your first deposit.
- If receiving a deposit match bonus, both your money and the bonus will show up in your account.
- Start betting!
How To Fund My Account
It’s an easy process to fund your account online. Florida will make it quick and easy to deposit funds and withdraw winnings.
Depositing is an easy process regardless of your experience with a given sportsbook:
- Click “Deposit” or “Add Funds" to get started.
- Choose your preferred banking method and enter the amount you’d like to have in your account.
- Don’t forget to enter your password if using a service like PayPal.
- The site will verify the process, and the change will be visible in your deposit.
- Ensure you received a confirmation email from the sportsbook before placing a bet.
The withdrawal process is quick and easy. You can find the steps below:
- Click “Withdraw” on the sportsbook desktop or mobile app.
- Choose a method of withdrawal.
- Enter the amount you want to take out.
- If using an eWallet such as PayPal, you will need to type in your password to complete the transaction.
- Your balance will reflect the withdrawal and you will receive an email confirmation.
Each sportsbook offers a multitude of options to suit your needs, whether you are looking to add or take out funds. The money will be deposited into your account right away, allowing you to place your wager right away. Typically, withdrawals will be processed within 24-48 hours depending on the sportsbook.
Some of the deposit options include:
- Credit/Debit Cards
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
While there are fewer withdrawal options than with deposits, there are still enough options to make the process timely and efficient:
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
- Cash At Casino Cage
How to Download a Florida Betting App
Downloading sportsbook apps to your phone/mobile device are quick and easy. Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap “Install” and wait for the app to download
What Sports Can I Bet on in Florida?
Sports bettors in Florida will be able to place a wager on any of the options provided by the eligible sportsbooks that are operational in the state. You won’t need to worry about missing on a potential bet that is only available in another state. The list of options includes:
- Football (NFL, NCAAF)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAAB)
- Horse Racing
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
Florida Betting Restrictions
Prop betting on all collegiate events will be restricted in the state of Florida once sports betting is permitted.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
NCAA Basketball and Football:
- Florida Gators
- Miami Hurricanes
- Florida State Seminoles
- Florida A&M Rattlers & Lady Rattlers
- Florida Atlantics Owls
- Florida Gulf Coast Eagles
- North Florida Ospreys
- South Florida Bulls
- Stetson Hatters
- UCF Knights
- Jacksonville Dolphins
- Bethune-Cookman Wildcats
- FIU Panthers
Major Professional Sports Teams:
- Florida Panthers (NHL)
- Miami Dolphins (NFL)
- Miami Heat (NBA)
- Miami Marlins (MLB)
- Orlando Magic (NBA)
- Tampa Bay Buccaneers (NFL)
- Tampa Bay Lightning (NHL)
- Tampa Bay Rays (MLB)
- Inter Miami CF (MLS)
- Orlando City SC (MLS)
- Jacksonville Jaguars (NFL)
Bet Types Available
Each team in a game has a moneyline, which determines the risk and reward on a given wager. For example, if the Reds are favored to defeat the Pirates with a moneyline of (-150), you would risk $15.00 to win $10.00.
On the other hand, if you bet on the Pirates in that same game at (+180), you would risk $10.00 to win $18.00. Moneyline bets only require your chosen team to win the game for your bet to be successful. The amount of points/runs your team wins by does not matter when it comes to moneyline betting.
Each game also has a point spread, though this may be referred to as a different name depending on the sport. For example, if the Browns are favored by -9.5 against the Bengals, that means the Browns need to win by 10 or more points for you to win your bet.
If you chose the Bengals at +9.5, you would win if the Bengals lost by 9 or less or if they won outright. Point spreads are known as run lines in baseball and puck lines in hockey.
In this case, if you bet on the Padres -2.5 over the Diamondbacks, that means you need them to win by 3 runs. If you bet on the Diamondbacks at +2.5, you win if they win outright or lose by 2. You can find point spreads in soccer and basketball as well.
Each game is assigned a total of runs, goals, or points, depending on the sport you’re betting on. You need to bet on the over or under.
For example, if I bet the over on 48.5 points in a game between the Seahawks and Colts, I need the two teams to combine for 49 or more points in order to win. There are also team totals, where you bet over or under on how much a team will score. Naturally, these totals are smaller than game totals.
Prop bets allow you to bet on a specific player’s stats for a single game or over a certain time period. For example, if I bet on over 24.5 points scored for LeBron James, I need him to score at least 25 points. Prop bets have increased in popularity due to fantasy sports, and there are often a wide variety available for each event.
Live betting is when you bet on a game after it has already started. These markets are constantly updated throughout the game based on the latest developments. For example, let’s say you wager on the Penguins at (-150) to beat the Flyers, but the Flyers score the first goal. You can now bet on the Penguins to win at a reduced price, even if they entered the game as heavy favorites.
A futures bet is when you place a bet on a result that won’t be decided until some point in the future. These are typically things that are decided after the season, like individual awards or season outcomes. You can bet on team futures like division winners, conference winners, champions, season win totals, and much more. You can also bet on player futures like season awards, total stats, and many others.
A parlay is when you put together multiple bets for a larger payout. You need to win each of your bets in order to win money from your parlay, which is easier said than done, but the reward is much nicer. For example, if I parlay Pacers -5.5 with Lakers +4.5, and Heat -8.5, I need to hit on each of these bets in order to win money. This is a good way to maximize your winnings if you’re feeling especially confident about multiple games.
Florida Sportsbook List
It’s unclear if physical sportsbooks will be available once gambling has launched in the state of Florida. However, the Seminole Tribe operates the Hard Rock Casino in Hollywood, Florida.
Given that state legislators approved a deal between the Seminoles and the state government, it seems likely that a physical sportsbook will be operated at the Hard Rock Casino. We can expect this to be Hard Rock Sportsbook.
Other potential physical sportsbook can be expected at the following locations:
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, Hollywood
- Hard Rock Hotel & Casino, Tampa
- Seminole Casino, Coconut Creek
- Seminole Classic Casino, Hollywood
- Seminole Casino Hotel, Immokalee
- Seminole Casino Brighton, Okeechobee
Can I Play at Online Casinos in Florida?
It is unclear if you can play at online casinos once sports betting has launched.
When Did Florida Sports Betting Become Legal?
Sports betting has not yet launched in Florida, but it’s only a matter of time before those residing in Florida will be able to place a wager at a legal sportsbook.
Florida Sports Betting Timeline
- 2018: The Seminole supported the passage of Amendment 3, which prohibits the legislature from approving new casino gambling. This meant that state legislators had to work with the Seminoles before legalizing sports betting in Florida.
- 2019: The state needed to renegotiate the gaming compact with the Seminole tribe
- 2020: Senator Jeff Brandes filed a bill to authorize the Florida Lottery to regulate sports betting without the inclusion of the Seminoles tribe. Brandes’ bill did not get approved. The Seminoles fought to make sure that they were involved in sports betting within the state.
- 2021: The state of Florida agrees with the Seminole tribe on a new compact that includes mobile betting. It was approved by the state legislature in May. It is currently being reviewed by the federal government.