BetRivers is one of the best sportsbooks on the market, renowned for its user-friendly experience and generous signups bonuses. Users will enjoy traditional bet types like moneylines, totals, and spreads, along with newer options like props and Same Game Parlays.
Moneyline wagering is the easiest wager type to understand. All you need to do is pick a team to win the game. Whether you like to put a straight bet on your favorite team or if you prefer to parlay a few underdogs, moneyline betting is a great choice.
In this article, we’ll explore how to bet moneylines on BetRivers sportsbook along with strategies to guide you toward success in this venture. You’ll also read about any rules involved with this market. By the end, you should have a clear sense of how to attack moneylines.
How to Do Moneyline Bets on BetRivers
Betting on moneylines is an easy process, simply follow these steps:
Step 1: Create an Account or Sign In
Get to the BetRivers homepage. Click “Join Now" to being the registration process. Create a username and password while also providing your name, address, and other personal information. Type in promo code ‘GAMEDAY’ to unlock the best signup bonus. If you’re an existing user, you just need to log in to your account.
Step 2: Deposit Funds
Now you’re ready to put money into your account by selecting ‘Deposit.’ There are numerous banking methods available for you, including eChecks, ACH, and more. Your funds will instantly be reflected within your account balance.
Step 3: Navigate the Betting Markets
Select your preferred sport or league. This will open up the games that are coming up on the schedule. You’ll see moneylines on the main page because it’s a traditional bet type, so you won’t have to click ‘More Wagers.’ Once you’ve decided on your pick, you’re ready for the next step.
Step 4: Add to Your Bet Slip
Click the moneyline that you want to add to your bet slip. You’re then able to type in your stake. You’ll see the potential payout based on your stake, along with the odds attached to the moneyline. You can adjust the size of your wager to your preference. Every time you do so, your payout will be updated.
Step 5: Straight or Parlay?
The last step is where you decide whether you want a single bet or a parlay. If you prefer the former, just click ‘Place Bet.’ Those who opt for parlays will go back to the betting markets to add another moneyline. You will see the two picks combined in a parlay on your bet slip. When you’re done building your parlay, you can place your wager.
What Does Moneyline Mean on BetRivers?
Each game has odds attached to both teams, known as the moneyline. When you select this as your bet type, you just need that team to win the game.
Let’s take a look at two examples to enhance your understanding:
Example 1: New York Yankees (-175) vs Boston Red Sox (+155)
Example 2: Los Angeles Lakers (+130) vs Los Angeles Clippers (-150)
The odds on each side determine your risk and payout. They are based on the implied win probability. For example, +100 has a 50% probability. There is a favorite and underdog, which we’ll explain in the section below.
BetRivers Moneyline Rules
There are a couple of rules to keep in mind when wagering on moneylines:
- MLB games need to go 8.5 innings (if home team is leading) or 9 if the road team is in the lead. Games that are called after five innings are void wagers because they did not meet this minimum requirement.
- Extra time (overtime) does not count in 3-way moneylines in soccer, where ties are an option.
Moneyline vs Spread
Moneyline picks just require you to take the winner of the game. Spreads involve the winning margin.
Let’s take a look at an example:
Los Angeles Chargers (-150) vs Las Vegas Raiders (+130)
If we take the Chargers here, we just need them to win the game.
Los Angeles Chargers -3 (-110) vs Las Vegas Raiders +3 (-110)
In this case, we need the Chargers to win by more than three points to hit our wager. We get discounted -110 odds (risk $110 to win $100) instead of -150 ($150 to win $100) due to this added requirement.
Underdog vs Favorite
The underdog has plus odds (+), while the favorite has a minus (-). The favorite has a higher implied probability than the underdog, meaning that they’re projected to win the game. This means that underdogs offer higher payouts, while favorites require you to stake more money.
Detroit Lions (+200) vs Minnesota Vikings (-250)
The Vikings are the favorites, while the Lions are the underdogs. If you wanted to win $100 on a Vikings bet, you’d need to risk $250. Lions bettors would get $200 on a $100 wager.
BetRivers NFL Moneylines
The NFL football is among the most popular sports betting markets in the world. As a traditional bet type, moneylines are extremely popular here. You can place a wager on the following options:
- Full game: focus on the entire game
- 1st/2nd/3rd/4th quarter: bet on one of the quarters
- 1st/2nd half: target one half
- Live moneyline: place an in-game wager with odds that update in real time
It’s best to target full game moneylines because it’s hard enough to project the winner — it’s even more challenging to do so in one portion of the game, like in a half or quarter. You may also opt to go with a live moneyline. This is a good option when a heavy favorite is losing early in the game and you can get them at a discounted price.
The Super Bowl is the premier sports betting event. You’ll be able to place a bet on the moneylines outlined above. Here’s where you’re more likely to wager on a quarter or half moneyline, since it’s the only game on the slate. I’d recommend targeting the first quarter, since it’s traditionally more low-scoring, as teams feel each other out.
Moneyline Bet Strategies
Let’s take a look at some strategies for moneyline wagers:
- Don’t lay too much juice on a moneyline straight bet. Anything can happen in sports, so you don’t want to be paying -160 or more odds on a team to win the game. Doing so can drain your bankroll in the long run.
- Take a look at a team’s home/away splits to see if there are any trends.
- Consider their recent performance to check out if they’re playing well at the time.
- Examine the head-to-head matchup to see if there are any mismatches between the teams.
- Check to see if there are any injuries to marquee players which could impact the result.
- Look at the moneyline and determine if it’s mispriced, resulting in an opportunity for value.
Moneyline Betting for Beginners
Be sure to follow these tips if you’re a beginner to moneyline wagering:
- Never lay more than -160 juice. This wager risks $160 to win $100. If you lose, it’s almost like dropping two bets.
- If you want to take heavy favorites, combine them in a parlay. This will lower your risk while maintaining a similar or better payout.
- Try to sprinkle fewer units on underdogs since they have a lower implied probability.
- You can combine these underdogs into parlays for higher payouts.
- Keep track of your record over the season so you know where you stand.
How to Calculate Moneyline Odds
You’ll notice that odds are displayed in American style on BetRivers. This is shown as positive or negative numbers. It relates back to $100. Below you’ll learn how to calculate this type of odds.
Example 1 (NHL): Avalanche (-180) over Predators
- Divide 180 / 100 = 1.8
- Divide 100 / 1.8 = $55.56
- $100 wager would pay $55.56
- Divide 180 / 100 = 1.8
- Multiply 100 / 1.8 = $180
- Risk $180 to win $100
Example 2 (MLB): Orioles (+150) over Yankees
- Divide 150 / 100 = 1.5
- Multiply 1.5 x 100 = $150
- $100 wager = $150 potential payout
Why Are Moneylines a Good Bet?
Moneylines can be a good bet for the following reasons:
- Target misprices to find value. This is great with underdogs.
- You can combine several underdogs to shoot for the moon on a parlay.
- They’re easy to understand — you just need a team to win.
- You won’t have to worry about your team covering the spread.
- It’s not as hard to project a winning team compared to the margin of victory (point spread).
Can Moneylines Be a Bad Bet?
We also have to make note of the cons associated with moneylines:
- Taking too many heavy favorites can be expensive in the long run.
- At the same time, it can be difficult to hit on an underdog.
- Don’t make too many parlays of heavy favorites because upsets happen often.
- You can end up getting burned if you take live moneylines sometimes.
What Sports Are Available for Moneylines?
The following sports are available for moneyline wagers:
- Formula One
Is There Bet Insurance on Moneylines?
Some sites offer signup bonuses known as “First Bet Insurance." This is a welcome offer where new users are refunded on their first wager if it loses. It’s capped at a certain number, often between $200 and $1,500. Moneylines can be used on this type of offer. However, check the terms of conditions, as minimum odds are usually about -200.
This means that you can’t place a moneyline wager at -300 odds for your bet insurance.