After years of speculation and close calls, online sports betting is live in New York. With over 20 million residents, New York represents the largest legal online sports betting market in the US. DraftKings, FanDuel, BetRivers, and Caesars launched on January 8, followed by BetMGM on January 17.
Let’s dive right in to everything you need to know about New York’s online sports betting market, including which sportsbooks have launched and which are coming, what new player offers are available, and when you can start placing your bets.
Is Online Sports Betting Legal in New York?
Yes! Online sports betting is legal in New York as of January 8, 2022. All aspects of all legal sportsbooks need to pass rigorous testing standards in order to offer sports betting services within the borders of New York.
All aspects of the online sportsbook are tested including game fairness, betting efficiency, speed, promotional offers, lines, and of course that your money is kept safe and secure. Each individual banking option needs to be thoroughly vetted before being an option for deposits and withdrawals.
All New York online sportsbooks will have oversite from the New York Gaming Commission, the same entity that regulates all retail casinos in the state. The NYGC approved nine mobile sports betting licenses in November 2021, including some of the biggest names in sports betting in the US. This list includes DraftKings, FanDuel, BetMGM, Caesars, PointsBet, Rush Street, WynnBet, and BallyBet.
When are Online Sportsbooks Launching in New York?
Legal online sports betting officially launched in New York on January 8th, 2022, with the rollout of Caesars, FanDuel, DraftKings, and BetRivers. BetMGM and PointsBet launched later in the month and more are coming soon.
Sportsbooks Live in New York
- Caesars Sportsbook
- FanDuel Sportsbook
- DraftKings Sportsbook
- BetRivers Sportsbook
- BetMGM Sportsbook
- PointsBet Sportsbook
- WynnBet Sportsbook
Approved and Expected to Launch Soon
What Online Sportsbooks are Coming to New York?
In November 2021, the New York Gaming Commission approved several applications from online sportsbooks to operate in the state of New York.
Caesars Sportsbook NY
- Retail Partner: MSG
- New Player Offer: Risk-Free Bet of Up to $1500
- Full review: Caesars Sportsbook
- Launch Date: January 8, 2022
The best way to describe the initial launch of the Caesars online sportsbook was, well, adequate. Those days are in the past, as Caesars acquired William Hill, the oldest sportsbook in the world, bringing decades of experience in the Euro market and a whole new vibe to the Caesars platform.
Acquiring the William Hill platform not only brings a plethora of betting options, but Caesars is fully invested in becoming a powerhouse in the US online sports betting market. With this investment comes daily promotional offerings, including bet matches, odds boosts, bet insurance and more.
DraftKings Sportsbook NY
- Retail Partner: Del Lago Resort & Casino
- New Player Offer: 20% Deposit Bonus up to $1000
- Full review: DraftKings Sportsbook
- Launch Date: January 8, 2022
The Del Lago Resort & Casino in Seneca County has partnered with the self proclaimed “King of Sportsbooks” in order to bring the top-rated online sportsbook to the great state of New York. DraftKings was the first to go live in 2018 in New Jersey, and has shared the crown with rival FanDuel for the top two spots ever since.
They offer a wide variety of sports betting options, including props, moneyline, spreads, and alternative line bets. Live in-game betting is available on many events, and daily odds boosts and a ton of other promotional offers to keep you coming back for more.
BetRivers Sportsbook NY
- Retail Partner: Rivers Casino Schenectady County
- New Player Offer: Up to $250 Deposit Match
- Full review: BetRivers Sportsbook
- Launch Date: January 8, 2022
BetRivers and Rivers Casino are both owned and operated by Rush Street Interactive, so it was a no-brainer that BetRivers would be the online sportsbook attached to the retail casino when New York online sports betting went live. Already active in the majority of legal states, BetRivers is one of the top options for sports bettors in the US.
BetRivers gets their lines and pricing from Kambi and offers live streaming, a full range of betting options, lightning quick cashouts and stellar customer service. They are also home to the iRush Rewards system, where the more you bet, the more you earn in free bets, odds boosts, retail casino perks and more!
FanDuel Sportsbook NY
- Retail Partner: Tioga Downs
- New Player Offer: Bet $5, Get $200 Upon Qualifying Wager
- Full review: FanDuel Sportsbook
- Launch Date: January 8, 2022
When FanDuel made the transition from one of the top DFS providers to online sports betting, no one could have predicted how much of an impact they would have. FanDuel took the top spot and never looked back. There is good reason for this as they have one of the most user friendly apps, tons of promos, daily odds boosts and a ton of betting options.
Operating in every legal state, FanDuel is always among the first wave to go live. Expect FanDuel to do the same in New York.
BetMGM Sportsbook NY
- Retail Partner: MSG
- New Player Offer: Risk-Free Bet up to $1000
- Full review: BetMGM Sportsbook
- Launch Date: January 17, 2022
MGM is one of the most recognizable names in gambling throughout the world, so it is no surprise that their online sportsbook, BetMGM, has made such a big impact on the US sports betting market.
With an intuitive desktop sportsbook that mirrors the mobile app, BetMGM offers one of the biggest selection of prop betting options that pairs well with their full slate of standard bets and alternative lines for near every matchup.
PointsBet Sportsbook NY
- Retail Partner: Tioga Downs
- New Player Offer: $500 fixed odds risk-free bet + $1500 PointsBetting risk-free bet
- Full review: PointsBet Sportsbook
- Launch Date: January 25, 2022
The Australian-based bookmaker has made a splash in the US market with their exciting PointsBetting wagering. PointsBetting is a wild ride, and can only be described as a “spread bet on steroids.”
PointsBetting wagering puts your sports betting knowledge to the test as you are rewarded or punished for how right or wrong you are. For instance, if you picked Corey Davis O4.5 receptions and he has 7, your payout would be multiplied by those 2 extra receptions.
In addition to PointsBetting, PointsBet also offers all your standard betting options like moneyline, spreads totals, and more. The promotional schedule is also a key highlight, as you will be hard-pressed to find a bet that doesn’t have some type of promo attached.
Look for PointsBet to make some waves in the New York online betting scene.
WynnBet Sportsbook NY
- New Player Offer: Bet $50, Win $200
- Full review: WynnBet Sportsbook
- Launch Date: February 4, 2022
WynnBet was the first new sportsbook to launch outside of January, and New York became the eighth state where WynnBet went live.
The online sportsbook has partnerships with the New York Jets as well as NASCAR and other non-New York-based teams like the Detroit Lions and Memphis Grizzlies. The sportsbook carries the prestigious Wynn brand, which has been a U.S. casino titan for almost 20 years thanks to its flagship property on the Las Vegas strip.
BallyBet Sportsbook NY
- New Player Offer: 100% First Bet match up to $50
- Launch Date: Soon
BallyBet’s own website declares that New York will be the sixth state in which its online sports betting platform will be live. Although BallyBet gives no timetable for its service to be operational, reports indicate it is expected to go live in New York before the NFL season opens in September.
BallyBet is an official partner of MLB, NBA and NHL and currently is live in Arizona, Colorado, Iowa, Indiana and Virginia. It is the online betting arm of the famous Bally casino that has been a fixture nationwide for decades, as well as the Bally Sports regional-sports network that rebranded in 2021.
bet365 Sportsbook NY
- Retail Partner: Resorts World Catskills
- New Player Offer: Up to $500 Bet Match
- Full review: Bet365 Sportsbook
- Projected Launch Date: Soon
Resorts World Catskills in Sullivan County partners with Bet365, which already offers online sportsbooks in other states like New Jersey and internationally, with wagering on a wide range of sports, from baseball and basketball to esports and horse racing.
While Bet365 may not be a household name in the US, they will be bringing over two decades of experience to the Empire State. Bet365 have been pioneers in the sports betting realm, as they were one of the first to offer live betting, live streaming and a full arsenal of alternative betting lines in addition to the standard betting options.
Who is Eligible for New York Sportsbook Account?
There a just a few stipulations on who is eligible to sign up and place wagers in the legal and regulated online sports betting market. They are all similar to the rules that are in place for visiting any retail casino in the state.
Do I Have to be a Resident of NY to Bet Online?
The short answer is no. Online sports betting rules are based on where you are physically located, not where you live. So, if you find yourself visiting New York, or live in a neighboring state, you can register from home, make your first deposit, but in order to place a bet, you must have two feet firmly planted within the borders of New York.
You might be wondering how they will know if you are located in the state. The mobile app will use the GPS on your phone to locate you, and if you are betting on a computer, you will download a plugin that uses up to three available WiFi signals to triangulate your location.
What Is the Legal Betting Age in NY?
In order to signup for a new online sportsbook account, you will need to be at least 21 years of age. There is a secure identity verification process that takes place during the registration process, but don’t worry, it only takes a few minutes to complete the process. All personal information is run through a secure server and the employees of the sportsbook will never see any of your personal info.
How Do I Join NY Sports Betting Sites?
Signing up for a new sportsbook account is a breeze, and only takes a few minutes. Same as you would register for a new Amazon account (with a few extra steps), you just need to enter your information, get verified and you are good to go.
Before you go run off and start registering for a new account, its important to note that online sportsbooks often start you off with a lucrative new player offer. Through our exclusive partnerships with all the top sportsbooks, we are able to consistently get you the best new player offer when you follow the steps below.
- Find the best sportsbook for you in the list of sportsbooks above.
- Click on the “Get Bonus” button to be magically whisked away to the registration page.
- Each site will have their own process, but typically there will be a “register” or similar button.
- Enter your information and be sure to use the promo code GAMEDAY (or GAMEDAYCZR in Caesars’ case) when prompted to guarantee the best new player offer.
- The verification process should only take a few seconds
- Deposit funds and start betting
Once you are done with the registration process, that can be done either on your computer or browser on your phone, you can then download the sportsbook app from either the Apple App Store or Google Play store and log in with your new username and password.
How To Fund My Account
Online sportsbooks make it easy to deposit funds and withdraw winnings in other states in which sports betting is legal. Banking Options will vary by site, but the most popular options are listed below.
Each operator will have different payment methods, so check that your preferred payment method is available before signing up. Deposits are instant, but some options may take a day or two to clear your bank account.
- Credit/Debit Cards (Visa, AMEX, Mastercard, Discover)
- Prepaid Cards
- Play+ Cards
Compared to deposits, there are fewer options to withdraw funds, but there are still enough options out there:
- Cash At Casino Cage
- Play+ Prepaid Cards
- Check By Mail
Why Should I Join a New York Betting Site?
Here are some reasons why you should bet in New York:
- All legal sportsbooks in the state will be licensed and regulated by the New York Lottery.
- The betting sites will be audited to make sure your personal information and funds are safe and secure.
- It’s very convenient as you’ll be able to bet at home or on the go.
- Betting lines will be fair and consistent.
- Many sportsbooks offer welcome bonuses and promotions for joining.
Why Avoid Offshore Sportsbooks
- Offshore sportsbooks are illegal and unregulated.
- There are way fewer banking options and many are unsecured.
- You can’t trust that you’ll be paid.
- There are fewer betting options available.
- There are no online sports betting apps available, so it’s more inconvenient.
How to Download a New York Betting App
Once you are registered for a new account, and you want to place your bets on the go, downloading a sportsbook app to your phone is quick and easy.
Below is the step-by-step process for both iOS and Android:
- Go to the App Store
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Click on the app and click “Get”
- Confirm the installation with verification
- Wait for the app to download
- Open Google Play and use the Play Store app
- Search for the sportsbook of your choosing
- Tap Install and wait for the app to download
If you can’t find the app on the Play Store, you can download it directly from the official sportsbook website.
What Sports Can I Bet on in New York?
Below is a list of the most popular options for sports betting in New York. Each sportsbook has its own list of available betting markets:
- Football (NFL, NCAA)
- Basketball (NBA, NCAA)
- Baseball (MLB)
- Hockey (NHL)
- Motorsports (NASCAR, Formula 1)
- Mixed Martial Arts (UFC)
It is currently not possible to bet on some events, such as high school and youth sports, entertainment events such as the Oscars, or political elections, in New York.
Each sportsbook has its own rules and regulations, so not every betting site follows the same guidelines. There are, however, certain restrictions that all sports bettors must follow in the state of NY. Below are the following restrictions:
- Bettors may not wager on in-person college teams
- Bettors cannot wager on high school athletics
- Bettors cannot wager on events such as the Oscars
- Bettors cannot wager on political elections
Local Sports Teams to Bet on
The following teams are local to the state of New York:
- New York Giants
- New York Jets
- Buffalo Bills
- New York Knicks
- Brooklyn Nets
- New York Mets
- New York Yankees
- New York Islanders
- New York Rangers
- Buffalo Sabres
- New Jersey Devils
- New York Red Bulls
- New York City FC
- New York Liberty
Bet Types Available
- Moneyline: The moneyline is the most basic form of sports betting. It’s simply the bettor picking which team will win, balanced by the sportsbook’s odds that it will happen. The favorite will have a negative moneyline, while the underdog will have a positive moneyline.
- Point Spread: The margin of victory involved in betting Against The Spread (ATS). The bettor is wagering on the point margin between two teams.
- Totals: Also known as an Over/Under, is betting on a game or prop total for more (Over) or fewer (Under) than a sportsbook-designated total.
- Props: Bet on an item not directly involved with the score/result of a game. A prop could be a player’s total points scored, home runs hit, touchdowns scored, and it can be team totals like passing yards, three-pointers made, etc.
- Live Betting: Live betting allows a sports bettor to place wagers on games as they happen. The sportsbook will change the odds as the game progresses depending on what’s happening in the game.
- Futures: Betting on an event, statistic, or anything similar to occur after the end of a full event or season. An example of this would be betting on next year’s Super Bowl winner in the preseason.
- Parlays: A single bet that links together two or more individual wagers and is dependent on all of those wagers winning together. If any of the bets in the parlay lose, the entire parlay wager loses.
New York Retail Sportsbooks
If you prefer the feeling of a paper betslip in your hand, NY has you covered with retail sportsbooks as well. The following are the land-based casinos and sportsbooks in New York:
- Akwesasne Mohawk Casino
- DraftKings Sportsbook at Del Lago Resort Casino
- FanDuel Sportsbook at Tioga Downs
- Resorts World Catskills
- Rivers Sportsbook at Rivers Casino
- Seneca Allegany Resort & Casino
- Seneca Buffalo Creek Casino
- Seneca Niagara Casino
- The Lounge with Caesars Sports at Point Place Casino
- The Lounge with Caesars Sports at Turning Stone Resort & Casino
- The Lounge with Caesars Sports at Yellow Brick Road Casino
Can I Play at Online Casinos in NY?
Online casino games are still not legalized or regulated in New York so you are not currently able to play at online casinos if you live in the Empire State.
When Did NY Sports Betting Become Legal?
The 2013 law that paved the way for the construction of the upstate casinos allowed for sports betting to be legalized and offered at those casinos in the future.
There was still a federal ban on sports betting, which remained until a Supreme Court ruling in 2018 repealed the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act. It allowed every state in the US to legalize and regulate sports betting if they chose.
Each state was free to put its state laws and regulations in place. Sports betting became legal in New York then, although at first, it was only available at those few authorized casinos and not at other retail venues or race tracks.
In late April 2021, Gov. Cuomo finally signed the state budget that made online and mobile sports betting legal in New York State. But, it is still not clear how sports betting within the state will work.
NY Sports Betting Timeline
- 2013 – The New York Gaming Economic Development Act was passed, which allowed the development of four casinos that would take sports bets and wagers.
- May 14, 2018 – After a long and uphill battle, the Supreme Court rules in favor of New Jersey and declares the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 (PASPA) unlawful. This allowed all states to legalize sports betting.
- January 2019 – The New York Gaming Commission finalizes sports betting rules and regulations.
- July 2019 – The first legal sports bet in New York is placed at Rivers Sportsbook in Schenectady.
- April 1, 2021 – Governor Andrew Cuomo approves and backs a limited-operator, government-bid online sports betting model, as part of the state’s 2022 budget legislation.
- November 2021 – The New York Gaming Commission approves nine sportsbooks applications to take sports bets.
- January 8, 2022– Four online sportsbooks, DraftKings, FanDuel, Caesars and BetRivers take the first legal online sports bets in the great state of New York!