Online sports betting is available in Puerto Rico! BetMGM has launched in PR and we can expect more sportsbooks to set up shop in the near future. Let’s dive in to provide an in-depth explanation of the online sports betting market in Puerto Rico.
Sports betting has finally arrived in Puerto Rico! This is a territory with over three million residents, which would rank 34th among states, making it a moderately sized market. Add on another couple million more tourists per year and you have an enticing opportunity for sports betting operators.
BetMGM has already set up shop with a live sportsbook at Casino del Mar. DraftKings is on its way with its own physical location at Foxwoods El San Juan Casino. FanDuel is affiliated with CAGE and will be entering the fray in the foreseeable future. Online betting is coming to Puerto Rico soon.
Let’s explore more to provide you with everything you need to know about the Puerto Rico online sports betting market, including a list of sportsbooks already operational and a projection of which might be coming soon.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in Puerto Rico?
Yes, online sports betting became legal in Puerto Rico on November 8, 2021, when the Puerto Rico Gaming Commission (PRGC) provided request forms for sportsbooks looking to enter the market. As of February 11, 2022, BetMGM partnered with Casino del Mar after being licensed by the PRGC, making it the first operator in the region. DraftKings and FanDuel will follow.
Each component of online sports betting is tested and regulated, including odds, website efficiency, promotional offers, and banking methods. There are several deposits and withdrawal methods that are properly vetted, so you can always feel secure with your funds at an online sportsbook.
The PRGC will regulate any operators that enter the fray in the region. While BetMGM is the only sportsbook currently available, we can project several more to capitalize on this market.
When are Online Sportsbooks Launching in Puerto Rico?
BetMGM currently has a physical location in Puerto Rico, online sports betting has not gotten off the ground yet. However, BetMGM has already secured licensing, so their online platform should be operational in short order.
We can project some of the other major operators to join in on the fun soon, including FanDuel and DraftKings.
Sportsbooks Live in Puerto Rico
- BetMGM Sportsbook
Sportsbooks Projected in Puerto Rico
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
What Online Sportsbooks are Coming to Puerto Rico?
In February 2022, the Puerto Rico Gaming Commission granted a license to BetMGM, allowing the operator to establish a physical sportsbook at Casino del Mar. Once the online platform becomes operational, players must register in person at the casino. DraftKings will also open up an in-person sportsbook at Foxwoods El San Juan Casino.
BetMGM Sportsbook PR
- Retail Partner: Casino del Mar
- New Player Offer: Risk-Free Bet up to $1,000
- Full review: BetMGM Sportsbook
- Launch Date: February 11, 2022
BetMGM was created out of a partnership between MGM Resorts and Entain Holdings, emerging as one of the top operators in the United States. They currently have a physical sportsbook located at Casino del Mar in La Concha Resort in San Juan, Puerto Rico, positioning the operator to have a significant market share within the region.
The site boasts an assortment of betting markets along with weekly promotions to put you in the best position to succeed in this venture. There is an expansive live betting platform with live streaming available on selected events. The welcome bonus is among the most lucrative in the industry, allowing you to build your bankroll with a risk-free bet.
Once the site is operational, bettors will have to register for an account at the physical sportsbook before they can place a wager. There will be multiple banking methods to choose from, making the payment process more convenient. BetMGM is a leader in the sports betting space, so both Puerto Ricans and tourists alike should be happy to have it available!
DraftKings Sportsbook PR
- Retail Partner: Foxwoods El San Juan Casino
- New Player Offer: First-Deposit Bonus up to $1,000
- Full review: DraftKings Sportsbook
- Launch Date: TBD
DraftKings started off as a daily fantasy sports platform before evolving into one of the top operators in the country. They are affiliated with Foxwoods El San Juan Casino. There will be a physical sportsbook located within the casino in the near future. We can expect DraftKings to become one of the leaders in sports betting in Puerto Rico.
The site features a comprehensive selection of betting markets, including dozens of player props and futures that may not be available on other platforms. They have a user-friendly app that really optimizes the betting experience. Their first deposit bonus is a great way to start off your sports betting venture.
DraftKings users will need to register for an account at Foxwoods El San Juan Casino before placing bets online. This will be an easy process where you simply need to provide some of your personal information, such as name, address, and more. You’ll always feel safe and secure working with a reputable brand like DraftKings.
FanDuel Sportsbook PR
- Retail Partner: CAGE
- New Player Offer: Risk-Free Bet up to $1,000
- Full review: FanDuel Sportsbook
- Launch Date: TBD
FanDuel was a pioneer in the daily fantasy sports industry before becoming the most popular sportsbook in the United States. They have formed a partnership with CAGE, a company that operates video lottery and video gaming terminals among other sports betting gaming systems throughout the Caribbean.
The site created Same Game Parlays, which allows users to combine outcomes from the same event into a larger bet for higher payouts. This has become one of the most popular bet types in the industry and other sportsbooks have incorporated it into their platform. FanDuel also has a sleek interface that gives it an engaging look.
You’ll find everything you need as a sports bettor at FanDuel, from useful promotions to robust bet type selections and multiple banking methods. There’s a reason why it’s grown to be the premier sportsbook in the country. The site offers a user experience that is virtually unmatched across the industry.
Who is Eligible for Puerto Rico Sportsbook Account?
There are a few regulations pertaining to eligibility for registration within the legal online sports betting space. These rules are similar to the ones imposed on any visitors to retail casinos.
Do I Have to be a Resident of PR to Bet Online?
You don’t have to be a resident of Puerto Rico to bet online, you just need to be physically located within the region at the time of your wager. Once BetMGM starts its online platform, you will have to go to Casino del Mar and register for an account, then you can place a wager from your laptop or mobile device anywhere in Puerto Rico.
These betting sites can identify your location using the GPS on your mobile device. If you’re using a computer, you will be required to download a plugin so that your location can be verified.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in PR?
The legal betting age is 18 years old in Puerto Rico. There is a secure vetting process that verifies that you are of legal age to place a wager. You’ll need to provide some personal information, such as your name, address, and more.
Don’t worry though, as this is an easy process that is completed on a secure server. Your personal information won’t be shared with any employees of the sportsbook.
How Do I Join PR Sports Betting Sites?
Registering for an account at a sports betting site is easy. All you need to do is provide your personal information and wait until the site verifies you and you’re ready to place your bets.
Be mindful of any welcome bonuses before creating a new account because these are lucrative offers that can help build your bankroll. Here at The Game Day, we’re able to get you the best new-player offers through our exclusive partnerships with each of the top operators. Simply follow the steps below.
- Determine your preferred sportsbook.
- Click “Get Bonus" to be taken to the landing page, where you can register for an account.
- Here’s where you can enter our promo code to ensure that you get the best offer.
- You’ll be verified quickly, just wait for a confirmation e-mail.
- Choose your banking method, deposit funds, and you’re ready to go!
You’re also able to download the sportsbook app from either the Apple Store or Google Play. Sometimes the app isn’t available there, in which case you can get to the mobile site on your phone and download it from there. You log in with the same username and password that you used to create an account at the site.
How To Fund My Account
Online sportsbooks make it convenient for you by providing multiple banking methods, whether you want to deposit or withdraw funds. While these options vary by site, you’ll find some of the most common options listed below.
Each operator has a robust selection of deposit methods. You’re able to check if your preferred choice is available at the site before creating an account. Deposits are instantly reflected in your account balance, but they may take 24-48 hours to show up in your bank statement.
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Play+ Cards
- Prepaid Cards
While there are fewer withdrawal methods compared to deposits, you’ll still have enough options to make this an efficient process, such as:
- Cash At Casino Cage
- Check By Mail
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
Why Should I Join a Puerto Rico Betting Site?
While online sportsbooks are not yet operational in Puerto Rico, you should definitely sign up for an account once they become operational. You’ll find a list of reasons why betting online is the way to go outlined below:
- Each betting site is licensed and regulated by the Puerto Rico Gaming Commission.
- The sportsbooks are vetted to make sure that it’s a secure platform for both your personal information and funds.
- Betting online is extremely convenient, as you can place a wager in the comfort of your home or while out and about.
- The odds are fair and align with the rest of the market, so you won’t have to worry about paying inflated prices.
- There are lucrative new-player offers that provide you with bet credits upon joining.
- You’ll also find useful promotions that give you more value on your wagers.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
Offshore sportsbooks need to be avoided at all costs for the following reasons:
- They are illegal and unregulated, so it’s hard to feel secure using this platform.
- You won’t have as many banking options and could be pushed to use cryptocurrencies.
- The process is shady, as your withdrawals come up as hidden identities on your bank statements.
- Customer support is unreliable and available on fewer platforms.
- You won’t have as many bet types or betting markets.
- Offshore sportsbooks don’t have their own mobile apps.
- It’s hard to trust them to actually pay you.
How to Download a Puerto Rico Betting App
After you’ve signed up at a site, you’re able to download their mobile app, allowing you to place your wagers while on the go.
Downloading the app is easy, just follow the steps below.
- Access the Apple Store
- Select your preferred sportsbook
- Click “Download"
- Log in to your account
- Place your bets
- Go to Google Play
- Search for the betting app that you want
- Download the app
- Put in your username and password to log in
- You’re ready to bet
If you’re not able to find the app at either of the stores, you can download it from the actual betting site.
What Sports Can I Bet on in Puerto Rico?
Betting markets can vary by sportsbook but below you’ll find the most popular sports available.
- Baseball (MLB)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAA)
- Football (NFL, NCAA)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Mixed Martial Arts (UFC)
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
Betting restrictions are limited to amateur sports in Puerto Rico. While residents or visitors can wager on college sports, they can’t place bets on high school athletics.
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
There aren’t any local sports teams to bet on in Puerto Rico, but below you’ll find some popular teams that residents tend to cheer for:
- New York Giants
- New York Jets
- New York Knicks
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Mets
- New York Yankees
- New York Rangers
- New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC
- New York Liberty
- Los Angeles Lakers
- Los Angeles Dodgers
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: Choose the favorite or underdog to win the game, regardless of the final score. The favorite has minus odds (-), meaning you risk more than the payout. The underdog has plus odds (+), so your potential winnings exceeds your stake.
- Point Spread: Each game has a point spread, or assigned winning margin. The favorite is minus the points, meaning they must win by more than the spread. The underdog is plus the points, so you can win if they win outright or if they lose by fewer points than the assigned margin.
- Totals: The projected combined score in a given game. You select either Over or Under the assigned total. Totals can also be for teams, halves, and quarters.
- Props: Bet Over or Under on an outcome related to players or teams. Player props can be total points scored, home runs, goals, touchdowns, and more. Team props can be total sacks, shots, three-pointers, and more.
- Live Betting: These are in-game wagers with odds updated in real-time, depending on what has happened in the game. Bet types include moneyline, point spread, totals, and sometimes even player props.
- Futures: Outcomes settled at the end of the season. Each result is given plus or minus odds, depending on the implied probability. Examples include awards, total stats, season champion, division winner, and more.
- Parlays: A combination of two or more bets. You must win each selection in order to receive your payout. Parlays pay more than straight bets because they are more difficult to win.
Puerto Rico Retail Sportsbooks
You’re able to place a bet at the following retail sportsbooks in Puerto Rico. Each of these should be operational shortly and we can expect more to emerge as the market continues to grow.
- Casino del Mar (BetMGM)
- Foxwoods El San Juan (DraftKings)
Can I Play at Online Casinos in PR?
Online casinos are legal in Puerto Rico, so we can expect each legal sportsbook to have this addition on their websites.
When Did PR Sports Betting Become Legal?
Once the Supreme Court removed the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) in May 2018, it opened the doors for sports betting across the United States.
From there, Puerto Rican Senator Jose Nadal Powers brought up Senate Resolution 756 to explore legal sports betting and its potential benefits.
In November 2018, Representative Nestor Alonso Vega put forth two forms of legislation with the goal of legalizing sports betting in Puerto Rico. Vega stated that it could bring approximately $20 million in tax revenue annually.
Sports betting was ultimately legalized in July 2019 after the Senate and House of Representatives approved House Resolution 2038 (HR 2038), allowing both physical and online betting within Puerto Rico.
On November 8, 2021, the Puerto Rico Gaming Commission (PRGC) provided request forms for operators to start conducting business within the region.
BetMGM has been licensed by the PRGC as of February 11, 2022, allowing it to set up shop with a physical sportsbook at Casino del Mar. DraftKings and FanDuel are awaiting licensing but will enter the fray in the near future. Online sports betting is coming soon.
PR Sports Betting Timeline
- May 2018: Supreme Court strikes down PASPA
- Summer/Fall 2018: Senate Resolution 756 is brought up by Senator Jose Nadal Powers
- November 2018: Representative Nestor Alonso Vega brings up legislation for sports betting
- July 2019: Sports betting is legalized in Puerto Rico
- November 2021: PRGC submits request forms for operators to enter the fray
- February 2022: BetMGM is licensed by the PRGC
- Coming Soon: DraftKings will have a physical sportsbook at Foxwoods El San Juan Casino. FanDuel will enter the region as well, as they’re affiliated with CAGE.