The conventional wisdom is that when you bet on a game, you bet on the result. This could be betting on the spread, outright winner (money line), or total points. But the conventional wisdom is wrong.
Not only can you bet on the result, but you can also bet on what happens in a game that is unrelated to the final score. This is known as prop betting. Props can include bets on the players, teams, and novelty props, providing a much wider range of outcomes to bet on.
If that sounds like your cup of tea, read on to see the best prop betting sites.
Best Prop Bets Today
Check out the best player prop bets this week with our props comparison tool, including projections to help you make the best decisions. Click “Place Bet" to unlock the associated sportsbook’s welcome offer and place your bet.
Benefits Of Prop Betting Online
The biggest benefit of betting on props online is that it can make any game interesting. If a game turns out to be a lopsided affair, it quickly becomes boring to watch. However, if you have a prop bet on the number of field goals or the number of yards a certain player has, then the game is still interesting.
For betting online versus betting in-person, betting online is better because you can bet at your fingertips (literally). Bets can be made at any time of day and at any place with a mobile or internet connection within a legal jurisdiction.
Other benefits of betting online include promos, a larger selection of bet types, and live streaming of games.
Best Prop Betting Sites
WinView Games dedicates its platform to prop betting, offering a plethora of prop markets to their bettors. On WinView, you play against other real players, instead of the house, where you place prop bets in real-time.
Watching the Jets game and think they will end up making a field goal on their current drive? Place a bet on it and see if you end up winning some money.
Originally started as a Daily Fantasy Sports (DFS) site, DraftKings entered the legal sports betting market in 2018 with a wide array of prop bets. Their extensive bet offerings help explain why they’re one of the most used sportsbooks in the country.
Prop-betting related benefits of DraftKings include:
- Large Selection of Prop Bets: DraftKings arguably offers the most comprehensive prop betting menu among all legal sportsbooks.
- User-Friendly App Interface: DraftKings has an app interface that is easy to use. Most importantly, their app makes it easy to find specific prop bets without having to scroll through several screens.
- VIP Program: DraftKings has a VIP program that is very generous to their most important customers. My friend won a coffee maker as a result of a DraftKings VIP promotion.
FanDuel also started as a DFS company. Once PASPA was overturned in 2018, FanDuel quickly established itself as one of the most popular sportsbooks in the US.
For prop betting, FanDuel is a great sportsbook to use because of the following:
- Huge Selection of Prop Bets: Not only does FanDuel have your usual prop betting options, but they have a few unique props that are only offered on the FanDuel app. These can include props between two players on which player will score more points, or props on which team will score the most points that week.
- Cash-Back Risk-Free Bet: FanDuel has a risk-free bet offer where if you lose your first bet, you get up to $1,000 back in site credit. This is unlike other sites where your risk-free bet comes back in the form of one free bet.
- User-Friendly App Layout: FanDuel has an app interface that is easy to use. Bettors can easily find the game they want to bet on as well as the props within that game that they are interested in.
Over the last year, BetMGM has revamped its sportsbook product by improving its app interface, bet selections, and prop bet offerings.
Benefits of the BetMGM Sportsbook app include:
- Ample Selection of Prop Bets: For every major sports league and a few minor leagues, BetMGM offers an impressive selection of props for every game. This includes player props, game props, and props on whether the final score will be odd or even.
- Easy-To-Navigate Prop Betting Menu: It is easier to find props on the BetMGM app compared to most betting apps because props are easily sortable for each game. Most importantly, BetMGM has a search bar where you can find the game that you are looking for by typing in the name of one of the teams.
- Risk-Free Bet: BetMGM has a risk-free bet offer where if you lose your first bet, you get up to $1,000 in the form of free bets.
A Philadelphia-based company, BetRivers has become increasingly popular as it’s spread to other states, including New Jersey where it operates under the SugarHouse name. In terms of prop betting, BetRivers has a competitive betting menu.
Benefits of the BetRivers Sportsbook include:
- Great Selection of Prop Bets: As a Kambi sportsbook, BetRivers has an endless selection of props. This includes player props, game props, team props, and even novelty props.
- Live Streaming of Games: For some international leagues, BetRivers has live video streaming of games.
- Search Bar: BetRivers has a search bar that makes it easy to find prop bets within the app.
- Generous First-Time Deposit Bonus: BetRivers has a great first-time user offer by matching first-time deposits 100% up to $250. This means that by depositing $250, you can have $500 to bet with and you only need to roll it over once.
As an Australian company, PointsBet offers unique props bets in order to stand out in the American marketplace.
Benefits of PointsBet include:
- PointsBetting: PointsBet has a unique prop bet called Points Betting. The way PointsBetting works is that it is like a spread bet, but more volatile. Instead of getting a fixed payoff, you win or lose a specific dollar amount based on how far the spread is from the final score. For example, if you take -3 on the Baltimore Ravens against the Indianapolis Colts and they win by 10 points, if you bet $10 on this you would get $70. However, if the Colts win by 10 points, you lose $130.
- Expansive Selection Of Fixed Odds Props: In addition to points betting, PointsBet offers a large palette of traditional fixed odds prop bets.
How To Pick The Best Prop Betting Sites
Broad Prop Betting Selection
The fun of prop betting is that you can bet on virtually anything in a game, so you should look for sportsbooks that offer the largest selection of props.
Best Sign-Up Offers
Sportsbooks are essentially giving away money to new customers, which is why you should search for prop betting sites that offer the best sign-up offers. Making money from sign-up offers is a good way to have a larger bankroll to experiment with betting on props.
Easy-To-Find Prop Bets
With hundreds of bets available for each game, it’s important to be able to find what you’re looking for quickly. That’s why I like prop betting apps that have a search function or filters to make finding my preferred props easy.
Easy-To-User Customer Interface
The best prop betting apps have an easy-to-use customer interface. There is nothing worse than a slow and confusing app interface, especially when you’re trying to lock in bets before games start.
Prop Betting Promotions
Prop-Betting-Specific Sign-Up Offers
Many sportsbooks offer specific prop betting sign-up offers to new customers. This can include offers such as if you bet $1 on either team and Kevin Durant scores a point or either quarterback completes a pass, you get $200 in free bets.
Many sportsbooks will offer profit boosts that can be applied to any bet, including prop bets. A typical profit boost is either25% or 50%. If a normal bet pays +100 without a profit boost, with a 50% profit boost it would pay +150 odds.
Prop Bet Parlay Insurance
DraftKings once offered $25 player prop parlay insurance where you get a free bet up to $25 for your first losing player prop parlay of the day.
How To Place A Prop Bet Online
Sign Up For An Account
You can’t win if you don’t play. To play the prop betting game, you need to sign up for a sportsbook account. The process is quite easy, as you simply put in your personal details and then you’re on your way.
Deposit Money Into Your Account
Once you have an account, you need to deposit money into it. That’s also easy, as there are many deposit options available from direct deposit, credit card, PayPal, cash at the casino cage, and more.
Make sure to take advantage of the sign-up offer before laying any bets. If it’s a deposit match, make sure the bonus is applied before you deposit. If it’s a risk-free bet, make sure that your first bet is a bigger bet than usual.
Placing A Prop Bet
Once you have an account and money in it, you’re free to bet however you’d like. Just select the bet you want and the dollar amount and hit the bet button.
Where Can I Legally Make Prop Bets Online?
Current Legal Online Betting Locations
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island
- Washington D.C.
- West Virginia
Future Legal Online Betting States
- New York
Choose More Than One Prop Betting Site
The best reason to choose multiple prop betting sites is that each site offers different odds, so you’ll want to be able to compare before placing your wager. For example, let’s say that you want to make an NFL prop bet on the Los Angeles Rams to score under 22.5 points. One site may offer the Rams under 22.5 points at -110, while another site will have them under 24 points at -115 odds. That extra juice is worth it because your bet could push if the Rams scored three touchdowns and a field goal.
Your best tool as a bettor is the ability to shop for the best prices between multiple sportsbooks.