As online sports betting continues to spread, this provides you with even more outlets to be on your favorite NHL teams and the NHL in general.
A key component of a great online sportsbook is bonuses and promos. More specifically, the welcome bonus is the first thing to always look for.
With these bonuses, you can receive massive boons to your virtual wallet, allowing for more NHL wagering opportunities.
Here, we will look at those bonuses and more as we search for the best NHL betting destinations.
Benefits of NHL Betting Promos
- Added flexibility for wagering amounts and opportunities
- Take chances you otherwise wouldn’t
- More funds at your disposal
- Win more money on your wagers
- Wager on more NHL games
- Try out new wagering styles (props, totals, etc.)
- Double your wagers
Best Betting Sites With Hockey Signup Bonuses
Below is a list of the top-seven sportsbook hockey signup bonuses. These are all my own personal opinion.
Each sportsbook does come with an exclusive signup link from us here at The Game Day, so if you see a bonus you find appealing, click our exclusive offer link and signup today!
- Welcome Bonus:
- Tech Partner: William Hill
- Available in: NJ, AZ, NV, PA, IN, TN, WV, MI, IA, CO, LA, NY
At Caesars Sportsbook, your first deposit will be matched up to $1,500 when you sign up. That means if you deposit $1,500 when you sign up, you’ll have $3,000 to spend on the site, which can go a long way depending on your betting style.
- Welcome Bonus:
- Tech Partner: GVC Holdings
- Available in: NJ, MI, PA, CO, IN, AZ, DC, IA, TN, VA, NV, WV
The welcome bonus here is a $1,000 risk-free bet. If your bet loses, you will receive a free bet back in the amount of your first bet up to $1000. There is a $10 minimum deposit for this offer.
Depending on the amount of the free bet you’re getting back from the loss, you will receive the funds back in denominations of 20 percent over $50. So, if you have a $100 free bet coming back, you will receive five $20 free bets.
- Welcome Bonus:
- Tech Partner: PointsBet
- Available in: MI, NJ, WV, IL, CO, IA, IN
At a total value of $2,000, this deserves the number three spot. You’re probably wondering why this doesn’t rank higher because of the larger monetary value, but here’s why: $1,500 of the $2,000 is for the PointsBetting betting style PointsBet offers. This is a unique wagering type is a wild ride that may not be for everyone, but betting risk-free seems to be the perfect time to go a little wild. The remaining $500 of it is a traditional fixed odds bet.
PointsBetting is a feature in which you can wager on the total of an NHL game for increased risk. Meaning, if you bet the over, for every goal that goes over, you will earn your original wager multiplied by the number of points the total goes over.
For example, if you bet $20 on the over on a total of six goals, and eight goals are scored, You will win $40. However, if you bet the over, but it goes under, you will take a loss at the same rate as the win. So, if you bet the over on the six goals, but only four are scored, you will lose $40.
There is an exclusive code offering for this promotion, so make sure to hit our link below on this offer, as well as the six other offers listed above and below!
- Welcome Bonus:
- Tech Partner: Kambi
- Available in: AZ, CO, IA, IL, IN, MI, PA, VA, WV
What makes the BetRivers welcome bonus so appealing isn’t so much the monetary amount, but the ability to actually utilize it.
We’ll get into it later, but deposit bonuses have wagering requirements. If you don’t meet these you cannot withdraw the bonus funds you receive as cash.
At BetRivers, the wagering requirements are just 1x the bonus funds. So, if you deposit the full $250, you will just need to wager that $250 in cash to be able to withdraw the other $250 you received as a product of the 100 percent match. This makes the BetRivers truly risk-free, as the amount wagered would be 100% in site credit.
- Welcome Bonus:
- Tech Partner: BetAmerica
- Available in:AZ, CO, IN, MI, PA,TN
TwinSpires, formerly BetAmerica went through a massive overhaul in mid-2020, and came through with a new player offer of a $1000 risk-free bet when you sign up for a new account. To take advantage of this offer, you just need to register a new account, make a deposit and place your first bet and if that bet loses, you will get a free bet in the amount of that first bet up to $1000.
- Welcome Bonus:
- Tech Partner: FanDuel
- Available in: NJ, MI, IN, IL, PA, CO, TN, WV, VA, IA, AZ
FanDuel’s $1000 risk-free bet may seem familiar as many other online sportsbooks are offering this same promo, but there is a sharp distinction that sets FanDuel offer apart from the crowd. Yes, you get refunded if your first bet loses, but what makes FanDuel stand out is that your refund comes in the form of site credit, not a free bet.
Site credit plays the same as cash, so you can bet the site credit in any denomination and it pays both the wager and profit on winning bets. For example, if you win your bet at +200 in the amount of $1000, you would only receive $2000 in payouts. When you using site credit, you would get a $3000 ($1000 wager+$2000 profit) which
- Welcome Bonus:
- Tech Partner: FanDuel
- Available in: CO, MI, NJ, PA
While FOX Bets $500 risk-free bet is not the largest monetary number of the group, FOX Bet keeps the fun going after the risk-free bet has come and gone. FOX Bet has odds boosts and special betting options on almost every NHL matchup available and tons of promo offers daily.
With this bonus, you will have seven days to use your free bet that you receive after your first wager suffers a loss.
The minimum odds for this offer are -200. You must opt-in for this offer via our exclusive offer link.
NHL Sportsbook Promo Codes vs Bonus Codes
In reading anything related to online sportsbooks, you’ll often find the terms “promo code” and “bonus code”. Sure, these are two different phrasings, but they honestly mean the exact same thing.
So, moving forward, just know that one is not more important than the other and in fact, means the same thing.
Do You Need An NHL Promo Code?
Whether you need an NHL promo code or not all depends on the sportsbook themselves or if we here at The Game Day have an exclusive offer. We often do have exclusive offers, but generally speaking, not all promos and bonuses will need a promo code.
Click our “Get Bonus” link now to see what exclusive offers we do have!
Best Hockey Betting Promos
I’ve personally gone back and forth between risk-free bets and deposit bonuses, but risk-free bets will be my number one wager.
When you look at NHL games, there is definitely a degree of uncertainty game in, game out.
This means that underdogs could win more often than other sports.
With that, you can take risk-free bets and place them on NHL underdogs. If you lose, you get your money back, but if you win, then you’ve made yourself a lot of money.
A risk-free bet welcome offer allows for the most opportunity to make money immediately.
Also, there are no wagering requirements, which is always an added bonus.
Deposit bonuses do come with wagering requirements, as mentioned, but the high monetary amounts and potential make them a welcome bonus you cannot ignore.
At a 100 percent rate and up to $1,000 or more in some cases, this means a lot of potential added winnings.
Sure, the wagering requirements play a huge factor, but once you understand what the wagering requirements are, you can curate your first deposit and wager around it and make it something feasible to take advantage of and earn.
Think of it this way: You can pretty much double your bet right away on an NHL game. It’s probably better for the sake of the wagering requirements to ensure you wager on something you feel confident in as opposed to risk-free bets where you can get a bit more reckless.
Hockey Betting No-Deposit Bonus
No-deposit bonuses are fantastic. It’s free cash and sometimes very low or no wagering requirements at all. However, what earns them the number three spot is the lack of monetary upside. Usually, this offer comes with a relatively low amount, like $10-$25.
Sure, this is an immediate impact on your virtual wallet, but it doesn’t have longevity. Nonetheless, it’s still a fantastic offer to receive and is even sometimes an add-on to one of the bonuses mentioned above. This could serve as a quick way to throw some money down on your favorite NHL team.
Bet & Get
My stance on Bet & Get promotions used to be quite negative. Of course, landing at the bottom of this list I’m still not psyched about them, but they’re fine if it’s the only thing available to you.DraftKings offers a promotion like this.
With these offers, you will have a certain amount of funds in which you can earn. It acts as a deposit bonus in that you will be able to earn a percentage of the deposit you made back in site credit.
Basically, the way it works is you pay the wagering requirements upfront. For example, if the promotion is you will receive 20 percent of a deposit of up to $1,000, but must wager $25 to earn each $1, this could take quite some time to even earn a single dollar.
In this circumstance, if you deposit $100, you will be able to receive a maximum of $20 in bonuses. However, you with then need to wager $500 to receive the full $20.
Again, these types of bonuses have their place at online sportsbooks, but it definitely lacks that initial punch for NHL wagers like other welcome bonuses offers.
Special Welcome Bonuses For New Signups During the Hockey Season
There are currently no unique welcome bonuses available. However, there were plenty prior to this writing, but with the holidays and Black Friday coming and going, they have since disappeared.
At The Game Day, we will always keep you up to date with these new promos, so make sure to keep an eye out and check back regularly.
We are gearing up for yet another holiday stretch, so expect some new exclusive welcome bonuses from us to be available very soon!
How To Pick the Best NHL Sportsbook Bonus
Below is a list of things to look for to pick your favorite/the best NHL sportsbook bonus.
- Odds Restrictions: These will dictate what markets you can and cannot bet on. If there are no odds restrictions, you can bet on anything to count toward the offer. However, some bonuses can offer less than appealing odds. So, the better the odds, the better the promotion, generally speaking. For example, odds restrictions of -200 or greater are better than -150 or greater.
- Time Constraints: This works for both when you must make the wager and also when you must use whatever the bonus is by. For when to make the wager, the best way to combat this is to simply not create an account until you are ready to wager. For a time restraint on when to use it, thankfully the NHL has games all throughout the week so you will have ample opportunity to use the bonus you receive, especially from a risk-free welcome bonus.
- Type of Bonus: We ranked our top bonuses above. Generally speaking, this is a good guide for the best bonuses but could be different depending on the type of player you are.
- Market Prohibitions: Sometimes, welcome promos will prohibit you from wagering on a certain type of market. For example, some free bets are not allowed to be used on live wagers or parlays, while other offers don’t have a disclaimer for that.
- Distribution of Free Bets: With free bet refunds from risk-free wagers, it’s also important to take note of how the free bet or bets you receive back will be administered. With it be just one free bet, or will it be in increments? If you receive the free bet back in increments, this could allow you to spread the free bets around on multiple NHL games.
- Free Bets vs. Site Credit: On your risk-free promotions, it’s very important to figure out if your refund on the risk-free bet is a free bet or site credit. Free bets are a lot more flexible and easy to use, whereas site credit may come with a wagering requirement.
- Wagering Requirements: This is perhaps the most vital aspect of a welcome bonus. Wagering requirements typically only apply to deposit, no-deposit, bet & get promos, and some risk-free promos. We’ll discuss these more later, but this could be the difference between you needing to wager a smaller amount or a gargantuan amount of money in order to access your bonus funds as cash for withdrawal.
How To Use Hockey Betting Bonuses
For this, let’s look back at the four bonuses we ranked above.
- Risk-Free Bet: With these, you can definitely get a bit riskier. Again, NHL games can definitely provide an opportunity for wagering on an underdog successfully. If you lose, you get the money back as either a free bet or site credit. If you win, you win a lot more money than you normally would. Some risk-free wagers will also allow you to wager on parlays as long as each leg remains under a certain odds restriction. So, in conclusion, bet on those underdogs.
- Deposit Bonuses: With the wagering requirements to keep in mind, the goal here is to win money. Of course, you want to win money regardless, but you cannot get as risky as you’d like with deposit bonuses as opposed to risk-free promos. With a deposit bonus, you can almost double your bet. The best way to use a deposit bonus is to perhaps use it incrementally as opposed to all on one wager.
- No-Deposit Bonus: This is a small amount of quick site credit. There’s really no great way to recommend how to use this beyond to using it on a wager you think will win, as with really any non-risk-free wager.
- Bet & Get: For this type of offer, the main way to get the bonus funds is to bet. So regardless of what you bet on, you will receive the funds.
Do NHL Betting Promos Have Restrictions or Limitations?
We mentioned a lot of this when we went over how to pick the best NHL sportsbook bonus. Some promos and bonuses out there will have restrictions and limitations on things such as the types of markets you can wager on, odds, and wagering requirements.
In our top-seven promos mentioned above, we listed all of the restrictions, so you’ll have all of that information.
However, just know that these limitations can be even more restricting at other sportsbooks.
We recommend reading our reviews of sportsbooks not mentioned here at The Game Day so you’re not blindsided if you venture away from the online sportsbooks mentioned on this page.
What Are Wagering Requirements?
Wagering requirements are what stands between you and being able to withdraw any bonus funds you receive.
The best way to think of wagering requirements is that they are the number of times in which you must wager your initial deposit (if the bonus involves a deposit) and/or the bonus funds received.
Let’s use a deposit bonus welcome offer as an example.
The offer is a 100 percent match up to $250. The wagering requirement is 10x the bonus funds and you deposit $100.
This means that you must wager $1,000 in cash to be able to withdraw the $100 in bonus funds you received.
Where Can I Legally Bet With Sportsbook Bonuses?
- New Jersey
- New Hampshire
- Louisiana (coming soon)
- West Virginia
- New York (coming soon)
- Rhode Island
Look for More than One NHL Sportsbook Bonus
Depending on the state you are located in, you may have multiple sportsbooks to choose from. This is a potential goldmine for you.
Remember, you do not need to play at only one online sportsbook—you can play at them all. This gives you the opportunity to take advantage of numerous welcome bonuses and exclusive welcome promos we have here at The Game Day. So, you can go to one sportsbook, create an account, get the welcome bonus and then move on to the next one.
Click on our “Get Bonus” button to see which bonuses are available for you in your state today!
Win. That. Money.